intl 3.00 Mhz 2Mb cache 64bit
samsung 17" monitor
80 GB SATA Samsung HDD
C: winxp pro 40 GB
D: sony DVD writer
E: empty 10GB
F: empty 10GB
G: empty 20 GB
Now I want to install Linux along with Win xp(pro) Please give adv as to how to do it in a step by step manner as I am not a techie

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Visit the following site

*www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

And download the manuals for
1) Installation
2) Getting Started
3) Custimization
4) Reference
5) Security
6) System Admin Guide
7) Glossary

etc......

But NEVER try to mess with the Linux system since I did the same when I was taught Linux some 7 years back and I screwed up my linux installation ...... and that time linux installation was not as easy as these days.
You should Experiment though......but with extreme care !

And one more suggestion.........
try and refrain yourself from logging in as root (Administrator for Linux) and you'll be safe!

I hope I'm able to help you ! (I simply can't guide you through the installation process here !)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Please see this thread and u will be thru with all ur confusions for installing LINUX as ur 2nd OS..as it helped me alot (as a newbie)

www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717

There are many LINUX techies/experts there and will help and guide u in a simple way. I too hv installed Linux (Fedora Core 4 a.k.a FC4) as my additional (2nd) OS and im very happy with it using and learning too.. :)

BTW, to install Linux as ur additional OS, u will 1st hv to make a new (RAW) partition say of 10 or 20 GB (neither FAT32 nor NTFS) then u will hv to boot from the CD ROM drive using ur Linux CD and use this partition to install Linux. The file system in Linux are of the type ext2, ext3 etc. (the same way u hv FAT32 and NTFS for Windows). Wich Linux distro are u having ?

Cheers n e-peace....

mediator

Technomancer
Well i've heard suse and xandros have pretty interfaces! when i used suse 9.1 personal the interface seemed quite ok to me!

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I have Damnsmall linux and Puppy Linux. Both of them looked pretty good to me(better than win xp). That is why I want to install linux

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
ashu888ashu888 said:
Please see this thread and u will be thru with all ur confusions for installing LINUX as ur 2nd OS..as it helped me alot (as a newbie)

www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717

There are many LINUX techies/experts there and will help and guide u in a simple way. I too hv installed Linux (Fedora Core 4 a.k.a FC4) as my additional (2nd) OS and im very happy with it using and learning too.. :)

BTW, to install Linux as ur additional OS, u will 1st hv to make a new (RAW) partition say of 10 or 20 GB (neither FAT32 nor NTFS) then u will hv to boot from the CD ROM drive using ur Linux CD and use this partition to install Linux. The file system in Linux are of the type ext2, ext3 etc. (the same way u hv FAT32 and NTFS for Windows). Wich Linux distro are u having ?

Cheers n e-peace....

Thank you

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ mako_123

U can go for Fedora Core 4 (but i guess FC 5 is also released now) as i hv installed FC4, it has a simple interface and the GUI (Graphical User Interface) is easy to follow both while installation and also while working. U can use the link wich i gave to Ramakrishnan and tat will help u alot in finding out wats the newer version in Linux :)

@ ramakrishnan, I hope u get good assistance from tat thread as even i will post replies in the same thread for u :)

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I am still confused about partitioning of disk. In my question, I have given details. Please help me with
1. How to install linux to a partition. I have various versions of linux cds with me.
2. If I am to partition in a special way, suggest software for the same.
3. I don't want to mess up my Xp os

praka123

left this forum longback
ramakrishnaa,which distro are you want to install.first see how much space do you have free in your hdd.Linux needs around 4GB or greater for most distros default install.if you have ubuntu,install it.try manual partitioning and create logical partitions for swap of around 500MB,a /boot partn and a "/" partn.(as for a n00b,real partn scheme recommends seperates /usr,/var partns etc)Start install.if u have any queries about partn,try fdisk tool.
Code:
fdisk      -l
windows partns are shown as either vfat(fat32) or ntfs types.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
prakash kerala said:
ramakrishnaa,which distro are you want to install.first see how much space do you have free in your hdd.Linux needs around 4GB or greater for most distros default install.if you have ubuntu,install it.try manual partitioning and create logical partitions for swap of around 500MB,a /boot partn and a "/" partn.(as for a n00b,real partn scheme recommends seperates /usr,/var partns etc)Start install.if u have any queries about partn,try fdisk tool.
Code:
fdisk      -l
windows partns are shown as either vfat(fat32) or ntfs types.

I want to install Ubuntu Breezy Badger. I have it's CD. I have got 80GB Hard disk(SATA). 40 GB is for C:where win xp resides which I don't want to disturb. Now the remaining 40 is divided into 10GB(e),10GB(F) and 20GB(G). In this remaining 40 GB I am ready to install anything, if necessary two or three os(linux). By the way, I have tried Puppy Live CD multisession and it has detected the soundcard also. it is very nice. Is Ubuntu better than Puppy?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I haven't used puppy but I know that ubuntu has a very good rate of detecting hardwares correctly so you should go ahead and install it. It is a very easy-to-use distro with only minimal softwares you'd require for day-to-day use.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Ultimately I installed Mandriva 2006. I liked it very much. It detected all my hardware correctly. It also plays all multimedia files also correctly. We can easily install/uninstall software through its software manager. Another one is Puppy multi session Live Cd. Most of the other version had problems while installing like not detecting sound card, no additional software etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom