Lappy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Right now i am tryin to install XP SP2 on my frends laptop bu the setup process doesnt recognize the hdd. It loads all files n then gives an error saying that no detectable HDD attached.... Laptop is jus a coouple of days old n reason for installing windows is An Attempt To Get Rid Of Vista

So friends please help me out

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
codename , i think you had already vista, so perform chkdsk on it, if it stops then test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr website, Usually you will download the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media and do a thorough test.If the drive has physical errors, replace it.

OP
codename_romeo

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
@batista...... i jus installed vista again n it completed without a single problem though i could not partition my HDD....... Its XP SP2 thats not recognizing the HDD........ and please tell me some way to partition HDD after 0S is loaded....

primary 140GB
secondary 10 GB

wantu split the primary partition

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
^^ Disable Sata in your lappy's BIOS and try XP SP2 again... It'll work..!

that's a very very good idea, the problem is max. because of enabling this

@batista...... i jus installed vista again n it completed without a single problem though i could not partition my HDD....... Its XP SP2 thats not recognizing the HDD........ and please tell me some way to partition HDD after 0S is loaded....

primary 140GB
secondary 10 GB

wantu split the primary partition

partition manager

Last edited:

prasad_den

Padawan
that's a very very good idea, the problem is max. because of enabling this

partition manager
Experience speaks... :D
My HP lappy also had the same problem... but searched forums and got this solution.. or the option of slipstreaming sata drivers in xp disc and trying... Opted for the 2nd, and now having a dual boot with vista and XP..!!
Two weeks ago, installed XP on a friend's lappy by disabling SATA.. :D

NucleusKore

TheSaint
This will help you, Disable SATA native mode
*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00758841&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

OP
codename_romeo

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
checking it...... thanks for the link nucleuskore

After disabling the native sata support is it necessary that i have those driver files with me??????

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^ No. Change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE in BIOS and install Windows XP. No additional drivers required. Straightforward install :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Taken from the link posted by NucleusKore:
Disable SATA native mode
  1. Start the notebook PC.
  2. Repeatedly press the F10 key (or key designated by the notebook PC) until the notebook enters the Computer Setup screen.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select System Configuration .
  4. Use the arrow keys to select SATA Native Mode and set the mode to Disable .
    Figure 4: Disable SATA Native Mode
    *h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00763287.jpg
  5. Press the F10 key (or designated key to accept the changes).
  6. Save changes and exit Computer Setup.
  7. The notebook should restart.
If this doesn't work then follow the same link to integrate SATA drivers to the Windows XP installation CD.

OP
codename_romeo

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
i can go upto system config....... but then i dont have the sata native mode thing on this bios......

I downloaded the driver burned them on a cd but the damned setup wil read it only from a floppy drive( where wil i get myself a floppy drive on a lappy ) even tried with usb....... it wanted to install OS on the pen drive

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
If you don't haf an option for disableing ACHI (native STA) and enabling IDE
then follow the procedure given in the link by NucleusKore to download, extract and integrate the SATA drivers to your Windows XP installatin.

gopz

In the zone
Please give me the model number of your laptop

have a similar problem on DV 2415NR

Can you help? The setup process proceeds after booting from CD, but after the restart, WinXP logo is displayed, then it just shuts down.

No drivers loaded, HDD formatted & clean install, so it cant be a driver issue.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
have a similar problem on DV 2415NR

Can you help? The setup process proceeds after booting from CD, but after the restart, WinXP logo is displayed, then it just shuts down.

No drivers loaded, HDD formatted & clean install, so it cant be a driver issue.

It is a driver issue. Apparently its a made for VISTA machine. See the solution here
*jeremyfrombenton.com/2007/10/24/7-steps-to-delete-windows-vista-and-install-windows-xp/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom