Not open for further replies.

rulzwrld

Right off the assembly line
My current Cofig is
AMD 2800+ 64 bit processor
I Gb Ram
120 GB HDD
Neo KV8M motherboard

My prob is , i want to install Linux on my sys but also want Windows as my dual boot option

My questions are:-
Which is the Best Linux for newbies?
From Where can I get it
Do I need to cr8 spl partition for Linux ?if Yes Wht type?
Technical things to know abt my comp befr installing Linux and how to get it ?

I have Got with me :- Debian Linux ,Ubuntu,Mandrake ...will any1 of these be helpful

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
1. If u ask me, Xandros (not free) is the best to get a good idea abt Linux, but its not worth sticking to it... get Ubuntu or Mandrake/SuSe.

2. You can get it from a nearby Linux-User-Group (LUG) or download it from the distribution's website.

3. Yes you need to create a new partition, the installer will guide u to do that, IMO reiserfs is the best and stablest. U can go for ext3, etc...

4. Nothing much, jus info about partitioning and a little of command line. Once you boot into the installation mode its a fast easy breeze. Then learn abt command lines when the linux runs :)

5. Yes an auto-dual-boot will be set up with options to boot into windows too :) Mostly this is automatic with almost all new distros.

When you have learnt lots, jump over to Fedora Core or Gentoo or better, create yr own Linux from scratch :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You should either go for Ubuntu or Mandrake since you already have them. I prefer Ubuntu more than mandrake personally.
But, in mandrake you need not use command line as much as in other distros. Mandrake has GUI tools for almost all the configuration.
Ubuntu has a very good hardware detection rate and good documentation, too.
One thing you can do is donwload a trial version of VMware server and install both on them so you can get an idea of how to go about. VMware will work without a hitch on your system.
And provide your partition structure information so we can tell you how to go about partitioning.
And do have a look at other threads in this secion lots of posts like yours have come up recently. they will help you a lot.

praka123

left this forum longback
one word-if ur completely n00b>go for Mandriva Linux ..eventhough am a ardent fan and believer of Debian/Ubuntu which are superior than rpm based distros :)

Vivek788

In the zone
Sir,I am using debian sarge.I finally got it installed after many tried and then installed about 200 packages..even now i can't seem to change my screen resolution and color depth(didn't see even an option for that).I installed many theme and graphics library files and tried but no use..please help.

praka123

left this forum longback
first,what's ur video card-get the info of version...then as root user:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
you need to give some details about your videocard and monitor model and it's horizontal and vertical frequencies.
In menu of Gnome->Preferences->Screenresolution option is available.for a 15" monitor a resolution of 800x600@85 Hz for a Samtron 56V monitor.
you can change the default color depth and resolution manually by editing
/etc/X11/XFREE86-4.conf.
*www.backports.org contains many updated packages backported for Debian Sarge including Xserver-Xorg etc

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Mandriva Linux 2006 is the best choice for you since you a newbie to Linux.

Mandriva Linux 2006 Overview:
-----------------------------------------
*www.mandriva.com/en/individuals/products/2006overview

* 'Mandriva Discovery' is for users switching to Linux

* 'Mandriva PowerPack' is for advanced power users.

* 'Mandriva PowerPack+' is for Small Office/Home Office users

Where can I get it ?
You can download a free version from their website :
*www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/free (Choose Mandriva Linux 2006 ISO for x86-64 (since your Processor is 64-bit)
There is also a commerical version of the product available. It comes bundled
with proprietary software which are not available in the Free version!!

Do I need to create a partition ?
Yes, ofcourse. You need to create a separate partition of 12 GB.
Out of that 12 GB , give 10.5 to Root ("/") and 1.5 GB for Swap (ie., Virtual Memory)

Technical things to know about my PC?
Don't worry, the Mandriva Linux installer will detect all the devices. Just select 'OK'
in case something goes wrong, you can change the Settings using the 'Mandriva Control Center'

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I suggest Mandrake. Mandrake happens to be the easiest among your list. Your config. is quite enough to run Mandrake. Yes, you will have to create a special partition for mandrake. About 4-5 GB should do.

To create your partition do not forget to defragment your hard drive completely. After installation of Linux into that partition, it also installs GRUB automatically, so you do not need to worry too much about the dual boot.

Pathik

Google Bot
i say MANDRAKE is good for beginners... and use the KDE desktop in it...as its more windowish than GNOME.. and use LILO rather than GRUB...

Vivek788

In the zone
but still not working..they asked many twisting question which i barely scratched through...and still no use no res

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
If you find any questions asked by the Installation Wizard confusing or don't know the
answer, post it here. We'll help you solve the problem.

Vivek788

In the zone
the most tough ones seems to be the one which asks 'choose your display driver'
I use a intel 845DGVSR motherboard..an you tell the driver name..i tried the following(vga,i740,i810)not working..as requied...other questions are abpotu keyboar mouise and many other things..which i gve the default answer..

and one more thing they ask me to allocate memory to display.How much do i give?

Pathik

Google Bot
if ur installing mandrake then be careful abt the screen res u choose....
on my pc only 1024x768 worked...

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
*stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

this is the best guide to install fedora core 5 and ,lot smore to it..

Pathik

Google Bot
hey all of ya.... try DAMN SMALL LINUX.... its cute....
get it 4m *www.damnsmalllinux.org its jus 50mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom