LAN Trouble (pls help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack DumPP

Broken In
i hav 2 computers hooked up over a network with a switch. both the machines are running win98se and winXp sp2 and the network has been configured correctly on both operating systems on both machines with static ips.. the trouble is that on one of the machines im not able to see the other one in network neighbourhood while running winxp and the other one running either win98 or xp.. but i'm able to ping the other machine.. also internet sharing is working flawlessly under both the operating systems on both the machines.. pls advice.. :( :(

pls let me know if i need to provide any more details..

OP
S

Stack DumPP

Broken In
it is enabled.. one more thing, both the machines are able to see themselves alone in "entire network" when both are runnin winXP..

sakumar79

Technomancer
Does WinXP have Guest account enabled? If not, you will have to make sure that username/password combination is same in WinXP as well as Win98 in both machines...

Arun

prathap_lab

Journeyman
hi,
i think this may help you. install NetBEUI on both the systems. then they will automatically detect each other. NetBEUI is not installed in winxp. to do so follow the steps.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive and then locate the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.

2. Copy the Nbf.sys file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers folder.

3. Copy the Netnbf.inf file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden folder.

Note To make a hidden folder viewable, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then click OK.
b. Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to select Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.

4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

5. Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.

6. On the General tab, click Install.

7. Click Protocol, and then click Add.

8. Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.

9. Restart your computer if you are prompted to do this.

sorry. i could not get the link for the site. so i pasted the steps.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom