Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i have a LAN at home which consists of:
my PC which has two LAN cards. one takes the cable internet and the other goes to my moms pc. we share the internet connection and the ISP knows about it. we pay a bit extra for this.
the problem is that there are times , at least once in three days that i cannot connect to my moms pc or rather she cannot acess mine to get online.
the connections are always alive. the connection in my pc, called HOME has the IP: 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
when her connection is "dead" viz on but does not recieve any packets, her IP is : 169.254.200.137 and subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
when her connection suddenly feels like it, starts recieving and sending packets her IP is 192.168.something.something
another thing- somtimes in her PC if i disable and re enable the connection i can establish the connection but everytime i disable and then re enable , i get that red cross over the connection, error saying that the cable is unplugged. after a few seconds the cross disappears and the conn is on. whether its alive or not depends on its mood.
so whats goin on?
i repeat this happens once in three days, its not that my cable is cut or the card is gone. but its really getting on my nerves now

theraven

Technomancer
her ip is : 169.254.200.137 and subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
when her connection suddenly feels like it, starts recieving and sending packets her IP is 192.168.something.something /quote]
i didnt get u
U have 2 lan cards
ur mom only has one right ?
how can she have 2 ip addresses ?
anyways heres ur problem
for both ur HOME networkin cards ( ur 192.168.0.1 and ur moms 169.X.X.X )
they are on DIFFERENT CLASSES OF IP ADDRESSES
u have a class C address and she has a CLASS B address
this is where ur problem lies as far as i can see
change her ip address to 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0
OR set her comp to receive an IP address automatically
in this case everytime she connects to ur computer she'll automatically be assigned an ip address of 192.168.0.X and subnet 255.255.255.0
this IP address will remain with her for 8 Days unless set otherwise ( i dun think u can set it otherwise in winxp tho. . u can in win2k3 its a server os )
this is ofcourse IF she remains connected to u for those 8 days
u CAN flush her ip by typing
Code:
ipconfig /release
in command prompt
after this her ip will automatically renew .. ofcourse to a new value
if u would like to renew it manually u can type
Code:
ipconfig /renew
in command prompt

i hope this helps .. cuz i dtill didnt get the funda of her having 2 ips in one NIC

krish

Journeyman
my PC which has two LAN cards. one takes the cable internet and the other goes to my moms pc. we share the internet connection and the ISP knows about it. we pay a bit extra for this.

How do you share the connection?? Through a proxy server? or any other method?

Well, what I want ask is that if I do use a proxy server to do networking and share a single connection on 2 PC's, can the ISP know abt it??

theraven

Technomancer
@krish dude the isp wont know ur sharing a net connection unless u tell them
besided theres another way .. that is to use the dial in software on both pc's ... for that ull have to inform them
im using a proxy server too ...
i tried ICS but it wont work for me !
im havin a problem with my proxy software ... could u just tell me which one ur using?

krish

Journeyman
theraven,

Right now I'm on dial-up. So obviously I can't dream of sharing that connection. But I'm planning to take the BSNL's Broadband. In that case I will have to share that. And one of my friends have the dedicated line. They share it using WinProxy (as they told me). So, if u have any problem I can find it out.

And please do a favour. From ur posts it seems that u have a good knowledge of the various Graphic Cards & their models & variants. so please suggest me any source from where I can know that
thanks

theraven

Technomancer
hey buddy
we are all here to help
whatever u wanna know ask
for graphics cards the ones who know most from what i know are
blade_runner
and icecoolz
;) have fun !

anyways my problem is msn .. it wont sign in ..
with /without proxies ..
anyways ill figure it out :D thanks anyways

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
solved it! .......i just enterd the IP and subnet mask manually . i yet don know why the automatic config (obtaining IP automatically) was acting so cranky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom