Linspire 5.0 ( Formerlly Lindows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Linspire 5.0 is out, and it's taking a bit of inspiration from another commercial operating system—Mac OS X.

Version 5.0 has a lot of new features, including a new look and feel, the 2.6.10 kernel, KDE 3.3, Reiser 4 file system, x.org 6.8.2, 802.11g wireless support, new AOL dialer, enhanced firewall, BitTorrent support, and a VPN wizard among other things.

Also included are a couple of new apps modeled somewhat after Apple's iLife: Lsongs music manager and the Lphoto photo manager. Linspire also comes bundled with OpenOffice 1.1.3 and a new tutorial player designed to make learning about Linspire easy and fast

Screenshot:
*www.thefilebucket.com/userfiles/krsriraman/lindows.jpg

The Linspire desktop is well organized and has everything you need to get started using the operating system, including the usual My Computer, browser, email, and printer icons.

You'll also find a helpful "How to Tutorial" icon. This icon launches the tutorial player that comes with Linspire 5.0. We found the tutorials helpful but we did not like the color of the text. Green text is never easy to read and we feel strongly that the next release of Linspire should include a tutorial system that is easier on the eyes.

Linspire includes the usual programs for web browsing (a customized version of Mozilla), office suite (OpenOffice), instant messaging (customized version of GAIM), RealPlayer, Nvu (for creating web sites), and a number of other programs. There is a healthy but not overwhelming amount of software included with Linspire 5.0.

Linspire comes bundled with the ability to view QuickTime, Windows Media, Flash, and other media types. We were able to view movie trailers without doing anything other than clicking on the trailer and choosing our media type. Just for the heck of it, we picked Windows Media and the movie trailer played perfectly with no problems whatsoever.

Of particular interest in this release are Lphoto and Lsongs. These two apps reminded us of Apple's excellent iLife applications for OS X. Although not quite as slick as what Apple is offering, Lphoto and Lsongs definitely add value to Linspire. They provide solid functionality for handling photo albums and music on your Linspire system.

Lphoto lets you organize photos into albums, view slide shows, burn photos to CD, reduce red eye, and lots of other things. New features in Lphoto include better export options, a new web-page-templating system and the ability to import the same image multiple times into different albums.

Lsongs is quite similar to Apple's iTunes application. You can organize your song collection in the Media Library, listen to audio streams in the Stations section (unlike Apple's iTunes you will need to download a separate player application and you will need to use SHOUTcast), and buy music online via MP3Tunes in the Music Store area.

Linspire also includes Ltorrent (a BitTorrent client). We aren't much for file sharing but we were glad that Ltorrent was included. You never know when it might come in handy.

For more screen shots and a detailed review visit
*www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1787948,00.asp

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
nope.. linspire is a debain-based paid OS. I have used it but frankly ubuntu is a lot better than linspire.... i'd even say FC3 is a lot better....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
NikhilVerma said:
Not even close to Windows but simplest I've seen yet...
Hmmm... They could have made Windows a little more better !!! Ubuntu still is by far the simplest distribution as yet..

Linspire for the time being is in the news because it offers a migration path for another operating system without that Shock Effect..

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
mail2and said:
nope.. linspire is a debain-based paid OS. I have used it but frankly ubuntu is a lot better than linspire.... i'd even say FC3 is a lot better....
Mandrake is the BEST.........

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I'm am experienced with that shock effect...

But everytime I meet a linux junkie he tells me a new OS is better ... Some say Ubuntu,Some say Knoppix, Some say FC3... Some say Linspire..

What do I need, and which is better for home??
I don't want any more features than Windows XP..
I just connect the net surf,chat, play games, program in C++ ( gc++ is not good) and common stuff like that...

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
NikhilVerma said:
I'm am experienced with that shock effect...

But everytime I meet a linux junkie he tells me a new OS is better ... Some say Ubuntu,Some say Knoppix, Some say FC3... Some say Linspire..

What do I need, and which is better for home??
I don't want any more features than Windows XP..
I just connect the net surf,chat, play games, program in C++ ( gc++ is not good) and common stuff like that...
Mandrake is the best I have seen..................
I have used Ubuntu, FC 3, Suse and Red hat 7 (lomg time back) and now I'm using Mandrake................
It is the best I have seen and I'm not just talkin about Linux, I'm talking about OSes..........................
Compared to other Linux distributions, Mandrake has many Inbuilt features so that you need not waste time in something like mounting Ntfs partitions by downoading some RPM SH!T and need not worry about inbuilt players needing codecs to run some kind of a video or media........... Most of them are inbuilt and all other Linux features are intact.....................

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Gentoo is the best. All others are a compromise. Some day you all will graduate to Gentoo till then play with your toys no problems.

Gentoo RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom