Linus Torvalds to Microsoft: put up or shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Aw snap. Just when you thought the Microsoft / open-source relationship was getting bad, it’s now getting even worse, as yet another turn has been taken in the on-again, off-again love affair between the two. Soon after Microsoft’s General Counsel claimed that free and open-source software (FOSS) — a bundle of which related to Linux — violated precisely 235 of its patents,

Linus Torvalds decided to fire back on behalf of the little guy. In an interview with InformationWeek, Mr. Torvalds retorted by suggesting that it is actually “a lot more likely that Microsoft violates patents than Linux does,” and even noted that if “the source code for Windows could be subjected to the same critical review that Linux has been, Microsoft would find itself in violation of patents held by other companies.” Of course, he backed his statements by stating that the “fundamental stuff was done about half a century ago and has long, long since lost any patent protection,” and closed things up by insinuating that Redmond should put its cards on the table so that Linux users prove ‘em wrong, or better yet, “code around whatever silly things they claim.” As if you couldn’t tell, them’s fightin’ words, folks.

Source: *www.technoworld.uni.cc/linux/linus-torvalds-to-microsoft-put-up-or-shut-up/

Please give credit to original authors instead of giving url of your own forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

mediator

Technomancer
There was a "read more" or "full story" like link on that page, they removed it I guess, which linked to technoworld and then from there to idm.net and FINALLY I read the full article!! :oops:

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
mediator said:
There was a "read more" or "full story" like link on that page, they removed it I guess, which linked to technoworld and then from there to idm.net and FINALLY I read the full article!! :oops:

Not they. It was me. It is my site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :p :D :D :D :D

mediator

Technomancer
Woo! NIce site. Don't mind, But I think I have seen that design of that site on various other sites!! :razz:

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
mediator said:
Woo! NIce site. Don't mind, But I think I have seen that design of that site on various other sites!! :razz:

May be. It is not my design!!!! :p :p :p :p it is a PHP-script by Fransisco Burzi i.e. PHP-Nuke devel. So it is a theme.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Microsoft has no right to say that Linux violates it's patents. i think that MS is being very high handed. Nice reaction Torvalds...

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
saurabh.sauron said:
Microsoft has no right to say that Linux violates it's patents. i think that MS is being very high handed. Nice reaction Torvalds...

Yes. Right. MS is sayin that linux violates its patents. But do you know one thing about Our Much loved windows (not me. i m a linux clone), is not a complete product from MS. In reality Windows is a copied and modified code of unix or apple (Sorry i dont remeber). Probably a copy of unix when it was distributed for free! It is the reality guys.

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
saurabh.sauron said:

Actually They have every right, Just like I have every right to say that I built Qutub Minar, Its called Freedom of Speech and expression. :))

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
kumarmohit said:
Actually They have every right, Just like I have every right to say that I built Qutub Minar, Its called Freedom of Speech and expression. :))
Ok you say that u hv built the Qutub Minar. Then why in all history books it is not written that Qutub Minar was built by "kumarohit" :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The Unknown said:
Yes. Right. MS is sayin that linux violates its patents. But do you know one thing about Our Much loved windows (not me. i m a linux clone), is not a complete product from MS. In reality Windows is a copied and modified code of unix or apple (Sorry i dont remeber). Probably a copy of unix when it was distributed for free! It is the reality guys.

You just won the "Comedian of the year award" :D

MS came up with there own kernel for WIndows 95 & NT.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
gx_saurav said:
You just won the "Comedian of the year award" :D

MS came up with there own kernel for WIndows 95 & NT.
Hey buddy. It is not a joke. My dad told me that thing!

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
gx_saurav said:
^^^^^ well, you should search on the net then to confirm yourself. This is not the case.
Leave it. What i want to do by knowing who invented windows or how was it invented. I am a linux clone. So i don't need to know that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom