Linux Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I am new to linux. I has just installed Ubuntu 6.06. Now I have a trouble. I want to enable support for mp3 files. Plz help me out. And don't ask me to search the forum I had tried it and I got more confused. Plz explain in detail and step by step. I had always been a Windows fan and I hope that all of u out there will convert me into a linux fan.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
open terminal,
type "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"
text editor will open with a file, scroll to its end and paste these lines
Code:
deb *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted universe multiverse

deb *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src *archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb *packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf dapper free non-free
deb-src *packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf dapper free non-free

deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main

deb *wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
deb *wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

deb *deb.opera.com/opera/ etch non-free

deb *kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main
deb-src *kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main
deb *kubuntu.org/packages/koffice-latest dapper main
deb *kubuntu.org/packages/amarok-latest dapper main

deb *compiztools.free.fr/debian unstable main
deb *www.beerorkid.com/compiz/ dapper main

deb ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu/ dapper main
deb-src ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu dapper main

deb *nightlies.videolan.org/build/dapper-i386 /
deb *download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

save the file and close it, back to the terminal

copy paste the exact thing "sudo aptitude install xmms", this will install xmms and you can play your mp3s

to enable mp3 and other file format support in default players (rhytmbox & totem) copy paste these lines one by one
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

hope this helps

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
As far as I can see, it's given very extensively here *help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats which , the link is mentioned in this sticky *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30367. Now, what's the reason of maintaining sticky anymore if you aren't even going to read it?

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
tech_your_future said:
As far as I can see, it's given very extensively here *help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats which , the link is mentioned in this sticky *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30367. Now, what's the reason of maintaining sticky anymore if you aren't even going to read it?
I used ur method but was not able to install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll. It says Coudn't find pakage. I had added all the Repositories from *help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#what except the section Adding Other Repositories . However now I am aple to play MP3. How do I install the package.

mehulved

Just replace the /etc/apt/sources.list file with the one given by Chester, he's mentioned how to do it.
Then open the terminal and type
Code:
sudo apt-get update
This will take some time cos new files available at these sites will be indexed.
Then again follow what he's said.
You can download whatever media player you like.
I prefer amaroK for audio, but on Ubuntu it will a huge download since it needs kdelibs. I guess it should be around 50MB, not sure though. You can check this up by typing
Code:
sudo apt-get amarok
It will warn you about how much data to download.
For other purposes I prefer Mplayer or VLC.
Another good media player is xine with gxine as GNOME frontend.
XMMS is good as a winamp look alike but I don't really find it that good compared to above mentioned players.

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Ok I justwanted to know that wether I need gstreamer0.10-pitfdll to be installed. Will in long run it can be problem not to install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll

mehulved

I don't really know. I use Totem-Xine/amaroK/Mplayer/VLC + win32 codecs rather than gstreamer. It works fine for me.

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
OK few more Questions My ubuntu is 64 bit and I want to know that how can I get Opera working for it
Second in Windows I used Soundman as equlizer for my PC how can I do so in linux

mehulved

Hmm then I guess you will be better going in for gstreamer rather than win32 codecs, I am not sure if win32codecs work fine in 64 bit OS's.
For opera just download it from opera's site or just type
Code:
sudo apt-get install opera
I don't know what's soundman and what is it really helpful for.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
nishant_nms said:
OK few more Questions My ubuntu is 64 bit and I want to know that how can I get Opera working for it
Second in Windows I used Soundman as equlizer for my PC how can I do so in linux

amarok & xmms both have nice equalizers

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
If you use 64-bit Ubuntu Win32 Codecs, Flash, Java can't be installed. Since they
are 32-bit applications!!
The Windows Codecs package cannot be used directly by the AMD64 distribution. Some people solve this problem by installing the i386 Ubuntu distribution inside a chroot (for example, Linux Vserver or dchroot), and this works very well.

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
try installing it through synaptic, still i doubt it will work on 64 bit.

its better if you shift to 32 bit ubuntu

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I had installed AmaroK now. But it doesn't plays Mp3 while movie player and Rythumbox Music Players are able to play Mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom