LG 4163 DVD writer sucked me

Status
Not open for further replies.

godblessedson

Broken In
Hi friends

This time I thought to share my experience with my first DVD writer LG 4163 (RAM Drive).

Day 1: I bought a black colour DVD writer and installed on my new AThlon 64 3000+ (939)+MSI RS 480 M2, 80 GB samsung had disk. ROM drive stopped working as tray was not coming out though detected by system but not worked.

Day 2: LG dealer had not had the black colour ROM so given a new white ROM to use for 2-3 days and then replace with black colour. Agreed upon I enjoyed the ROm for four days, installed windows XP and other software, used image writing and exchanged back with black colour after that.
DAY 5: installed black one again (i made sure this is a different drive by serial number) and had same problem. TRAY did not came out.

DAY 6: again got white color ROM (agreed to change after 2-3 with black colour) and checked on my system again same problem TRAY DID NOT OPEN UP.

Day 7: Returned to dealer and thinking for other brands

a. SONY
b. Samsung
c. ASUS

My first CD-ROM was Asus and second was Samsung CD writer. ASUS is still best and samsung never gave any problem.

After an opinion poll on LG 4163, i decided to buy same. But sucked up...... infact I some time doubt my system, but why the second time it had no problem gives me some assurance that system is fine......

I agree in technology somebody may have to suffer and thats why to protect myself I would like to spend a little more for sake of warrenty and thats why I bought UMAX flash drive for 1000/- (2 years warranty) quantum is available for 800/- with one year warrenty.

Buying LG product (absolutely first time I bought any LG product) is a nightmare for me.
if anybody too had same problem with LG 4163, please reply here. am I alone s(f)ucked up by LG (thrice in a row)?

magnet

Youngling
dude...sometimes its badluk...u suffered in lg...i m suffering frm every product of samsung which i bought............nywaYS.... try to get stuffs frm dealers who r reputed....they may charge 200-400 bucks xtra.....but may provide decent replacement.....i had a pecuilar prob..that i need to press reset button with power on to start my pc.........i changed y asus board thrice...but still the prob remained as it is..........then i went to service center directly...than frm records i came to know...the replace mobos...given to me...where not new.......but had some earlier display defects...which after correction...was being given to me...in short i was given used products.....(btw the prob was with the smps...)

I have a feeling your dealer/supplier/retailer has access to a cr*pload of defective drives and is trying to offload them onto unsuspecting buyers. Sometimes they themselves may not know.

Look, if I was in your shoes I'd ask for a full refund (with threats of legal action) and take my business elsewhere. No point blaming LG. BTW, stick to better brands - Pioneer, Sony/Liteon, Plextor, NEC or BenQ. LG is a great company if you're looking for AC's and Fridges or Plasma TV's. :lol:

This is India. Substantard units easily find their way into the market and are sold as normal quality stock. Overseas, they are stocked as seconds and cleared off through auctions. With a clear mention that they may not work as advertised. They come dirt cheap, but without warranties/service. I know atleast one such agency - Grays Online Australia. This is completely legal as the buyer is informed. Even Apple and Sony do it.

-Keith

OP
G

godblessedson

Broken In
which is a better brand

yea it may be as you pointed that dealer is having defective devices, I am surprised as all are apparently new and have got same problem. I decided to buy LG with opinion poll in this forum. I am further surprised as this is a brand new item they had no choice but replace. had it been become defective after certain usage for few months how they would have treated me. Any way I got the bill with serial number from the dealer.

I had no problem with my previous Asus and Samsung drive anyway, just opted with LG coz of additional RAM writing facility. I am not against LG so for last time wit instruction to dealer I have taken LG again today.

which one is a better brand may usually be a matter of debate. As one person best choice is other person nightmare.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Keith Sebastian said:
I have a feeling your dealer/supplier/retailer has access to a cr*pload of defective drives and is trying to offload them onto unsuspecting buyers. Sometimes they themselves may not know.

Look, if I was in your shoes I'd ask for a full refund (with threats of legal action) and take my business elsewhere. No point blaming LG. BTW, stick to better brands - Pioneer, Sony/Liteon, Plextor, NEC or BenQ. LG is a great company if you're looking for AC's and Fridges or Plasma TV's. :lol:

This is India. Substantard units easily find their way into the market and are sold as normal quality stock. Overseas, they are stocked as seconds and cleared off through auctions. With a clear mention that they may not work as advertised. They come dirt cheap, but without warranties/service. I know atleast one such agency - Grays Online Australia. This is completely legal as the buyer is informed. Even Apple and Sony do it.

-Keith
I agree totally. I have heard from those in the U.S. that the chinese products they get are as good as those from Japan. But here we are in India.
Secondly I have used LG Flatron 17" for nearly 4 years and it is still fine. So with my LG AC, W. Machine etc. But the LG DVD Rom which I have been using for more than 3 years reads the disc only if it likes. It was so from the very beginning. I used to think that the probem defective disks.

In short, it is preferable to stick to better brands, depending on the product
V.Prem Kumar

AlienTech

In the zone
The only difference in color is the beigl plate, real easy to change it, some even sell different colors. Maybe the problem is not the drive but the computer? I have had trouble where the door would not open sometimes and other times it works fine. I know electronics always have problems, but not with different units unless in this case the entire shipment was meant to be scraped (maybe USER returns for tray not opening out of millions) but instead wound up in scrap yard in India. Where they decided to sell it. I am amazed at the number of stuff they sell here which are supposed to be scrapped. They scrap stuff to be destroyed because it saves them taxes. Usually they will put holes and stuff in the units so this does not happen, but sometimes the unit looks like new and in many cases does even work fine. Scrapping the units is a HUGE tax break for the manufacturer or distributor that gets to write off its entire cost and lets them get rid of old stuff. You can also ask the dealer to test the system right there and they usually have many test systems you can try out temporarely.

In the US you can save HUGE by buying scrap in speciality shops especially in the bay area. You usually pay 10% of its cost. I learnt hardware basically by buying stuff like this. Heck buy 10 of em and swap parts and get 5 working :) I did that when cd roms were expensive and I got like 20 drives for $10 each and got 10 of em working for a BBS.

AlienTech

In the zone
janitha said:
I agree totally. I have heard from those in the U.S. that the chinese products they get are as good as those from Japan. But here we are in India.
Secondly I have used LG Flatron 17" for nearly 4 years and it is still fine. So with my LG AC, W. Machine etc. But the LG DVD Rom which I have been using for more than 3 years reads the disc only if it likes. It was so from the very beginning. I used to think that the probem defective disks.

In short, it is preferable to stick to better brands, depending on the product
V.Prem Kumar

Chinese products dont come near Japanese quality. But Japanese stuff are much more expensive. Korean comes next and then Chinese. But the Quality is still very good.

Then again Quality of Indian goods are excellent! Except for stuff you buy in India itself which is crap. You pay more but get less. Like Moser Baer disks which is sold by most OEM's in the US/EU... Excellent stuff.. But you cant even find it in India and what you do find is like rejects. Cloths, nuts (which you can do find in India with its built in dead worm extra crispy taste...) and other stuff. Most Indian stuff in the middle east match quality of world products... Except some that get away like the worm laden wheat sent to Iraq.... I bet bribery and crime was involved in such transactions....

I think it is because they can get away with it. Indians are not demanding. And the manufacturers can always bully the government to tax any imports up the gazoo to prevent people from being able to buy it. Like you cant bring in Gold which in Dubai is 99.9% pure... by just paying the 10% so called tax... Instead you have to buy the indian version which is who knows how much copper... But hey, you seen some of the gold shops? Like Vegas.. and they didnt get that rich by letting the customer win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom