Linux and PS3=No PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Sony has said in the past that the PlayStation 3 would render traditional PCs useless given its powerful processing platform and Linux-based operating system. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC," said Sony's Phil Harrision in late May.

It appears that Harrison's dream is coming true. The PS3 hasn't even been released yet, but Colorado-based Terra Soft has announced a 3rd-party Linux-based operating system for the console. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 fully supports the PlayStation 3 platform, is built on Fedora Core 5.0 and brings the following to the table:
kernel 2.6.16
gcc 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4
Cell SDK 1.1
OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
Nautilus 2.14
Suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and
Networking applications

Source

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 development is funded by Sony. I think its a very smart move , even it will never replace traditional PC's but if my game system is capable of doing that , it wud be exciting. On the other hand MS is doing its all possible efforts to stop hackers from using xbox360 as a Linux machine coz the theory is simple .
First MS and Linux no match ,second when ppl start buying ur machines for running it like a PC other than playing games, it directly affects game sales , coz MS(like Sony) is already loosing money on every xbox360 sold and the primary means of earning money is game sales and the live service , now if they sell much Xbox’s and not as much games/live service = LOSS.

Sony will be affected by the second factor too , but when they are selling a PS3 they are also increasing blu ray presence in the market, which is what they certainly want. So more ps3 they sell the shape is not as bad it sounds for MS ,Linux geeks are really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
the biggest advantage with linux on ps3 will be that hardware support will be very very good as there'll be only 1 configuration to take care of n that's y pre-compiled linux software can also be distributed for ps3 without ny probs , it might take off really well !

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd rather like to see Gentoo ported to PS3 *forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443551.html
*forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-488144.html
the biggest advantage with linux on ps3 will be that hardware support will be very very good as there'll be only 1 configuration to take care of n that's y pre-compiled linux software can also be distributed for ps3 without ny probs , it might take off really well !
Nah compiling gentoo on cell will be a nice experience. Anyone willing to do it?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well gentoo can very well use binaries. So, a gentoo system, with it's debian background, when already optimised and ready for install, using scripts, can become really easy to install for newbies. At the same time it gives power users complete control over the install. I guess you haven't seen Gentoo 2006.0 or 2006.1 x86 version.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 installation on ps3 will be click and go , so every user will be able to install it very easily ,as the hardware will be same for every user there will be no probs like installing linux on pc's. Linux users will definitely find a way to install other distros on the machine may be not very soon but eventually it will be there.

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
interesting , if price was not an issue for me then i wud beee the first one to book ps3 in advance ... may be ps4 also

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
tech_your_future said:
Well gentoo can very well use binaries. So, a gentoo system, with it's debian background, when already optimised and ready for install, using scripts, can become really easy to install for newbies. At the same time it gives power users complete control over the install. I guess you haven't seen Gentoo 2006.0 or 2006.1 x86 version.
well i've seen 2006.1 x86 version but it screwed up my hdd on first boot up , i choose expert mode choosing options carefully but thent too it erased partitions off my drive iwthout permission !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom