a)user friendly
b)stabitlity
c)virus,spywares etc
d)gaming
e)programs that can work.a gud media player is a must
and last but not the least keeping in veiw the picture of a 10th class student

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Check your avatar... its suckingly big...
amanwannalearn said:
ONE SIMPLE STRAIGHT QUESTION........
Dig this forum hard... for the past one month we've been answering this question and debating on this very hard....
amanwannalearn said:
No STRAIGHT ANSWERS
??
amanwannalearn said:
Dude Which Is Better Linux Or Windows
Do i have to say anything here ?
amanwannalearn said:
a)user friendly
Heard of GNOME ? KDE ?
amanwannalearn said:
b)stabitlity
No doubt about it! If it can run Spacecrafts then what else is left....
amanwannalearn said:
c)virus,spywares etc
Viruses: no chance... there's hardly anything like that.... people say that viruses on linux may crop up if linux becomes a daily use OS... but i dont see any point there.. the UNIX filesystem just doesn't support antything to execute all of a sudden
Spywares: Should be careful to install packages... you'll be better off to download packages from your distribution's website...
amanwannalearn said:
There are some projects going on .... but dont expect Doom3 or Quake or DirectX or that crap stuffs ....
amanwannalearn said:
e)programs that can work.a gud media player is a must
mplayer together with its skins and plugins can entice you to stop using WinAmp or something else...
amanwannalearn said:
and last but not the least keeping in veiw the picture of a 10th class student[/b]
Oh gosh... i thought i was flaming some uncle here ....

tuxfan

Technomancer
Linux. Since I have given you the right answer, you owe me a million dollars :D

On a serious note, you weigh the pros and cons. Linux is far more secure and stable than Windows. There are some viruses, but they can never wreak havoc on your systems. Anti-virus softwares are also available (for example, ClamAV). Stability is world class. It has changed so much over last some time that it is no longer lacking in user friendliness. It has lovely media players.

It lags behind in available games, but is fast catching up. If you are a newbie and will have to learn the OS that you chose. I would strongly recommend Linux.

tuxfan

Technomancer
BTW, don't pay too much attention to the poll results, although, as of now it is in agreement with my opinion.

You weigh the pros and cons yourself. Take a search here or at google for Linux vs. Windows threads/articles. You will find plenty. Arguments put forward in those threads will give you a true picture.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i too am a linux fan (and a hard core user) BUT comming to reality, a comman man (common user) who needs to use his (or her) pc for routine tasks like office work and a bit of internet the ease of windows cannot be overlooked. For such users a low end entry level pc with win 98/2000 is still the best bet . please do not think that i under estimating linux and its powers but this still is a hard reality that we have to take it with a pinch(or fist full) of salt.

busyanuj

In the zone
if you're beginner in computers, go for Linux.

if you're accustomed to using computers, go for Linux.

:D

firewall

In the zone
well, i think u people are not talking about the kernel by Linus Torvalds, called 'LINUX' ....... ;)

:)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Here you are at it again firewall :). Please don't confuse a newbie with technicalities. Let him use the more popular terms till he is ready. And most of the people, including tech magazines call it Linux!! So let it be that way as of now. We will surely tell him to call it GNU/Linux when he is more familiar.

firewall

In the zone
@TUX .....and that day he will refuse to accept the fact , saying " i used to say this and nobody has told me before....." ;)

:)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
All Penguins here ...

I am a W2K fan ..

Btw .. This has been debated many times and without any outcome ...

BONZI

Journeyman
Well I must agree windows is better than linux in just eye candy and ease of installing hardwares and software. BTW a n00b is not a n00b always so things will not be that tough then. Watch out for Linux in the next couple of years. I'm sure that linux in 2006 will be easy to use than longhorn :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
firewall said:
@TUX .....and that day he will refuse to accept the fact , saying " i used to say this and nobody has told me before....."
What if he says at present that these things sounds so complicated!! Kernel and all!! How complicated it will actually be? I don't want to try it at all. Will you take that? :) That could be really harmful to his interests also!!

The thing is that majority of people call it Linux. No debate on the point whether it should be called Linux or GNU/Linux. But let him use the more popular terms till his knowldege about it rises to the level that he can actually realise what GNU is and why a controversy about its name. In my opinion, its a storm in a tea-cup :roll: Nothing to take away from the contribution of Richard Stallman. He is a genius and his contribution is immense. But naah. I wouldn't tell a newbie that Linux is just a kernel and all that technical stuff. How is he concerned about it? Why should he care? He is interested in getting his work done. Thats it.

BTW, this place is not the right place for this argument at all. Shall do so later at some more appropriate thread :)

As of now, let him be aware of the pros and cons of Linux and Windows. Help him do that first. Then we will concentrate on technicalities.
-------------
PS : A rose would still smell as sweet even if it is called something else.
Source: Quote piracy ;)

shaunak

Tux Fan
installing hardware/software on linix is definatly not easy adapting to it is difficult, user friendly has gone for a walk, and how many games can u play on it. so to a beginer/gamer windows will definatly be more apealing.

yet there r 2 resons 2 choose linix
1) $$$$$$$$$$ money of course!
2) most softwares r free and u can make it a mail/net /lan server easily
3) lisense is given to any no. of comps/ any config:
unlike win xp which grants lisense to only 2 processers per pc and 1 pc per licence.
:arrow:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Installing software removing software upgrading software on any linux machine is as simple as windows use xrpm it gives a good gui and a very user friendly interface to do all housekeeping.

tuxfan

Technomancer
There are plenty of games even on Linux. Actually, there is a distro called Morphix. It is a live distro so no need to install and is completely game centric. If you want to play games, pop in the CD, switch on the machine and boot from the CD. Voila!! You are in for a lot of games. I have the CD. So if any one wants to have a look at it can let me know (and be ready to pay CD-R and shipping cost ;). No copying charges :) )

However, all the popular games are not available under Linux. But still there are plenty of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom