Linux and the govt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksnaveen

Right off the assembly line
Dear Friends,

I am not a computer expert but a user. I need to know some of the facts. And I think this is the best platform:

Is it safe to keep the source code on the net, if a govt chooses to go for linux?Please inform me about any govt that has completely migrated to linux. It is better if we can discuss this matter at length. We are hearing a lot about open source these days. Few (both computer experts and those who have no idea of computers) are argueing that open source is the best way. While others are expressing the fear to the length of somebody taking the source code from the net and writing a virus and create havoc in govt depts. Is this a true fear?

Thanks,

KS NAVEEN

Ashis

In the zone
Hunn.........

Ur Concern is right !!!
It could give a Virus writer a insite of how Linux functions allowing them to find flaws & exploiting it :?

But for that, It would requir a good deal of knowledge !!!

tuxfan

Technomancer
Not only governments, there are a few schools as well who are on GNU/Linux now. I read about one of them from Bangalore. Its Marry Land High School. However, here's a small list of organisations that have adopted GNU/Linux for their working.

1.Merry Land High School, Bangalore
2.2070 Government Schools in Madhya Pradesh
3.Mantralaya, Mumbai
4.Indian Railway Catering Department
5.Tis Hazari Courts, New Delhi
6.Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai where A.B.Vajpayee & Amitabh Bachchan had their surgeries.
7.Life Insurance Corporation of India
8.Chinese Defence Department

pallavnawani

Broken In
ksnaveen said:
Dear Friends,

I am not a computer expert but a user. I need to know some of the facts. And I think this is the best platform:

Is it safe to keep the source code on the net, if a govt chooses to go for linux?Please inform me about any govt that has completely migrated to linux. It is better if we can discuss this matter at length. We are hearing a lot about open source these days. Few (both computer experts and those who have no idea of computers) are argueing that open source is the best way. While others are expressing the fear to the length of somebody taking the source code from the net and writing a virus and create havoc in govt depts. Is this a true fear?

Thanks,

KS NAVEEN

The fear is not correct for the following reasons:
1. Virus creators have all the information they need to write a virus, even though you may not make the source code open. Just see the number of viruses on Windows!

2. It is not easy for a virus to spread under linux. This is because a lot of virus prone microsoft technologies cannot be used under Linux. Example:
ActiveX.

3. If a virus infects one users files, it cannot infect other's files, because the ordinary user will not have write permissions to others files. Also, the main system files itself will not be infected for the same reason. Of course, if the user is administrator then anything may happen.

In short, keeping the source code on the net has no effect on virus writers. They can easily write viruses even without it. However, there is a benefetial effect of keeping the source open.

Assume your office uses Windows. Now somebody find a new exploit to gain access to windows computers. What can you do? Nothing. You have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem. It may do it the next day. It may release a fix after 6 month.

Assume you use Linux. Now somebody find a new exploit to gain access to Linux computers. What can you do? You know the problem, you get the code and fix it. Done. Or you inform the developers of the problem. They issue a fix that very day. If they aren't listening, you pay some linux guy to fix it for you. He does it and fixes the problem for you.

In short, having the code empowers you.

Pallav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom