LG G1600 cell phone with Airtel GPRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
This is more than a week now that I bought a LG G1600 (a Class 10 GPRS mobile) and took Airtel connection (post paid at Rs 125 per month rental (all calls/sms local or STD at Rs 1.25 p.m.) under their Festival plan, PLUS the regular Rs 150 for Mobile Office connectivity). I requested Airtel for enabling GPRS. That they have done as I am occasionally able to access it on the handset.
I have tried 4-5 data cables ? USB or Serial, but none seems to work with LGSync software and neither it shows any connectivity when connected to the PC. Last night I did get a serial cable marked LG1600, but the LG synchronisation tries to connect the mobile to the PC for 45 seconds and then gives the message ?failed?. What may be wrong? I will wait for the reply today before returning this back to the vendor. I am thinking of even returning the handset.
I suspect if I am doing some thing wrong!! I presume that LGSync software must be able to confirm if the PC has recognised the mobile phone and once it does, the browser should automatically connect. I searched Windows help, but it shows only installing Bluetooth mobile phones, but on my Windows XP, Blue Tooth Devices option is not available. How can the PC connect to the net through the mobile.
Besides the internet connectivity, even Airtel Live, that is free, continues to give network error on the Wap browser of the LG G1600. I am also unable to access net thru the Wap browser of the handset itself. Airtel Live or Rediff, both are momentarily connected and then give ?network error?. If I connect to Rediff, some 10% of the time it does get connected, but for a few seconds or 1-2 minutes. The moment I access a mail and am able to read some part, and clicking MORE (or even reply, or ?back to Inbox ? rather any option later), the browser hangs and after a minute, it gives ?network error?.

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
And to add to my woes, the Airtel customer service is horrible. I have personally visited their centres thrice, but still my 121 customer care service is not giving me any option to select English or Hindi and going to Marathi. I have not made a single call so far on this handset, and the ‘unbill’ sms to 646 has returned an amount of Rs 135!!!!

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
I could succeed in accessing internet through Airtel Mobile office on LG G1600. The problems I faced were:
1. There is no USB cable for this handset. The shop keepers at Nagpur were providing me some cables that were never fitting. It seems that these LG sets are only compatible with serial cables. Finally a vendor supplied me the original LG5300 cable and supplied me the software LG GSM also and helped me to install the software for the model C3100.
2. The software too was incorrect. As mentioned, it was set right after I installed that for C3100. This has worked all right. Though now I found another software at the WowLG site too for this particular handset, and will download that too if it is really different.

However, it is still some times not getting connected to the net through LG internet kit. Whenever I open this app. and select my connection (the name of the profile I had given in my handset), every time it insists on installing the driver (why??) and at times, it says that cannot be connected at the moment, and try later.

However, I am not happy about one thing about the handset. There is a single port for charging as well as for any connection. When I am connected to the net, even after a full charge, the battery gets drained out after 2.5-3 hours, and I had to stop it.
There is another minus point about the handset, or rather its software. Its WAP browser is so dumb that there is no ?Back? option anywhere while browsing. I have to depend on the web pages link only, or again start anew from the bookmark.
Hope this helps some users in trying to access internet through Airtel mobile office on LG G1600.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
Guyz... i told ya all b4.... go with se-t290 or samsung-c210 if browsin da net is ur chief priority... but u all r very clve\r by urslf... nw face da consequences... lol

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
LG G1600 is Class 10 GPRS and hence I preferred. besides the fellow said that the data cable for t290 is not available at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom