Linux distro wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I am now shifting from windows to linux.Can anyone tell me which linux distro is best suited for beginner?I plan to make a dual boot(XP+Linux).Also give me links to some tutorial for Linux which includes basic tasks like installing apps etc.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Re: Linux disto wanted

There is really a plenty of LINUX distro available.
You can opt from Mandriva, FC5 and so on.

Learning linux is very simple.. search linux tutorial and u get thousands of good tutorial in SE.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Just go through the links in this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427. See which ones interest you and read those threads. It will help you in getting a lot of resources.

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Ubuntu! Ubuntu!! Ubuntu!!! Sufficient help available on internet. Auto Update is just too good. Installing apps is as easy as it gets.

I tried FC5 and Suse 10.1. What-Not as friendly as Ubuntu. Go for it, you wont regret. and yes... me to a Linux newbie, converted just about 10 days ago and have not lookd back at windows as yet.. :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I recommend open suse 10.1, check my screenshot *www.mafialord.com/j.png
All configuration is through YaST, which is like the control panel of windows although far more powerful. No much fiddling around with terminals although you may choose to if you want to feel very geeky :-D

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
u can choose any of the following distro for which u will have plenty of support
1) Ubuntu
2) open suse
3) Fedora
4) mandriva
5) KNOPPIX(u don't need to install this, as it can run from cd itself so u can see what linux looks like)

pls read the reviews for all the distro's and choose what u want

mehulved

Well most of the people in this forum, including me are biased towards debain based distros, so most will be recommending you to go for Ubuntu. It is a great distro but others like Fedora, Suse and Mandriva are really good too. There are many more good distros but the above 4 stand out because they have a big community and as a newbie if you have a problem, it will be very easy to solve problems encountered with these distros.
Install whatever good distro you can get.

Anindya

In the zone
Check this out it may help U --

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions.

Here is a list of available Linux Distro --
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions.

A List of Live Distro --
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveDistro.

drsethi

Journeyman
I would recommend SUSE Linux 10.1. Very easy to install.
However after installation certain softwares need to be downloaded and installed like win32codecs.See details at
*www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254
Linux is more difficult than Windows to learn, but you will get a good experience
Also make atleast one partition as fat32 to be commonly used by Windows and Linux.
Other useful links
*www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugfilesp.html
*packman.links2linux.org/

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
This question has been answered numerous times by now!! Checkout the link @Tech_your_future
has given. If you are totally new to Linux. Try Knoppix Live CD/DVD. It will give you a
feel of Linux. Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora are the top distros. Mandriva Linux is a very good
choice for users totally new to Linux environment.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Just take the Linux distribution chooser - a nie step by step thing tha will help you in chossing the distro based upon your knowledge.

My opinion: just make sure your distros has kde by default. Ex: kubuntu,mempis,arch linux

mehulved

chesss said:
Just take the Linux distribution chooser - a nie step by step thing tha will help you in chossing the distro based upon your knowledge.

My opinion: just make sure your distros has kde by default. Ex: kubuntu,mempis,arch linux
Why? Not that I am against KDE or something but what's wrong with GNOME? It's just as easy. I myself started linux with GNOME on FC2. It's as easy even for a newbie.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Why? Not that I am against KDE or something but what's wrong with GNOME? It's just as easy. I myself started linux with GNOME on FC2. It's as easy even for a newbie.
Because gnome is too slow, specially for Indians (non super fast PC's), and more importantly coz of Nautilus. The most horrible piece of software EVER!
Kde on the other hand comes with konqueror which is much better for browsing, file management(dual panes), can read man pages, use locate for instant search.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
for me, ubuntu rules. u might face some problems with fedora core. i had faced some problems. even basic tasks such as installing needs tweaking. i recommend ubuntu. i prefer DEB distros rather than RPM.

praka123

left this forum longback
How can u say that?iam using gnome for long time.ur wrong.GNOME is superior it is less resource hoggy than kde scrap.Nautilus is much improved;u havent seen newer GNOME 2.16/2.14 i think they are really faster.kde is one copycat of redmond with umpteen menu for useless scraps as apps.GNOME is faster than kde-mind it i can prove it anywhere.GNOME also incorporates beagle search also was gnome-find and getting better than kde $hit every day.
also with GNOME available XGL/AIGLX available
So N00b's start using GNOME,dont fall with the kde scrap:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom