Linspire will debut Freespire Linux in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Linspire, formerly called (Lindows) is going to debut FreeSpire in a week's time.
This one is not an another Linux distro. It's the first Linux to include most of the
legally licensed & available third-party proprietary codices, drivers & software.

FreeSpire will have one-click access to legal support for MP3, DVD, Windows Media,
QuickTime, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, ATI & NVidia Graphic cards, Windows modem drivers,
proprietary Wi-Fi drivers, BitsStream fonts, & more!!
FreeSpire is available for free as BitTorrent download.
Get it from here

Read more about it here

What makes FreeSpire different is that the Look'n' Feel is almost like Windows.
It's easy to use. Users migrating from Windows to Linux can try FreeSpire.
They will definitely like it!! The commercial one, LinSpire ships with CrossOver
Office, which lets you run Windows applications like IE 6.0, Office XP, Dreamweaver,
PhotoShop 7.0 etc., If you are new to Linux, this a must try Linux!!

Checkout some screenshots!!

Control Center

*img86.imageshack.us/img86/8469/freespirecontrolcenterir7.th.png

Desktop

*img86.imageshack.us/img86/521/freespiredesktopht6.th.png

Menu

*img86.imageshack.us/img86/5844/freespiremenuml9.th.png

Last edited:

Venom

Journeyman
I dont like it but I hope it 'somehow' helps users get comfortable with *nix, to enjoy pure adventurous computing :D

borg

In the zone
I wont run IE even if Mcft gave me billion $$$

Oh yes you will. A billion dollars is too much.

This Linspire is said to imitate Windows too closely. Is that true. I mean, I believe that Linux should retain it's distinctiveness & become easy to use at the same time.

Also, is Freespire LSB compliant?. This is very important in choosing a desktop Linux distro.

Yes it is LSB 3.1 compliant. Good thing.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
And some stupid things I hate about Linspire is that they use different Open Source applications in their distro and rename while almost completelt removing traces of the original name of the product eg. they renamed Firefox to Linpire Browser, nowhere could the name Firefox be found. Same for XMMS.
And the most hillarious thing I saw, a 40$ anti-virus for Linux. I didn't get it but it seemed like ClamWin to me, I won't say for sure until I really know.
Hope these things aren't repeated in Freespire.

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Borg, Yes, Linspire is LSB 3.1 compliant. It's a Debian-based distro.
@Tech_your_future, you are right!! These Linspire guys try to flaunt as if they developed
everything!! It's Linspire browser( actually, it's FireFox!!) , & the same for everything,
so that they can increase the product price!! These things haven't changed unfortunately!!

borg

In the zone
I don't know who would buy a $40 antivirus for Linux!. I use the free Avast antivirus on both Windows & Linux (yes there is a Linux version too).

Avast should be more than sufficient.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
but what about apps like LSongs player etc...it rocks
*sourceforge.net/projects/ostunes/

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, LSongs rocks for sure. It' s in Beta 4 state. It's got lots of great features too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom