Linux for Enterprises... Which is the best linux ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
hi friends

i wud like to know whether the linux, which most companies like Red Hat, Madrake, SuSe etc ship can b used for commercial purposes?

Can companies offering software solutions use Linux shipped by these companies without paying any licence fee..

i know linux is free. But is it free for commercial use?

which is the best Linux for Enterprise n commercial purposes for developing Java/JSP/EJB ??

regards
arvind.

go4inet

In the zone
My Preferred Choice Xandros Desktop OS v3.0

Xandros Desktop 3 provides the ultimate Linux desktop experience for laptops and PCs with enhanced wireless support, drag-and-drop DVD burning, and automatic alerts to Xandros Networks updates.

Employing a Xandros-enhanced KDE 3.3 and an underlying 2.6.9 Linux kernel, the new version also provides enhanced security with a Personal Firewall wizard, simple access to virtual

The Ultimate Linux Desktop Experience:

Xandros Desktop OS version 3 delivers the ultimate Linux desktop experience for desktop and laptop users alike.

The simple four-step Xandros install provides everything you need to write, chat, draw, surf, talk, e-mail, listen, and play in Linux.

Its same as using Windows and more cool feature is tht, you can use MS Office and Adobe, Macromedia Products on them.

Regards,
Vinay

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
RHEL... is best for enteprise...

Wait... Sun in January going to make its new Solaris 10 a FREE DOWNLOAD... just like RedHat did FedoraCore...

nixcraft

Journeyman
Yes friend it is free.

Commercial linux i.e. Suse / Redhat has some edge over traditional distros:

1) They provide most stable software and tested

2) They provide easy method to update software’s and again these are tested

3) They take responsibilities in case something goes wrong (depend upon your SLA with them)

4) Support included

5) You can redistribute your application free provided that you don’t use code from other apps which distributed using GPL similar license. And if you are using GPL or similar licensed code in your app then you need to refer those licenses first before redistribution. Please read *www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/policy/2001/12/12/transition.html and book called Understanding Open Source and Free Software Licensing

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I would personally reccomend the Red Hat AS series. Having worked on it and literally taken it for a run for its money its def industrial grade.

Also you guys might wanna give United Linux a try. Its pretty good!

TheGuru

Broken In
SLES 9 all the way! (thats SuSe Linux Enterprise Server) - they were the first to release a distro based on 2.6 kernel with KDE 3.2 - damn sexy!!! RedHat is yet to release its enterprise-grade distro with 2.6 kernel - it will be coming out by Jan end.

G

i have a solaris 10 express dvd :lol:
will try to install it somtime later this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom