LCD's life??

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
Well i'm gonna buy an acer 17" lcd soon.. what i wanna know is that, asin plasma screen there is a fixed life duration , i think its about 10K viewing hours...
so is there a viewing hour life duration for lcd's too???

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
i dont know if this can be helpful,but For what purpose are u going to use that 17" LCd.

If you plan to use for gaming,watching movies on PC, CRT desktops(the bulbk ones which majority use today) are best because you can see some ghost like shadows on LCD.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Samsung SyncMaster 740N best in 17" inches category. Rated Best performance by PC world This month.
Hmm yes LCD's sure have life Span which is roughly 25000 to 30000 hours. considering they are on for 3 to 4 years 24/7.
Under same scanario CRT has life span of 12000 to 15000 Hours.
So clearly LCD's have more life Span.
Go for it.The newer ones dont have much lagging effect ...almost one in Movies or Games.

Alfansey06

Broken In
Lcd has a backlight source, which has some fixed life. not having the link right now. ?I have seen in some other forum - i cant remember now.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
The backlight can be replaced in the RARE case that it fails. There's no reason to believe that your LCD will not last for atleast 5 years.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
well i'll be watching a lots of movies and play a lots of games on it...
i m considering acer coz it costs just 10.5k for 17" and has a response time of 8ms.. pretty good, is'nt it???

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
For Extreme Gaming, CRT is better than LCD. go for Syncmaster/Acer CRT.

You can easily get a 19" CRT for this price.

CRT Monitors:

Pros:
Multisync Capable
High Refresh Rates
Color Clarity and Depth

Cons:
Very Heavy and Large
Use Large Amounts of Energy
Generate Excess Heat

LCD Monitors:

Pros:
Smaller and Lighter
Energy Efficient
Causes Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:
Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
Come Models Have Reduced Color Clarity

As you can see, LCD is better than CRT in terms of space. If clarity is your prime req., go for CRT.

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Those days are long gone when CRT's were better than LCD's for gaming. The new breed of LCD's feature really low response time with no ghosting or blurring whatsoever. I'm using a LCD and I find gaming to be far better than on my old CRT. Running games outside the native res dosn't seem to affect quality much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom