Linux for a 64 bit machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

panshul007

Right off the assembly line
The configuration of my machine is: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 2.8 GHz, MSI mother board supporting 64 bit K8TM/K8MM with a RAM memory of 512 MB ( two 333 MHz 256 MB cards).

The problem i am having is in installing Linux. It gives me an error that "You are installing a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine".. It installs the OS but none of the packages that come bundled along with it are installed. I have tried all the Linux distributions including Suse 9, Mandrake 10 and Fedora Core 2.

Is there any Linux Distribution that supports a 64 bit machine. As after purchasing such a high end machine i cannot install Linux.

Please help me out. I shall be grateful to you.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Try 64bit version of Ubuntu.
They have both AMD64 and IA64 versions available.
Download it from *archive.ubuntu.com/cdimage/daily/current/

Some of my friends are also using SuSE 64bit version on their AMD 64 machines

swatkat

Technomancer
Download the Linux ISOs which have x86_64 with their names. This x86_64 indicates they are for 64bit machines. 32bit distroes have i386 in their names. That way you can distingiush them.
You can get Fedora here..
*download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/x86_64/iso/
*download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hey @panshul...

Why not order them for free from Ubuntu site ...?

They will provide you with 10 free CDs but be correct in choosing : for 64 bit processors...

Sankalp

Journeyman
panshul007 said:
The configuration of my machine is: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 2.8 GHz, MSI mother board supporting 64 bit K8TM/K8MM with a RAM memory of 512 MB ( two 333 MHz 256 MB cards).

Hey man as far as I know an athlon64 2800+ does not run at 2.8 Ghz. :!:

Well maybe urs is somethin new :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom