LINUX> Free ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi! Guys, I just wanted to ask that I reopened the August 2004 issue of DIGIT and found the LINUX page.. In it the LINUXes given have prices ranging from Rs. 500 to 5000.. Is LINUX free? Are the ISO files given on DIGIT DVD for evaluation purpose.. I am very confused.. Plz help me.. If I wish 2 install SuSe 9.1 from Aug 2004 DVD, will I have 2 pay for it?
Also, what is FreeBSD? Is it another variation of Linux? How good is it as compared to SuSe? I have Win XP SP2 HOME.. Which one should I install on my PC? Will my system ask me which OS to start during booting?
Plz help me out...

demoninside

In the zone
hey buddy--- let me give u some idea about this

as far as linux base we talk about is free, we all can d/l it nd then can implement some new words to it nd then can sale it as our prodect...
but all the distors u find in DVD's r free if u r individual user but yes if u run an organization then yes u need to pay for it---

nd yes freeBSD is the unix version of linux---

nd yes WinXP home suc*s a big time either go for WinXP pro or go for distros like Mandrake, Fedora Core3, PCQLinux2005, Ubuntu or
just intall winxp and use some live distro either i cann't recommand this coz it doesn't give the complete feeling-------

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
OK, u mean if I am individual I can use it for free.. Which one out of SuSe, UBUNTU, Mandrake and FreeBSD should I install? Moreover, what is a LIVE CD? I have heard of KNOPPIX... Is it a LIVE CD LINUX?

firewall

In the zone
demoninside said:
as far as linux base we talk about is free, we all can d/l it nd then can implement some new words to it nd then can sale it as our prodect...
but all the distors u find in DVD's r free if u r individual user but yes if u run an organization then yes u need to pay for it---

First of all, Linux is free as the freedom. Like you are a FREE person. Linux can be downloaded or distributed freely without any cost. It is released under GNU - General Public License - and this license let people to use the software Freely. But yes you can add your own piece of code/ application to it and can charge for that only, besides the packaging/burning/media and printed documentation and of course the support. Vendors like Redhat, Novell ( SuSE ) do the same.

So there is no such concept like individual or corporate use. Unless specifily told.

demoninside said:
and yes freeBSD is the unix version of linux---

FreeBSD is not Linux. It is another Operating system. So dont get confused.

Now on your other queries, You can try out the Fedora Core or PCQLinux 2005 for the ease of use. You can also try Mandrake.

Live CD is such distribution which let you to load the total OS from the CD itslf. So You dont need to install it on your HD and thus your existing OS and Data on HD get untouched. To use the Live CD disto like knoppix or Gnoppix just boot the PC from CD and enjoy the OS.

If you still have any more doubts on this feel free to post here, we all are here to take care of those.

:)

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Firewall said:

If its not Linux then what is it pls shed some light on this matter.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
OK, Now, I only want to hve a feel of LINUX and not implement it completely in my system.. I want some small size LINUX specifically whose ISO accumulates in one CD and not big sized like Fedora and Mandrake .. So, out of SuSE and UBUNTU which is better and easy for me to understand LINUX more properly..
By the way, thank you for such an informative article..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
djmykey said:
Firewall said:

If its not Linux then what is it pls shed some light on this matter.

FreeBSD is a complete UNIX Operating System written by the University of Berkeley people. It was designed to be a complete replacement of proprietary UNIX distributions.

hafees

In the zone
Hi //sidhartha// did u try Knoppix?? did u find it good? and want to explore more... then install some real thing. most people here recommends Ubuntu. but i did nt use it. SuSE is a good distribution. Try it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Besides knoppix, there are a few more live CD distros called Gnoppix, Mepis, SuSE Live, etc. Knoppix has KDE (K Desktop Environment) and Gnoppix has GNOME (GNU Network Object Model Environment). Gnoppix is a true eye candy and has a very pleasing look. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom