linux help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slash_89

i just installed ubuntu feisty fawn,
when i start it with GRUB it starts with the GUI mode,
but i would like it to start in command-line interface and from here i would like to login to my account to the GUI,
what command should i use and how do i do this?

and from where can i get a complete guide for ubuntu feisty fawn.

OP
S

slash_89

mehulved said:
And please give more sensible title names.

i needed help to avoid starting the GUI,

so the title "linux help"

what other title should i give?

and another thing i have an asus mobo with nvidia geforce6150 AGP,
i dwnloaded the drivers for linux form nvidia,
but when i run setup from the shell it says it cannot be installed bcos its "X Version"
what do i do?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
how about something that explains what you want to ask? something like ' how to boot linux in CLI mode' or something sensible. There's a nice thread on this by desertwind, in the stickies go and read it.
Download it from repos. Why do you poeple have problems with downloading softwares from respositories?

OP
S

slash_89

slash_89 said:
i needed help to avoid starting the GUI,

so the title "linux help"

what other title should i give?

and another thing i have an asus mobo with nvidia geforce6150 AGP,
i dwnloaded the drivers for linux form nvidia,
but when i run setup from the shell it says it cannot be installed bcos its "X Version"
what do i do?

@mehulved, enough of advising ppl around, ppl dont have to post titles to ur liking,

someone help me with the gfx problem.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's not to my liking. It's just a simple thing that makes things easier for people wanting to help out. If that's gonna be your attitude, I guess hardly anyone's gonna come forward to help you.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
@slash_89:be cool man.most ppl posts their queries in a guessable and easy manner.that's why.mehulved is techurfuture is a long time moderator here in open source section.he is pointing u the right way,see:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

as with ur original question.at any time u can go into Command line(CLI) by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 to F6 there are 6 virtual terminals as set by upstart and in other distros it is (even in Ubuntu if present) /etc/inittab file which controls the no of pseudo terminals available.

Inorder to boot directly into CLI open the terminal from Applications>Accessories>terminal in ubuntu,now:
Code:
~$ sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
give ur password(will not be visible) and press enter.next time no gdm to login and ur directly there at terminal.:eek:
regarding the error.do u ran the driver from shell as root or sudo(that with "#" prompt)...X error may be some dependencies are missing.
also these nvidia drivers are mostly available ready in distributions like Ubuntu etc(check restricted packages manager or just read *ubuntuguide.org )
Just post what error u got that can pinpoint..(copy paste from terminal)

Last edited:
OP
S

slash_89

mehulved said:
It's not to my liking. It's just a simple thing that makes things easier for people wanting to help out. If that's gonna be your attitude, I guess hardly anyone's gonna come forward to help you.

i dont have an attitude problem tech,
its just that we both had a row bfore too, so we started on bad notes,
so im just a little jumpy thats all,
and maybe i tool u too offensively,
everythings cool now:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom