Linux on my Laptop (Sony Viao)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharj

Broken In
Hi
I have always been curious about using linux, but i was always scared to replace the OS in my laptop as I did not want to lose my documents and other data. Now finally I have bought a new computer so i would like to install Linux on my old one. But I am unsure about how to go about it.

Can any one please give me pointers on how to go about it?

I will be using the laptop for the basic home/office purposes, mainly web access, email some word processing and a few spreadsheets. And not to forget a few MP3's . If I am able to play some games That would be a bonus ( Nothing hard care just stuff like solitaire etc)

So Can any one please advice me what i should do?

The Laptop I am using is about 6 years old.

It is a sony Viao PCG GX 580
Intel Pentium 4 Mobile CPU 1.7 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Sony CD-RW CRX810E
2 PCMCI Slots
Network Adapter
It also has a Sound card Yahama AC - XG
Build in Modem (Conexant Ambit Soft 56K Data fax Modem)
40 GB Hdd Partationed into 25 + 15 GB Sections

Any And All help will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

-Tushar

ps I consider my self a decently tech savy person but am by no means an expert or even close to one so please bear that in mind

thanks again

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Tushar feel free to experiment... Me too recently installed ubuntu... Jus go thru d open source thread n u will find everything u require. Rite now I m trying to make mp3, wmv n odr files wrk on ubuntu...

Only thing u need to b careful is d partitions. Go thru tutorial b4 u experiment wit partitions.

pravesh_4766

Broken In
u should have to try suse 10.2 its good ,otherwise u have to try the linux mint ,not hte fedora bcoz it having the vedio proble

praka123

left this forum longback
be it fedora or any other distros,they cant bundle proprietory plugins as they are licence restricted atleast in USA.so what?u can just install from internet using corresponding package manager(s).

faraaz

Evil Genius
If you are a newbie, installing from internet can be daunting. If you don't have proper internet connection on your linux box (like me) that can be a big problem. Therefore, the DVD versions of Distros out there are especially useful..

However, the major reason DVD versions are good is that they bundle a load of software with them so that you are able to be fully functional right out of the box. Also, may I personally recommend Sabayon? It's a mind blowing distro...

OP
T

tusharj

Broken In
hi
Guys thanks for the advice. some of the links were really useful. Is it right to assume that I do not have to search for some special flaver/version of Linux for the laptop?
My concern is will the normal versions allow me to use the built in track pad( in stead of a mouse) ? and also will the laptop keyboard ( different from the regular key board ) be compatible? and last but not leaset will the PCMCI Slot work?

please let me know if my concerns are valid or not.

thanks

faraaz

Evil Genius
Sabayon's laptop support is pretty cool...especially for Sony Vaio laptops. Hell, there's a whole menu only for VAIO laptops in the KDE Control Center.

To answer your questions, there isn't any special version of Linux. The special keys on your laptop MAY not be supported...but that way Ubuntu has pretty comprehensive support for such things. PCMCI slot also...may or may not work, depends on certain distros.

Most concerns of yours can only be addressed once you put yourself out there, get a distro...install and then see what you can and cant do. Accordingly, you will work your way towards a functional Linux install.

PS: I just formatted my 300 GB SATA and installed only Sabayon on it last night! I've still got a 160 GB SATA on which I plan on putting Vista only for playing games...but as of now, I'm Winblows free!! :)

faraaz

Evil Genius
Trick is to go into your xorg.conf file and remove all configurations except the one you want and 1024x768...works for me all the time...

I learnt this trick on PCLOS and its worked on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Sabayon & PCLOS so far...of course, you have to install your graphics card's drivers before hand which will let your comp support the resolution.

OP
T

tusharj

Broken In
Hi
Well I guess ill just plunge in
But I have another silly question

My HDD is partationed into 15 GB and 25 GB.

I believe Linux does dont follow the same system of C: and D:

Do i need to "de partation" the HDD? or does the Installation take care of that it self?

I dont plan to setup a dual boot system but I am assuming that if it does not work out I will be able to reinstall my old windows system? Is that correct?

do i need to take any precautions?

please let me know

thanks

-Tushar

praka123

left this forum longback
U can manually partition-ur ntfs and fat partitions are shown.upto u which partition ur going to format to ext3 and install.do make a "Linux swap"(not windows swap or pagefile.sys!) partition of 400MB.thats more than enough.so go install.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
faraaz said:
Trick is to go into your xorg.conf file and remove all configurations except the one you want and 1024x768...works for me all the time...

I learnt this trick on PCLOS and its worked on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Sabayon & PCLOS so far...of course, you have to install your graphics card's drivers before hand which will let your comp support the resolution.

Oh..Anyway I don`t have it now.. My dad got a Dell now.. He gave away the vaio , its battery doesn`t work anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom