Limewire

Status
Not open for further replies.

naru

Broken In
Hi,

I've got an MTNL 256 kBps Triband connection.

When I download stuff off websites (using IE or firefox without any download manager), the speed's a consistent 28-30 kbps.

But when I download a file from Limewire, the speed hardly ever goes beyond 15-17 kbps. This is true even for file with over 25 sources. Anything with less than 11 sources doesn't even start.

Why is this happening?

Please help.

\/endett/\

Broken In
I feel u have a 256 kbps connection and not 256 kBps connection.
Reasons for problem-
1] Port may be blocked or shared/may not be forwarded by the router correctly.
2] You may NOT be using the LIMEWIRE PRO version, which allows Turbo-charged download speeds, ie. dw speed = bandwidth allocation (u should get arnd 30-32 kbps with a good number of peers)

Suggestions-
Try reinstalling the l8est limewire pro v4.12 . Next, make sure u set the listening port to any value in 5 digits, like 23456 or 37472. Make sure this port isnt blocked by windows firewall or any other that u may be using.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can go for Airtel broadband. Anyday Airtel is better than MTNL.
You can also include the suggestions give by VendettA.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Make sure you assigned full priority and download speed to the dowloads from limewire.. it does have this option somewhere and I am not sure if this is selected by default

shovik

Banned
Firstly, Limewire's download speed is hampered if you r behind a firewall, which other peers connected to Limewire's network takes time to overcome.
Secondly, ur bandwidth is shared between ur downloads and uploads. As u download anything from Limewire certain bandwidth is used to use ur machine as a leacher to keep up the speed of the network. Don't worry this happens to all the Limewire user who r connected.
Try to keep ur download nos to two at a time to get a pretty fast download speed.

Regards,
Shovik.

gaurav_sood91

Broken In
maybe because of less peers. one thing that hampers the download speed is that it is built upon java. try airtel broadband as its very good.

niggers

Broken In
niggers here !

I ll tell u wat to do. Follow these steps:

1. Check if firewall for windows is enabled (disable it)
2. Check if firewall for the internet connection is enabled (disable it)
3. Open limewire, when it gets fully connected see in the bottom left corner if it shows u behind any firewall i.e. still some firewall is ON. (try findn\ing the firewall and disable it.)
4. Check the limewire options and c whether u have assigned full speed for downloading.

Rest will discuss later

\/endett/\

Broken In
gaurav_sood91 said:
one thing that hampers the download speed is that it is built upon java.
what??? I know no reason as to why Java will reduce download speed. If u know of some valid reason, then plz state :)
My argument is, Azureus, the most popular BT client is also written in Java, and (based on my experience) its faster and better than all the other clients, be it BitComet or BitLord or uTorrent.
THe only disavantage is that these Java apps tax system resources heavily....

\/endett/\

Broken In
ax3 said:
how 2 find which ports windows is using ???
Any firewall (xcept built-in Win Firewall) highlights the port and the application thats using it, eg svchost.exe etc.
Generally,these ports are of the lower order, ie. below 10k. Hence its better to use higher ports for other apps. Those can be viewed in windows firewall/ports by using firewall.cpl cmd :)

OP
N

naru

Broken In
I don't have any firewall.

I've been using Limewire for over a year now and its performance was never this bad.

I've tried Port Forwarding too, but to no avail.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Try sharing more files, speeds increase that way. It might be a port trouble too... anyways am not sure, since I use Pro and I get good speeds.

\/endett/\

Broken In
naru said:
I don't have any firewall.

I've been using Limewire for over a year now and its performance was never this bad.

I've tried Port Forwarding too, but to no avail.
Since u r getting 32 kbps otherwise, the problem is wid Limewire config and not the ISP. Try reinstallinmg, and make sure u have a PRO version...that makes a hell lot of diff. I was getting 5-10 kBps with Non-pro comapred to 25-30 kBps with pro. BTW, whats ur listening port? R u sure this port is not blocked by win firewall?

OP
N

naru

Broken In
\/endett/\ said:
Since u r getting 32 kbps otherwise, the problem is wid Limewire config and not the ISP. Try reinstallinmg, and make sure u have a PRO version...that makes a hell lot of diff. I was getting 5-10 kBps with Non-pro comapred to 25-30 kBps with pro. BTW, whats ur listening port? R u sure this port is not blocked by win firewall?

I'm running W2K without any firewall.

Listening port: 51279

Where did you get pro version from? I mean, did u pay for it??

\/endett/\

Broken In
naru said:
I'm running W2K without any firewall.

Listening port: 51279

Where did you get pro version from? I mean, did u pay for it??
so, yours isnt a pro version? well, then thats the main reason for slow speeds.
Digit CD in april had Limewire Pro 4.10 But if u want 4.12, u need to get it via torrents (dunno if its legal or not)

OP
N

naru

Broken In
There's another problem:

I've got the night unlimited plan from MTNL. So I have to download movies in multiple sessions.

The problem's that after the first session, limewire shows 80% download complete.

But when I log on again (say after a day or two), the indicator shows the file is just 30% complete.

Where the heck did the 50% go? How can the 4-hour data transfer simply disappear?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
take my advice do not download movies using lime wire 8 out of 10 times it will be corrupt ...... coz of the way it downloads ..... for movies torrents is the best use bit commet as ur torrent client

ur 50% is gone because it is corrupt as the sources to the file have changed and hence the file properties hence dont download movies (huge files) using lime-wire

kreigsmarine

Broken In
go to tools>options>speed>connection speed>change it to dsl\cable......same thing happened with me,when i upgraded from dialup to broadband....however if u've been using broadband and this problems cropped up suddenly....sorry dude,cant help u there,,.,
best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom