Limited Virtual Memory (WinXP)....Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
hi all,

i recently upgraded from win xp home to professional. now, whenever i boot my pc, before the desktop icons are shown, there is a message box saying the following :

Limited Virtual Memory
--------------------------
Your system have no paging file, or the paging file is too small. To fix this problem, go to system in control panel, click the advanced tab, and under performance, click settings, on the advanced tab, click change, click 'custom size' and then type an initial or max paging file size.

i tried the procedure that is explained above (atleast 5 times) but message box still appear whenever i start my pc. although pc seems to work ok.

plzzzzzzzzz help me.

hi

change the paging file size of all drive to 3000mb,this will give a performance boostand the display warning goess off.hey not to set size more than max. size

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
i have 256 ddr ram installed and my pc doesnt have PAGEFILE.SYS file. this is strange. i have done windows search and manual search to find this file but its simply not there :roll: :roll: now what shud i do

shaunak

Tux Fan
Re: hi

nvidiasingh2006mb said:
change the paging file size of all drive to 3000mb,this will give a performance boostand the display warning goess off.hey not to set size more than max. size
i think the total pagefile shoudnt be more than 1.5 times your physical memory
thus for 256 mb physical ram it should be 640 mb total virtual memory

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. Look at Pagefile.sys security settings to verify that everyone has access to it...

2. I read from another forum that someone who had the problem got it solved when he updated the Intel Application Accelerator on the computer... Of course, another person said that it did not work for him but you can try that out...

3. Try to set NO (I repeat, NO) pagefile for all partitions, restart (twice, just to be sure). Then, see in Folder Options->View and make sure "Hide protected OS files" is turned off. Now, verify if there is a pagefile.sys in any partition's root directory and remove it... (If you cant remove it, try in safe mode)... Then, restart the system once more and now, set the pagefile in one drive as per requirement...

Hope that helps
Arun

bit

Banned
PainKiller said:
i have 256 ddr ram installed and my pc doesnt have PAGEFILE.SYS file. this is strange. i have done windows search and manual search to find this file but its simply not there :roll: :roll: now what shud i do

In the Run box, paste this and press enter:
Code:
mk:@MSITStore:D:\WINDOWS\Help\sysdm.chm::/sysdm_advancd_perform_change_vmpagefile.htm
Or follow this:
1. Open *System* in Control Panel.
2. On the *Advanced* tab, under *Performance*, click *Settings*.
3. On the *Advanced* tab, under *Virtual memory*, click *Change*.
4. Under *Drive [Volume Label]*, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
5. Under *Paging file size for selected drive*, click *System Managed size* and then click *Set*.

Now you should see *pagefile.sys* in partition where windows resides.

sakumar79

Technomancer
PainKiller said:

Pagefile.sys is a system file and hidden by default... Since search by default omits hidden file, it will not locate it... Go to My Computer and select Tools menu->Folder Options. Here, in View tab, uncheck "Hide protected operating systems file (Recommended)". Now, it should be visible... (It might be good to set it back to hide after finishing for sake of preventing accidental deletion of other system files)

Arun

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
thnx 4 ur replies guyz...i have solved d problem
i re-installed INTEL ULTRA ATA STORAGE DRIVER from the mobo cd and it has created the pagefile.sys on my hard disk. everything is working normal.

thanx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom