P-I ,196MB SD RAM,20 gb HDD

I wanna use that PC for

1) internet purpose
2) audio Player
3) some office purposes like reading PDF ,Word & Exel
4) want it to be fast & not Sluggish

I earlier had win 98 & Office 2000 on it

Now i wanna use Linux on it.Suggest me a distro & give me link too

U may ask Y...Its my first PC & its like 1st Love...

Help me out

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
You use slackware or ubuntu(with xfce)
basically most distro's will work with it but you will need to you low on resources desktop package like xfce instead of gnome or kde.

If you new to the linux world then i would tell you to go for xubuntu another folk of ubuntu which comes with xfce preinstalled.

refer xubuntu.org

mediator

Technomancer
I guess here u shud install some older Linux distroo like some old Gentoo version that compiles from source and hence will give u performance benefits or u can use damn small linux. I have tried DSL, and I think it matches all ur requirements!!

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
Talk about coincidence! I wanted to ask this very question! My old rig's an AMD K-6, with 128 MB SDRAM and an 8 GB hard disk (blushes). Dug it out of the garage yesterday and went through it. Its got nothing worthwhile on it (does Windows '98 count?), so I d/l ubuntu, and here's where the screw up started. I d/l an iso file, and the instructions said to burn that onto a cd. I did that, and tried booting. No joy. The computer still reads it as an iso cd. On a hunch, I ran WinRAR on it. Voila! The darn .iso file on the cd is an archive containing all the required linux files. Since its compressed, its not reading the boot files. So now I figure I've gotta get me another cd, and extract the .iso I downloaded onto the cd, and then run it. Am I right?

Oh, and once I figured this out, I had nothing else of consequence to do, so I dug out my Israeli Air Force cd (I'm a simnut) and decided to get some airtime. Turns out Win'98 isn't detecting my mouse. The mouse is attached to a PS/2 port (those're the tiny round ones, right?), while the keyboard is connected through a COM port (its big and round, so I figure its a COM port). It says 'Mouse aint detected, keep an eye on your cat'. Well, not exactly, but you get my drift. It asks me to shut down and connect my ps/2 mouse, and try again, if I want one installed. That dont help. Nigga' don't see the thing. And I checked on the net, found out that all OS's after win2000 come with pre-installed ps/2 support, so there ain't no such thing as driver updates required by modern pcs. So where does that leave old timers like the K-6?

Summing it up:
*Need to extract .iso's contents to cd to create linux disk. y/n?
*PS/2 Rodent not being detected. Suspect Cat. Besides persuading it to regurgitate said rodent out, what else can I do? Help in the way of drivers would be appreciated a lot. Darn critters can't drive for nuts. Ever heard of a pussy behind the wheels of the catmobile? Nien.

Oh, wait, there was Catwoman.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
xubuntu or dreamlinux. both based on debian and very light on resources. dreamlinux gives you almost everything out of the box. only thing u need to download from the tasks you've mentioned is openoffice spreadsheet and openoffice presentation, all other thing work out of the box, openoffice wordprocessor, xmms (for ur mp3 playback), dvd, vcd, video files everything. plus it looks really very very cool considering how lighweight it is.. on storage as well as ram requirements.

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
It took me a week to download ubuntu, I'm damn well sticking to it!!! Help me out with the mouse, won't you?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Cyclone said:
Summing it up:
1) Need to extract .iso's contents to cd to create linux disk. y/n?
2) PS/2 Rodent not being detected. Suspect Cat. Besides persuading it to regurgitate said rodent out, what else can I do? Help in the way of drivers would be appreciated a lot. Darn critters can't drive for nuts. Ever heard of a pussy behind the wheels of the catmobile?
1) you shudn't extract and then burn those files. neither should you simply burn the iso. it won't do. search for an option called "burn image..." in whatever cd/dvd mastering you use and then select the .iso file as the image file.

2) we can't rule out the possibility of a bad mouse. does this mouse work on some other computer? even win98 doesn't need any drivers for the ps2 mouse. so all i can say is this... test this mouse on some other system if u can or first burn the linux cd as i mentioned above (using burn image option) then boot from it. it boots a live version of ubuntu. if ur mouse works there then there's some driver/resource allocation problem in windows. if it doesn't then hand over the mouse to ur household cat!!! ;)

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
infra_red_dude said:
1) you shudn't extract and then burn those files. neither should you simply burn the iso. it won't do. search for an option called "burn image..." in whatever cd/dvd mastering you use and then select the .iso file as the image file.

2) we can't rule out the possibility of a bad mouse. does this mouse work on some other computer? even win98 doesn't need any drivers for the ps2 mouse. so all i can say is this... test this mouse on some other system if u can or first burn the linux cd as i mentioned above (using burn image option) then boot from it. it boots a live version of ubuntu. if ur mouse works there then there's some driver/resource allocation problem in windows. if it doesn't then hand over the mouse to ur household cat!!! ;)

Yowww!!! Now THAT is the reply I wanted! IR Dude, you're homing right in! I'll follow up on *1 and get back to you. Sounds like it'll do just fine. Regarding *2 (sorry, keyboard's messed up too, got a different lay-out. None of the special symbols match with the keys they're printed on), the mouse works fine on my P4, so its probably a Windows screw-up. I'll try linuxing it. Otherwise, the neighbour's cat gets a freebie. Lucky critter.

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
Hokay, **** iz happahning. I burnt the image onto a disk just like the IR Dude reco'd, and booted from it. I get a screen with 6-7 options like "Start or Install Ubuntu", "Start Ubuntu in Safe Graphics Mode", "Memory Test", "Check Disk for Errors", etc etc. So I selected "Star or Install Ubuntu". It takes me to a list of various services being [OK]'d, about two pages worth, including GNOME something something. Then the screen goes black for some time, before going all orange and everything with Ubuntu written in the centre, and an error box up to the left, informing me that GNOME has just messed up bigtime, and certain services like themes, backgrounds etc might not show up, and gnome'll reload the next time I log in. Its got a 'Close' button, but I can't move the mouse pointer or select it with the keyboard. It shows this for about fifteen-odd minutes, before blacking out completely. Oh, and throughout this thirty-five - forty-odd minute procedure (Yeah, well, I'm jobless), the CD's continuously being read. Fast. I had to restart manually twice, and now its time for some Silent Hunter. Any brainwaves? Running the "Check Disk for errors" says that there were two errors found and press any key to restart, but thats all it says or does. Helpful, what?

Oh, and I got around the mouse issue by digging out my eight year old three button logitech serial mouse, which, I am happy to say, is working magnificently for something that old. Oh Happy Days! :)

Not one to give up easily (another way of saying I'm still jobless), I decided to give Tux another go. So I reboot, go to the menu, and press F1. Tadaa! An amazingly unhelpful help page with nothing related to what the menu screen I'd just left displayed. After staring at it for a minute or so with my mouth hanging somewhere near my belly, I hitched up the lower jaw and decided its time for some 'jugaad'. Somewhere in the Help page, it said something about live booting from the cd by typing Boot:Live acpi=off. So I went back to the menu, selected Boot Options (F6), and typed in just that. This time, I got a scrolling list of stuff I wont pretend to know anything about, and was just about to breathe in again when the scrolling stopped, and the caps lock and scroll lock indicators started blinking. It said, at the bottom of a long and similar list, those terrible, terrible words - Panic! More specifially;

[74873657] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown - block (104, 1)

Any ideas?

Oh, and not bad for a newb, what? :D

Last edited:

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ Yo! Babe :D

Listen dude, you are going for the wrong distro!! 128MB SD RAM is a thing of the past. Since you are using gnome (I think you have downloaded the latesht 7.04 Ubuntu), theres no way you can install it on YOUR system, In any case if you do install it by doing some "khurafaat", then your Ubuntu wont go ahead of the log in screen. This is what happened in my case. Ubuntu 6.06 worked like charm, but 7.04 wont work. It wants a bit more of RAM (Mine is also 128 MB SD), possibly around 256 MB (This is the minimum system requirement you see:D)

The better option would be to choose another distro (Its your Hard Luck, you shouldve asked here or anywhere else before downloading the distro) that suits your "powerless" rig and try ir again.

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<clutches hair, runs around screaming>

With just a week of summer break left, there ain't no way I'm gonna sit around waiting for another 600+ MB download to finish. I guess I'll install it on this system instead. It was supposed to be the culmination of my summer holiday geekiness, and was the means with which I'd bring my old system back to life. I guess that can wait for winter. First thing tomorrow, I'm running FF on this one. Lets see how it goes...

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
So I left off, telling you guys that I'd try installing it on my P4 and see how it goes. I'm doing it right now. Cynosure baby, you were right, my AMD just didn't have enough juice. This one goes all the way till the desktop no problemo. I see an 'Install' icon on the desktop, so I double-click - so far so good. The installation has 7 steps. I go through Language, Region, Keyboard Layout, and then encounter the monkey-wrench. In step 4, which is where I have to select the partition I want to install it to, I'm given a list of four partitions, none of which are the C,D,E,F I'm used to by now, but thats okay - Linux is going to be different, and different isn't necessarily a bad thing, so I don't let the morale hang low. Previously, I'd read up various threads on this forum, and figured I'd need to keep one partition ready for Ubuntu. I clear out most (all) of the stuff on F. But the table in step 4 shows four drives (devices, it says). /dev/sda1 , whose Mount Point is /media/sda1, has unknown used space. The next two, surprisingly listed as, respectively, /dev/sda5 and 6 with the respective mount points at /media/sda 5 and 6 are okay, and /dev/sda7 at /media/sda7 has 2700 MB used. I figure the last one's F:, and for some reason Its showing up as 2.7k used, but I can let it go, so I select it and click on 'Forward'. Surprise Surprise, I get an error message saying something like 'Root file not specified'. What do I do? If I select 'Edit Partition', I can change the size, the type (fat or ntfs) and the mount point. Any suggestions?

PS - Only one week of summer break left, after that its back to college, and I don't have a pc in my room, so plz hurry :)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
u need to give a partition for root which is denoted by "/" and a swap partition of around 500 MB or less in the installer gui.what the installer trying is to auto enable mounting of ur windows(?) partitions in ubuntu.Linux FS are ext3 which is used.
read below article.its for u:
New to Ubuntu 7.04?
*help.ubuntu.com/7.04/newtoubuntu/C/index.html
for P-I like systems try a distro called Antix based on simplymepis.

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
English, English!!!

<bangs head on keyboard>

Hmm..its trying to mount my four windows partitions in linux, when I want it to mount linux in one of my four windows partitions - Impressive. And I thought only Microsoft does stuff the wrong way :))

Going through the link. Meanwhile, any direct help in the do-this-here format you could give me would be appreciated...especially in getting through Step 4/7 - and I checked in the ubuntu forums, /dev/sda7 is definitely the partition I want linux installed in. How? That is the question....

PS - Wow, you just linked me back where I was...

PPS- The installer GUI ain't askin' me for anything, except which partition to install to. I'm expected to click on one and press enter...

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Hmm..its trying to mount my four windows partitions in linux, when I want it to mount linux in one of my four windows partitions - Impressive. And I thought only Microsoft does stuff the wrong way
ur confused?It is the OS which mounts partns,not partns mounting partns :?

Ubuntu asks whether it shud mount ur windows partns later on while u boot into linux.while from windows u can access Linux partns it is difficult.I'll say finish ur installation with a "/" partn and a "swap" partn thats all u need to look to.open ur partn manager in Ubuntu and make a / and swap partns.
EDIT:wait,i got a screenshot tour of ubuntu install hope it helps u know,
*www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn-beta-preview.html

Last edited:

Cyclone

Darth Penguin
It is the OS which mounts partns,not partns mounting partns

Thats news to me, brother. Though now that you mention it, yeah, it makes sense :D

Right, click on the fourth screenshot - I selected manual, just to make sure Tux doesn't zap all my data. Actually, if it was just my data, I wouldn't mind, but its got a lot of other stuff (dad's, primarily), thats not really backed up (well, you know what dads are like), so I don't want any truck with it. When I select 'Manual', it takes me to the partition manager, with a table containing a couple of columns including 'Device', 'Type', 'Mount Point', 'Total Space', and 'Free Space'. I select /dev/sda7, and click on 'Forward', but the 'Specify root file to mount os' or something error pops up. That iz za issue...

praka123

left this forum longback
*www.ubuntugeek.com/images/feisty/22.png
select manual partitioning dude-then,
For eg: after /dev/sda7 in Mount point add a "/" without quote.now make a swap partn of 500MB or lesser and select as Type- swap
^see-u need to give the "/" there- partn where u going to install ubuntu
.that error is that u need to specify it as the root or "/" where ur ubuntu is gonna be installed.below links are useful for u.but read that after u completes the ubuntu install.hrmm...;)
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/starting.htm
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom