Linux Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashish_ghate

Right off the assembly line
hi
i am trying to install Redhat 9 on my pc. first i have installed win98,winxp,2000 server and 2000 professional on my pc. then i have installed linux on free unused space.
before installing linux everything was ok. but after installation,whenever i try to start winxp , it shows starting screen of win2000 and gives error to repair it. all other o.s. are working except winxp. then i try to install winxp again. now winxp is working but i am not getting any strating boot sequence which will start linux.
please help me to solve this problem :cry:

pr@k@sh

Journeyman
Dear Friend

In multi boot system

have to install microsoft old os first and then install new ..!!

i mean win95->win98->win2000 Pro ro Ser ->win Xp Home or Pro->win 2003..!!

and last u have to install linux..!!

and if u reinstall win os after linux then ur linux lodar is remove by winos..!!

now u have to give detail how u install this all os and in which partation..!!

how u create partation with file system.>.!!

BlAsTeR

Broken In
Installation of windows xp (or any windows) removes the MBR and adds its own MBR.

What you have to do is , start linux installation again ,
Setup will detect previous installation of linux and it will prompt to install boot loader generally its Grub(redhat) which loads linux .

Now you will be able to see the loader at boot.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

ujjwal

Padawan
All you need to do is reinstall the boot loader ....

Pop in the redhat cd ... choose upgrade, don't make any changes to the installed software, and you will then get an option to install the boot loader.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- get explore2fs , which is free
- locate ur linux partition with it
- copy the vmlinuz file from /boot in linux to any folder in windows 98 ie fat 32 partition
- use loadlin to boot into linux from win98 dos prompt .
- grub option is widely used , but if ur a novice and dont want to fiddle too much with higly sensitive mbr , choose loadlin . there is a loadlin c version for new kernels . works gr8
- even if u have a prob with windows x next time , u can always access ur linux partition with explore2fs and loadlin .

firewall

In the zone
well.. as u r using RH9, ur boot loader might be GRUB and u need t oreinstall the grub to have the desired booting menu...

check this out...

*gnuslashlinux.blogspot.com/2004/07/how-to-restore-grub.html

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom