Linux! Susi!! help me out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majig

Broken In
I am new to linux. I have tried three distros till now!
- Rad hat, Knopix and Susi. Susi(personal edition - from digit DVD)
looked the most impressive. First it looked great and it natively supported
my NTFS pertitions. Soon I got hooked into it. But few problems are
giving me lots of problem. I want you guys to help me out.
1. I made susi to auto login my account. But many a times it gets stuck in text mode
after login command. (Infact just for this reason i had to reinstall susi 5 times)
2. Why is it that two programs in Susie cannot access sound drivers(?).i.e I cannot run both mplayer and XMMS. It gives an access error. Is it general or my machin specific.
3. Also there is a sound problem with quicktime movie files that ran from Digit CDs. Though the video runs smoothly no sound comes out. I have installed both GXine and Mplayer with all the codec(i mean native W32 dll codecs). Yes i tried in 'text mode' also
4. My machin is PIV 1.8 Ghz., 845GL chipset mother borad with 125 MB Ram. Now I cannot run quack3demo in susie but it run smoothly in Radhat 9 in the same system.
I have install Mesa lib.
5. Finally I have an internal Frontech PCtel HSF 2868 MicroModem. After a lot of search in net i have comes to this conclusion its better to get a external one. But any one with help is welcome. There are linux drivers for the modem in its CD. But i have not able to install it.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Okay .. First its Suse :p ...

Hmm now to your problems ..
When you login to your account and gui doesnt come , on the command prompt type :
StartX (press enter)
Btw .. If that doesnt help then type :
xconfig (press enter)
Configure your graphic system with it .. You can also use:
Yast2 (press enter) and then clicking on Hardware > Graphics ..

2 Hmm.. Maybe your sound card drivers arent installed ..what sound card is that ..? Search on the net if your soundcard is supported or not ...
5 I too have that modem and I have tried many a times unsuccessfuly installing it .. :( ..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
majig said:
....I have tried three distros till now! - Rad hat, Knopix and Susi. Susi(personal edition - from digit DVD)
never heard of these distros.... its RedHat (not Rad Hat), Knoppix (not Knopix), SuSE (not Susi) :) :) :) :) :) :)

majig said:
looked the most impressive. First it looked great and it natively supported my NTFS pertitions.
NTFS is actually natively supported by almost all distros, including Knoppix, you must not have cared to notice it!... except RedHat for which you have to recompile kernel...

majig said:
1. I made susi to auto login my account. But many a times it gets stuck in text mode after login command. (Infact just for this reason i had to reinstall susi 5 times)
Assuming that you're logging in from KDM (Kde's GUI login manager) ... then there's nothing wrong with the X configuration... could you provide the error message that you get while logging into your desktop

This might sound strange, but if you have accidently removed ALL permissions from /tmp directory then also this happens... just make sure that /tmp directory is having 777 mode...
# chmod --recursive --silent ugo+rwx /tmp

majig said:
2. Why is it that two programs in Susie cannot access sound drivers(?).i.e I cannot run both mplayer and XMMS. It gives an access error. Is it general or my machin specific.
Its a general problem... when a process is doing sound IO then it opens /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp devices for writing sound files... if these files are open then other process get an access denied error... i think other sound drivers like ALSA and OSS also behave this way only...

majig said:
3. Also there is a sound problem with quicktime movie files that ran from Digit CDs. Though the video runs smoothly no sound comes out. I have installed both GXine and Mplayer with all the codec(i mean native W32 dll codecs). Yes i tried in 'text mode' also
haven't tried playing with native Win32 libs...

majig said:
4. My machin is PIV 1.8 Ghz., 845GL chipset mother borad with 125 MB Ram. Now I cannot run quack3demo in susie but it run smoothly in Radhat 9 in the same system. I have install Mesa lib.
What error does it give ? try capturing those messages by running from an xterm and redirecting the debug messages to a plaintext file.

majig said:
5. Finally I have an internal Frontech PCtel HSF 2868 MicroModem. After a lot of search in net i have comes to this conclusion its better to get a external one. But any one with help is welcome. There are linux drivers for the modem in its CD. But i have not able to install it.
Can you mail me those drivers ? I'll try compiling them... i used to use external modems so i didn't face any problems ...
meanwhile read these: Similar problems posted by other people:
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/35/2004/07/3/204280
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/25/2003/08/4/82816

OP
M

majig

Broken In
:oops:
................Ooops I'm gonna die of shame!

As far as the problem regarding logging ........
I dont remember having any error massages. It just stoppes after
longin

may be (i think(?)) KDM doesn't start.

One more thing Last time that happend reboot 2 and 3 times and out of frustration I stopped using Linux for few weeks. After that when i tried again it did boot into GUI mode. Till now it is working fine!

B.t.w. there is error massage i get on every boot....
what is the reason for this.
scanning pci: *W******.*WWmodprobe: FATAL: Error inserting hw_random (/lib/modules/2.6.4-52-default/kernel/drivers/char/hw_random.ko): No such device

GNUrag wrote

haven't tried playing with native Win32 libs...

You KNOW my english ........... Actually i mean to say that i got all the codecs including native W32dll codecs which are required to play wmv9 and some quicktime files. Can you play those quicktime movies?

Here is the error massage i got while running q3demo -

...loading libGL.so: QGL_Init: Can't load libGL.so from /etc/ld.so.conf or current dir: libglide2x.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed
...loading libMesaVoodooGL.so: QGL_Init: Can't load libMesaVoodooGL.so from /etc/ld.so.conf or current dir: libglide2x.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed
-----
Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom