linux in windows platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

sontu

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

linux was installed in my E: drive, but i forgot the pasword, now after that i installed winxp over win98, so at the time of booting linux is not showing at all...i.e, it occupied 5 GB of my E: drive but i can't use it...now
if i format the E: drive would it solve the problem? is ti possible to format the E: drive only without bringing any harm to other drives?

plz help me..... :(

emailaatif786

Always Questioning?
:!:
First your question is not clearly under stood!!

So, you insert bootable windows Xp disc in drive and set instlalation to drive E:\
here you format the drive in NTFs
and restart your Pc.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Goto DiskManager, mostly located in Control Panel---> AdminTools--->Computer Management (i dont know where it is in 98)... then delete ur Linux Partition... after deleting it will show up as free space just format that partition in the format u wish to

praka123

left this forum longback
Is the bootmenu[GRUB} shows Linux option?if yes can u boot into Linux?if u have forgot the password U can reset password by booting into single user,which i will tell U.there is no need to format E partition.so Please explain little more clearly.next time post in Open Source.Linux is a Free/Open source Operating System.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
@prakash i think he aint getting any BOOTMENU... he directly boots into XP. Thats wat i m understanding from his question

may be u shud try fixing ur mbr

boot with a Windows boot disk... then thpe fdisk /mbr .... aftr that type fixmbr and then press y.

Satissh S

Youngling
Umm.. Your Linux bootloader was wiped of the mbr by the 'other' operating system. Thats why you are not able to boot into GNU/Linux.

If you have a fedora rescue-boot cd or any live cd. Boot using it, It's a bit of a tricky process and if you are afraid of command line, i'd suggest re-installing the GNU\linux from the distro's cd. However if you wan't to do-it-by-hand\learn follow,
Boot the live cd such as knoppix. Go to a terminal, and do the following. Also tell me which distro you use.

$ su It automatically drops you to superuser mode
# mkdir /mnt/rescue -v creates a directory
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/rescue mounts your root partition.
# chroot /mnt/rescue /bin/bash
changes your working directory to your ORIGINAL gnu\linux system.
# grub-install /dev/hda
Do this and the installation will complete itself. You shud now have boot-loader going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom