Linux and VB? like gin and vodka?

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by lamrinnirmal, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lamrinnirmal

lamrinnirmal New Member

ok......this aint about alcohol.lol.just to grab the attention of you dudes.

anyways i always programmed in C and C++ on windows but lately i picked up a book on VB and i like it cause the WYSIWYG factor is more in VB! but then i picked another book on redhat since i ve been promising myself to learn it for a real long time and i got it installed on my system also when digit gave it on their dvd!
    now is learning the two a bad combination(like gin and vodka! :lol: )?its like entering the windows and linux world at the same time isnt it?

come on gurus tell me fast so i know which book to dump. i don mind reading both though

2. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Knowledge gained is never useless. Learn as much as you can. You never know what will be useful when. But if you intend to work on the GNU/Linux platform only, VB would not be of much help to you. You will be able to use your knowledge of C/C++ anyway :)

But if you intend to do programming under Windows, VB is good.

If you intend to use GCC libraries (under GNU/Linux), you can't make proprietory softwares (I think so). You can sell your software, but opening the source, permitting re-distribution, etc. is compulsory.

Anyway, have a look at this thread. Discussion about free software is going on there. ;) May be its useful to you.

Free vs. Prop. Software. Is free financially viable?
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7424

3. oldmonk

oldmonk New Member

you can try xbasic for linux. its a bit like vb - i think,

4. prakashaka

prakashaka New Member

if u know... Java.. then it is like Fanta & Vodka and Limca & Gin he heh e

5. it_waaznt_me

it_waaznt_me Coming back to life ..

Well.. I think Mono is a good bet .. And there are many IDEs for Java floating around ...

6. pradeep_chauhan

pradeep_chauhan New Member

you guys can go on and on but there is nothing to beet the good old RUM + Cola ie the mother of all -> C language.

7. OP
    OP
    lamrinnirmal

lamrinnirmal New Member

thanks tuxfan for your tips. i think i ll dive into both now and whichever appeals i ll do that

8. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Also, have a look at what Batty suggested. I missed it out. Mono is surely a good choice. It is an open source substitute of Visual Studio.Net. If you want more information on Mono, I can scan and mail you some articles :)

9. firewall

firewall New Member

well... then i would suggest DotGNU :) why to use proprietary languages like .NET. if you wis hto run your web apps on .NET servers, use DotGNU :)

;)

10. prakashaka

prakashaka New Member

What id DotGNU can u explain a bit... Firewall.. Pleeeeeeez

11. firewall

firewall New Member

12. visvo

visvo New Member

hmm.. i m learning .. thanx guys

13. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

As tuxfan said, learning up something is never a bad thing... keep it up... be do keep in mind the relevence of what you're learning....

I think what you're looking for is Gambas .... its a kind of VB like interface builder... and you wont have any learning curve in front of you !
    Check: http://gambas.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

But then you also have a host of user interface building tools at your disposal, my pick, Tcl/Tk with Python

14. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Yes exactly, the gcc libraries like glibc and others are licenced under GPL... now if your app is using the glibc as a staticaly linked library (or as a shared library or whatever) .... you cannot create proprietary software out of it since your program depends upon a GPL software...

15. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Wow!! GNUrag, is this gambas good? I am totally out of touch with C. Do I need to know it if I want to use gambas? I will check out the site. But please tell me as much as you know. Thanks. :)

16. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah gambas looks cool. and i think its for basic. thats what bas stands for.i think! :? it looks pretty cool too. thanks gnurag! all we need is more documentation for now!

17. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

NO, you dont have to recall C knowledge... its based on Basic... so a knowledge of VB would help.... I haven't tried it myself but have heard many positive reviews for Gambas...

Just go over to its homepage < http://gambas.sourceforge.net/ > and check out its features for yourself... it has an excellent FAQ and help section but it does not have a tutorial section.... anyways do check out its homepage...

[OFF TOPIC]
    a quote from the author of Gambas from its homepage :

Later, during my studies at the E.P.I.T.A., I wrote a Lisp interpreter under Windows 3.1. During six months, I discovered Windows, its stupid memory model, the Microsoft C compiler, and its numerous bugs.

18. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Quote from Gambas FAQ section: < http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/Gambas/WebSiteFAQ >

It seems that free projects name are often animals, especially the programming language ones: Python, Camel, Bonobo, etc.

And I wanted to have a recursive acronym with the word "Basic" in it. So, Gambas Almost Means BASic!

19. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

I wonder why is there such a hugh inclination for recursive names in Free Software writers!! GNU, PHP, GAMBAS, etc.

Anyway, I will wait if Digit gives gambas on its CD/DVD. I have put in a request at the right thread. Lets see :)

20. firewall

firewall New Member

This is i think Hackers and especially hackers from MIT tradition is to choose acronyms and abbreviations to refer humorously .

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.