KSEB says NO to Microsoft, saves 5 Crore !!! News From Kerala

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Source - Todays Mathrubhumi / Deshabhimani newspapers.

KSEB stands for Kerala State Electricity Board.

I posted some news before, as part of the savings KSEB made. Now it is fully done and wants to know the savings ? 5.6 Crore Indian Rupees !!!

They tested the system - includes office softwares, billing softwares, accounting softwares etc - for some months and didn't find much problem, so the shift is almost there. The calculated savings comes to Rs.5.6 Crore (I think it is not final, they are expecting it to come something thats slightly above 6 Crore).

I think it is a good move and good initiative / model for other departments to copy and save a lot of money. They are more into training and hopefully it will be a success in the near future itself.

Now do not start another OS war lol. As I mention always, move to Opensource wherever possible, save $$$ and when it is not possible, stick with the softwares / OS that we use. As simple as that.

unni

In the zone
Great news. I hope there won't be any more power cuts :D
Earlier post: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=622121

If the Indian Government approaches me, I would gladly make a DVD package distro thats pre configured with apps and themes for all their needs free of cost for them. After all, our country IS in a crysis now...

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Now I hope they can pass the saving to people by lowering electricity prices. Oh wait, that might not happen. This is a govt dept.

@metalhead
Its crisis, not crysis, gaming too much lately?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@din
i think this will help KSEB to cut off the recent daily current cuts:D
i feels really pissed off on KSEB these days

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Making a change in the school is comparatively easy. They are fresh minds, they are ready to accept changes, it is easy for them to learn too.

But I am sure it was a tough job in KSEB, first it is a Govt Dept, then most are not young. So it is a very good example how things are changing these days.

Hope other departments / people will go the open source way whenever they can, keeping themselves away form pirated / heavy priced softwares and packages.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Update.

The CM will officially launch the software (state level official launch) today. The name is - Oruma (Oruma is a malayalam word which means - unity)

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Update.

The CM will officially launch the software (state level official launch) today. The name is - Oruma (Oruma is a malayalam word which means - unity)

Oruma? Looks like an idea from Ubuntu. Nice :)

Last edited:

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Now microsoft will again turn to kerala for raids. It is quite refreshing to note that there are govt. depts in India who really want to save money.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Kerala is now opensourced :D. When ll Haryana Babu's wake up.

If the Indian Government approaches me, I would gladly make a DVD package distro thats pre configured with apps and themes for all their needs free of cost for them. After all, our country IS in a crysis now...

Lol
@offtopic what happened to your custom distro.

Now microsoft will again turn to kerala for raids. It is quite refreshing to note that there are govt. depts in India who really want to save money.

Please do not post comments like this. It'll only spark the flame war.

Last edited:
good move ..

off topic : last week i saw tht all our college pcs are using pirated windows xp.when i said tht to our teacher .. he said sadly tht is how things work in 'here'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom