Lan Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

superuser

Broken In
Does anyone Knows how to Send Messages across LAN which popsup on the desktop of users and they have no option but to read it?

All the computers and me are using Win Xp

digen

Youngling
You can use the net send syntax at the command prompt for sending msgs across a lan.

net send "computername" message
eg.net send pally opera troller

where pally is the name of the machine i want to send a message to.
& opera troller is my message. :twisted:

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
superuser said:
Does anyone Knows how to Send Messages across LAN which popsup on the desktop of users and they have no option but to read it?

All the computers and me are using Win Xp
Digen has already given the answer ..
Just one thing ..
net send "computername" message will only wok if all of you are in same workgroup
or else
net send IPAdddres message always works where IP addr is in x.x.x.x kinda format
More Info HERE

For Win98 systems there is a command called Winpopup
Read more HERE

This is very useful thing .. but i wud still reccomend u to use other softwares like LAN Talk XP ...
Now it doesnt matter if the systems have XP or 98
*www.lantalk.net/lantalk-xp/

-----
alibi

digen

Youngling
Nice software mentioned there by alib_i.Yeah earlier versions of windows dont have winpopup installed by default for example windows me.
You can find it in the installation cd's though & copy/install it in your copy of windows.
To save the hassle use utilities such as the one posted by alib_i.

theraven

Technomancer
also to use net send command u need to have the "messenger" service running on ur computer
if ur computers are on the same workgroup and us till cant see the msg on the destination pc then do this on both ur computers
goto start=> run
type in services.msc and press enter
look for the messenger service and double click it
it is usually disabled
set it to automatic and restart
do this for all ur computers

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
ohh yes raven .. how did I forget to mention this ..
anyways .. net start messenger in command prompt can also start the service
and similarly net stop messenger will stop the service ( when u are playing games )
its very irritating when a netsend comes while u r playing some game !!

-----
alibi

theraven

Technomancer
and better yet make batch files for the respective commands and place them on ur desktop if u'll be doing this regularly ;)

cool_techie

Broken In
net meeting

There is a net meeting application within win xp itself..if u have come across u can use it .u can use that to chat (video and voice too supported )or also to share desktops.
If you have not installed , here is how you go about it ..Go to winxpdrive.Then got to /program files/netMeeting.

double click on file cb32.exe ,installation begins

This rocks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom