Linux for entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I need a Linux distro primarily for entertainment Music (Amarok) / Movies(VLC) / Net (gaim ,FF ,Opera )
I tried amaroK live , but 1.4 is due in early Jan . Next i tried Slax but that dosent boot on my PC , mabey the config prob , heard there was a compatibility issue with SATA HDD ( before 5.xx , I did download 5.xx dunno why it gives a prob ? )
Then i downloaded DSL , cudnt seem to burn it on a CD ( downloaded the embedded one ..)
My hunt is still on .. I was looking @ Kubuntu or maybe Ubuntu 6.10 , if there are some updates (more : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44012 )

See if you can help me out a lil ...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What's SATA disk got to do with a live cd? Did you follow the instructions for slax properly? It should give you what you need.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ahh, Maverick, you just mention the very applications I use round the clock! Ubuntu 6.10 or 6.06 is the best way to go. No SATA issues, No Boot issues, no problems at all!

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
I feel Linux Mint is best suited distro for you. See the website here . and also check Distrowatch .
Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.

If you want you can also try out Freespire .
Freespire is a community-driven, Linux-based operating system that combines the best that free, open source software has to offer (community driven, freely distributed, open source code, etc.), but also provides users the choice of including proprietary codecs, drivers and applications as they see fit. Freespire is sponsored by Linspire, a commercial, desktop-oriented distribution based on Debian GNU/Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom