Linux Creator Calls GPLv3 Authors 'Hypocrites' As Open Source Debate Turns Nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux creator Linus Torvalds said the authors of a new software license expected to be used by thousands of open source programmers are a bunch of hypocrites and likened them to religious fanatics -- the latest sign of a growing schism in the open source community between business-minded developers like Torvalds and free software purists.
In an online post, Torvalds slammed executives at the Free Software Foundation, likening their mind-set to that of "religious fanatics and totalitarian states."
The Free Software Foundation last month published a revised version of the General Public License, which governs the use of many open source programs.
Among several provisions viewed by many as anti-business is a GPLv3 rule forbidding commercial users of open source software from prohibiting customer modifications.
The provision was aimed in part at digital recorder manufacturer TiVo, which restricts customers from tampering with the software-based digital rights management technologies built into its boxes. The Free Software Foundation calls such policies "Tivoization" and, in a recent press release, referred to them as "malicious."
In a posting on the Linux kernel mailing list, Torvalds said the Free Software Foundation's position on Tivoization is one reason he won't license his Linux kernel under GPLv3. "The GPLv3 doesn’t match what I think is morally where I want to be," Torvalds wrote. "I think it is okay to control people's hardware, I do it myself," he continued.
The Linux kernel is presently licensed under the less-restrictive GPLv2.
It's more than just a debate among computer geeks. An increasing number of companies and government agencies -- including Wal-Mart Stores and the U.S. Defense Department -- are incorporating open source software into their infrastructures and products. And IBM has invested billions of dollars promoting open source software as an alternative to Microsoft's offerings.
As a result, the terms under which such software is available have become a critical business issue for many companies.
TiVo recently warned investors that GPLv3's anti-Tivoization rules may weaken its ability to include future digital rights management technologies in its set-top boxes. DRM is crucial to TiVo's ability to strike deals with content partners concerned about illegal duplication of their products.
Last week, Microsoft put a freeze on distributing any open source software licensed under GPLv3 through its alliance with Novell. Microsoft is believed to be concerned about a GPLv3 provision that forbids open source distributors from suing open source users. Microsoft claims Linux and other open source programs violate its intellectual property rights and may be looking to preserve its right to take legal action against them.
For Torvalds' part, it appears unlikely he'll ever adopt GPLv3 for the Linux kernel.
He accused the Free Software Foundation leadership, which includes eccentric, MIT-trained computing whiz Richard Stallman, of injecting their personal morality into the laws governing open source software with the release of GPLv3. "Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate 'morality' with 'legality,' " Torvalds wrote.
"There's tons of examples of that from human history. The ruler is not just a king, he's a God, so disagreeing with him is immoral, but it's also illegal, and you can get your head cut off," Torvalds continued, in a posting dated June 20.
Torvalds added that software developers that adopt GPLv3 "in the name of freedom, while you're at the same time trying to argue that I don't have the 'freedom' to make my own choice" are "hypocritical."
*www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/07/linux_creator_c.html
^^
this article in total is flammatory.but all that Linus said is there.
Now i remember Linus bashing Gnome Project sometimes back and he openly supports Kde(trolltech sponsored) and asks users to move to kde.the reason for his anti-gnome rant is more than to do with technical problems,but bcoz Gnome Project is a part of FSF and RMS. :))
Linus will learn a lesson or two if sun will GPL3 Open Solaris.
I think in a cruel world dominated by a monopoly vendor of OS and DMCA like laws enforced,GPL3 like licenses are a must.Hope he will help GPL3(i know kernel is not only his work) Linux kernel.else...GNU/Solaris may come ;)
What about DRM enforcing corporates RIAA etc,FOSS needs a licence/protection from these too.rather than FOSS die,let DRM and RIAA die-this is my personal idea.
although the news is originally accessable at
*lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/20/223 and the News contains some yellow i feel

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
Well,
What I beleive is RMS made a car without wheels..Then Linus gave him wheels. Thus the journey begin
Now Rms wanted that the wheels no longer necessary.. Linus believe the car is now worn out.. so both of them need a change!
Meanwhile MS rule the roost!!
When GPLv2 was drafted Linus was extensively consulted.. now the FSF satraps think they are bigger, and mightier, so they completely ignored him..

Historically speaking,
RMS has a inferiority complex against Linus Torwald.. The FSF has toiled for many years to create application softwares but couldn't able to create the right kernel to integrate all of them in to a functional OS.. Then Linus realeaesed his fmous kernal in to internet then rest is History..
But alas!! though only the kernal is Linus presentation,people called the whole OS as Linux although 90% softwares is from FSF...So RMS try to stem the tide and travelled the world extesively to the far end of the world It is not Linux but 'GNU/Linux' Ofcourse his explanation found takers within the community but people called it 'Linux' only...But this is not Linux Torwald fault...

with regards,
Vaithy

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I completely disagree with.infact RMS is right in this matter.FSF just got GPL3 released for the protection from tivoization and DRM menace.it is upon the devel to choose what he want.
infact Linus is totally wrong in bashing GPL3.it is a protection which FOSS community long deserves.now Id like guys to read slashdot feedbacks for the article to understand the reality.
Linus is against FSF .RMS never come public against as Linus does.
Linus got a feel good factor bcoz he is/was the "inventor" of Linux kernel.people blindly believes his sayings the right.he is a good developer,a geek,but not so good in laws!.
better if u read what happened with bitkeeper debacle and now a company called Tivo using gpl codes for their profit(leeching).
do read what RMS have to say as with GPL3:
*gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html
but do mind,there are other kernels that can be used

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
is this a fight within the OSS community ... and from teh face of it it looks like drm drm drm drm drm is 1 of the main causes ....

vaithy

In the zone
iMav said:
is this a fight within the OSS community ... and from teh face of it it looks like drm drm drm drm drm is 1 of the main causes ....

Dear iMav!!

I am very much surprised !! On seeing the number of posts against your data, I assume you are veteran here, so You naturally know this bits..

People in the OSS never come to fight for their ideology in tech forums .. they come here because they can exchange ideas with others, during the course of discussion they may have to run in to opposite views, then the views are discussed, but nobody force any kinds of fight among them..that is the Freedom of choice..! If Praka think Linux is better he has the freedom. and if you are Windows it is your choice.. then the matter end there.. but it is not always like this.. when people try to enforce their views on others the conflict arise.

There is no conflict in the DRM (Digital Restricted Management) related things.. Linux believe GPLv2 is sufficient where as RMS want GPLv3 only can eleminate DRM..So they have chosen two different ways to achieve the same goal !

If you think it is a fighting, let me tell you, that Windows users are also fighting against Vista ( ofcourse if I mentioned it you 'll be furious why I am dragging windows /)

Windows users are now asking why they have to upgrade to Vista by buyng new hardware at exorbitant prices..?

You may buy a car then after buy Petrol!!

But what if the Petrol pump man says, 'this petrol wouldn't run your car.. You should buy another car which we will recommend you'

So can I say the users of Windows are split in to two faction ? You 'll say ofcourse when time come they will change to Vista.. Yes it is the same thing in the GPLed ..When time come the two faction ( Linux and RMS) will see the reason and accepted solutions found..

with regards,
Vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom