linux on ntfs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
i have windows xp on ntfs partition..i tried running ubuntu live cd on it..it took long time and at end hung.was tht b'cos of the file system????

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
it was not bcoz of the files system. live cd's are always slower than the installed version and can hang. are u running a low end computer.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
romeo did u try running live cd on windows. It is an Operating System on it's own. You need to reboot the computer with cd in the drive and cd drive as first boot device. Ubuntu will load and run from the cd.
If you want to run linux apps on windows try cygwin. But, it's better to run them under linux only.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
@tech your future
i did that.even a noob will do that.only what i say is that it loads slower.i tried knopix live cd it worked fine,but couldnt play/open files(guess thats bcos of ntfs file system).so the questn is why did ubuntu dint work?
system config:
128mb ram,celeron 1.7ghz.40gb hd.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It has nothing to do with your filesystem. It is your RAM. Recommended RAM for KDE and GNOME is 256 MB in a operating system installed on your hard disk.
A live cd works from temporary memory so the contents of live cd are stored into your memory too. So with a RAM of 128 MB you will never be able to use KDE and GNOME based live cd.
Here's some info on live cd's *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_cd
Try using a live cd like Puppy LInux for a usable performance. It won't give you a fast running system with such a less RAM but will sure be more usable.
If you don't believe me delete your NTFS drive and then run the cd too. I can bet you will have no performance gain with those specifications. A live cd does not make any use of hard disk unless you make it use the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom