Linux Car Crashed & came last

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
:D Pure pun intended here. Taken from Engadget.

Seems like a trick to popularize Linux among the general users failed missrably in the in Indianapolis 500 Indi race. The Linux car was the first one to crash :D

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20070529/tuxcar_540x360.jpg

Engadget said:
Linux fans didn't exactly get the publicity they were hoping for at the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, when the so-called "Linux car" they had sponsored proved to be the first in the race to crash, ultimately causing it to finish dead last. The car was the result of the Tux 500 campaign, which raised enough money to put the familiar Tux mascot front and center on Chastain Motorsports' #77 car in the hope that it'd raise the profile of the OS. Faring considerably better in the publicity department was Joost, which sponsored the car that wound up finishing a respectable seventh. Maybe next time the Linux folks should work on making the whole car open source.

Here is a video of the car crashing

Lolz...seriously, there are better way to market tux.

Some of the quotes I took from engadget

A crash eh? Sounds like an incorrect driver install issue

Agreed, definitely a driver issue, lol.

The driver couldn't figure out the interface and crashed the car?
The car was obviously still in beta. Someone should file a bug report if it crashed.
youll probably read on some linux forum somewhere about how stupid the driver was for doing what ever he did. linux doesnt crash, unless someone uses it.

But like they say: Any publicity is good publicity

Officially, the car didn't crash, it merely exprrienced a kernel panic in turn 3.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This is pretty pathetic actually. A very poor marketing gimmick that did more harm than good. Every article I've read on the Internet has criticised this whole drama. Fake Steve, in particular, has been making fun of this since forever. :lol:

Seriously, read this pathetic apologia from one of the Linux Indy car scammers reporting on the fact that the car with the penguin on it was the first car knocked out of the race. Money quote: "For now though, let it be known. We, the Linux Community, did what we set out to do. We started to tell the world about Linux. Via this event, millions of people that have never heard of Linux now have."

They've heard of it all right -- when the announcer was saying, "What's that word on the car that's smashing into the wall? Oh, Linux. I see." Yes, let it be known. "Linux" and "untimely crashes," now and forever linked in the minds of frigtards who watch cars go in circles. Great job, morons. You're ace marketers. For sure.

Apparently the guy crashed into a wall for no apparent reason. Again, a great metaphor for Linux, the software that would be a movement if only it could stop getting in its own way.
Source

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom