Linux makes inroads into Microsoft's domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Source

While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent market share in the country when it comes to desktops -- the lion's share going to Microsoft Windows. The scenario is gradually changing, it appears.

Novell along with the Electronics Corporation of Tamil Nadu is installing Suse Linux in around 40,000 desktops in the entire state.

And a corporate video of how elcot migrated to linux. - Here

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
ohh yeh, I seen how ELCOT migrated to SuSE in OSS conference - Ahmedabad.

They provide Windows computer only if they give a written reason to do so.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
It does makes sence in goverment PCs, as they run only one application whole day

Exactly. For running just Office software or just one or two apps, why spending a lot, I mean why paying lot to MS ?

I will tell you a real-world example, this is not copied form anywhere, I know the person involved very well.

The guy - who was an officer in a reputed Bank in Cochin, Kerala came to know that the management is planning to buy MS Office for a lot of PCs where the requirement was just office software and nothing else. The quote was some lakhs.

The person met the officials in management and explained them how teh cost can be reduced a lot by using Star office (Yes, if I remember correctly it was free then).

And result ? The management was about to go with the guy, but he got a 'Nice Promotion' (with transfer to another state of course) before he could do anything. He was a nice person and money was not the main thing for him, but the transfer was un-avoidable and he had to go.

Morale of the story

1. Some still think we need to spend a lot for MS or other OS and pay for MS Office or similar just for office works

2. The big companies know how to handle people nicely !

Yes, Linux is not the best thing or there are lot of places where we can't use Linux, but there are places where we can use Linux and save a lot of $$$$.

I think I mentined before, two of my clients use Linux in their office, they use max of open source programs and they are not geeks too ! Just coz Linux work for their needs.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
it does makes sence to use Linux in such places due to the modularity of Linux. Microsoft is doing the same with Windows server 2008 & Vista/Windows 7. You only install what u need. Some underlaying technologies will be there always (DirectX, DirectShow, Trident, indigo) but unless you don't need them, you don't have to pay for them.

Example- Windows server 2008 comes without Windows Media server. If u need it, buy it. No need to pay a high initial price.

Infact, it makes lots of sense to shift to Linux in all offices, if all they run is one app. Usually these companies use there own software which is made by some 3rd party software company like Avaya, or TCS then why not tell them to make a Linux version? In today's world creating a standalone software isn't that tough with Mono, JAVA & .net 2005.

What MS should do is to provide a stripped down, Office node version of Windows with only few things. Who needs Windows Media Player in Office? Just don't strip down Solitaire :D

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Yes, agree with you. In most offices or shops, the main requirement will be like not a lot of things. May be just for billing, may be just for accounting. So they will not need all functionalities of any OS

And just comparing the prices

Win XP + Office = 3500 + ?

Lin + Open Office = 100 + 100 may be ? I mean 2 Digit DVDs :D

praka123

left this forum longback
^btwn i hv seem sbi employees playing solitaire with xp :D though they wont miss it in linux.

@din:but there is very high resistance from windows proficient people,eventhough Linux is better and more suited for their business.

mediator

Technomancer
A stripped down OS becomes boring sometimes when ur work is complete in office and ur mind is working high! Those who work in PHP i.e LAMP etc, listen to music while working, keep their messenger ON, send some reports in word format, keep on fiddling with OS by executing the thousands of commands and customising their desktops!! They even watch movies,clips,youtube etc.

Such kind of work if done with licensed copies of MS products will only add more $$$$. I don't agree on using a stripped down OS while working like that on development! It tends to get very boring then and its better if u r not bored while u r working!! ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
And just comparing the prices

Win XP + Office = 3500 + ?

Lin + Open Office = 100 + 100 may be ? I mean 2 Digit DVDs :D

Thats the thing. The cost of Windows is according to doller, not rupees. Due to which we pay lots of money for it.

Just bundle Windows XP for legecy PCs + Microsoft Office student edition = Rs 2500. Everyone will buy for offices

praka123 said:
@din:but there is very high resistance from windows proficient people.

Simple, Windows is workin for them, Microsoft supports there problem, there software runs in Windows, so why change?

Computers in convergYs guregaon are still using Windows 2000 FYI

A stripped down OS becomes boring sometimes when ur work is complete in office and ur mind is working high! Those who work in PHP i.e LAMP etc, listen to music while working, keep their messenger ON, send some reports in word format, keep on fiddling with OS by executing the thousands of commands and customising their desktops!! They even watch movies,clips,youtube etc.

You go to an office to work, to work on the software or make memos or whatever. You are not supposed to use Office resources for ourkutting , or chatting. Yup, it is bad & feels boring, but thats how I believe you can make an office productive.

You wanna timepass, do that in breaks

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
U r getting me wrong! I dont let those things come in between/ruin my work. The boss knows it all!! The work becomes exciting when the office is happening, people r nice and more over when u can entertain urself on ur PC itself like I said above. Playing just solitaire etc becomes montonous and boring. Ur effiiceny rises when u r not bored, when u like ur work and office environment and more over when u can do anything on ur PC for a few minutes while having ur cup of coffee!! Now dont say that coffee isn't allowed too and that u shud only do ur work! :lol:

I guess u r not accustomed to the office environment. Nobody minds it if u r working on schedule and nicely!! Go to any company and u'll find a lotta people orkutting. Thats a reality. Companies might ban orkut on their network, but people still find ways to entertain themselves like listeing to music or flirting with....ahem!! :D

Banning orkut is still ok, coz it wastes a lotta time, but a stripped down OS :shock: .....no way!! Do u really think working 24/7 increases efficiency? Man, a little mozart for 5 mintues while working is the ultimate refreshment.....game playing is ok but that becomes monotonous and hence something more and then back to work!!

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@mediator , agree with you.

Rt now, running 3 messenger, workin on LAMP, uploading / downloadin files usin Filezilla, listening to music. Not affectin job

But I use messengers for official purpose most of the time, to chat with clients etc. But normal employees will not need chat and yes, banning Orkut in offices can be justified.

And most of the software firms here in Cochin (some of my friends are running s/w firms in infopark etc) has speakers and play music almost all the time.

But again, it depends, it may be a problem for work which need high level concentration and some people can't work listening to music.

mediator

Technomancer
Thats correct. When u r fresher, u need to know ur work right and thats the time when ur concentration level is at the highest. When u get experienced and doing ur normal work, u keep on coding etc without even giving a second thought to it! It becomes natural as breathing and thats the time when u need entertainment while working so as to keep going!! U become confident. U know when to fiddle, when to njoy and when to work!! :)

A stripped down OS has no place there. On windows too u'll mostly find, in companies, yahoo msngr,WMP latest, codecs, games, Office etc all installed on machines!! But there resides the difference of $$$$. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
The work becomes exciting when the office is happening, people r nice and more over when u can entertain urself on ur PC itself like I said above.

A stripped down OS doesn't actually means no WMP. It was just an example. I guess no one will allow an employee to play music on the speakers during work, headphones are fine. This is the reason why I said such companies should switch to Thin Clients. They will further save on OS costs.

I guess u r not accustomed to the office environment. Nobody minds it if u r working on schedule and nicely!! Go to any company and u'll find a lotta people orkutting. Thats a reality. Companies might ban orkut on their network, but people still find ways to entertain themselves like listeing to music or flirting with....ahem!! :D

Tell me about it,:d

Stripped down OS :shock: .....no way!!!

Yes way, it depends how & where u r stripping. Even on Windows XP Pro running in such companies, Admins block Wmplayer.exe or application installation or ability to run any application other then those white listed. So, as you see there is already stripping of functionality......what I mean was give a stripped down OS, & then the admins can decide what to add & what not to & pay only for what they need.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
whatever, i think all the govt. organisations should switch to linux system. it'll save us from paying heavy taxes!!! the railway reservation counters still use dos based software which can be verywell run in dosemu or dosbox and lotsa other examples. it'll save the country a huge sum, benifitting everyone :) linux will give them everything that they need, an office suite, dos emulation software and even games which are jus rite for the office environment!!! :)

mediator

Technomancer
Yes way, it depends how & where u r stripping. Even on Windows XP Pro running in such companies, Admins block Wmplayer.exe or application installation or ability to run any application other then those white listed. So, as you see there is already stripping of functionality......what I mean was give a stripped down OS, & then the admins can decide what to add & what not to & pay only for what they need.
Yes! Pay for what is needed on 'M$-windows'. But, I am talking of 'keep on exploring what 'all' u already have', keep on exploring when u feel like having a vacation for few minutes, fiddle with the system, njoy music etc and then back to work!!

There is a big difference between 'paying for what is needed on a stripped down OS' and 'exploring what all u have, what all the OS offers u' and thats how the work becomes more exciting and njoyable......i.e to pursue ur interests while still doing ur work!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
Yes! Pay for what is needed on 'M$-windows'. But, I am talking of 'keep on exploring what 'all' u already have', keep on exploring when u feel like having a vacation for few minutes, fiddle with the system, njoy music etc and then back to work!!

sorry, you are not supposed to play with an office computer & tinker with it. I don't know of any company so far which allows u to do that.

to pursue ur interests while still doing ur work!!

If the Admin find it suitable & appropriate, they will let you use Windows Media player for Music, some messenger like Pidgin or Yahoo for chatting etc. You are working in an office where you have to follow the working rules set by the authority & Admin. Sorry, but you just can't go on & tweak your OS to your liking here. You are given a computer where you can do your work fine, you can chat, play lite games etc if the Admin allows. This isn't your personal computer to tinker with.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
How many guys actually watched that video? if not then watch it ..

Those guys were not just talking about Open office and playing games or chatting!!! they are developing webbased apps secure apps. They are talking postGRE SQL for backend , Eclipse , NETBeans , JasperReports .. creating drivers and custom fonts. They have even developed the worlds first ATM's running completely on linux. They have not shifted to linux just to save cost. They are very serious about the migration to linux.

Give way... TUX is comming

mediator

Technomancer
sorry, you are not supposed to play with an office computer & tinker with it. I don't know of any company so far which allows u to do that.
U need to start working first cutie pie before saying that u don't know of any company like that!! I hope ur exams r over! ;)

If the Admin find it suitable & appropriate, they will let you use Windows Media player for Music, some messenger like Pidgin or Yahoo for chatting etc. You are working in an office where you have to follow the working rules set by the authority & Admin. Sorry, but you just can't go on & tweak your OS to your liking here. You are given a computer where you can do your work fine, you can chat, play lite games etc if the Admin allows. This isn't your personal computer to tinker with
Who is asking to "tinker and tweak the system" :shock:? My dear, fiddling with system doesn't necessarily means hacking the system, changing the config files and installing rootkits! It also means to change the desktop, exploring the themes, the commands, man pages, the content of system's shell scripts, making shell scripts etc....I hope u know about the learning curve associated with Linux. Wth, who will tinker/tweak the system like that even after knowing about the consequences of even little mistakes? :shock:

U shud know that on Linux unlike windows u can do all ur work without having root priviledges. U can even compile programs and run them without the root access. Only the system/admin level activities/programs require u to have root priviledges and even on that if u have admin's trust u can have it!!

I am definitely not asking to run ethereal, spy on the network and hack the company for the sake of phun!! :D

So there is bigggg difference between 'paying for what is needed on a stripped down OS' and 'exploring what all u have, what all the OS offers u'. If u equate the windows phun with that of linux for such, then the difference is of huge amt of $$$$! Besides windows hardly has any learning curve associated with it...you can't even see the source code of any application and learn from it!!

But dont let that sadden u. U can ofcors install GAIM,GIMP and OOO on windows tooo if not photoshop and MS-office becoz of their $$$$! WTH, why not use the total OSS package, learn to make urself more efficient in computing world via commandlines and make ur work more njoyable ?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom