Kolkata, Calcutta and Bengali Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

This is thread I am starting to discuss all about Kolkata, Calcutta and Bengali culture. From Ilish (Hilsa) to Mohun Bagan, from City Center to Coffee House, from Bookfair to Nandigram, discuss everything you want to discuss about Kolkata or Bengali's.

Starting with a list of Bengali restaurants that I had posted in another thread. I am reposting this in a more meaningful thread:

Bengali:
======
1. Bhojohori Manna - Gariahat/Saltlake/Hazra/Hatibagan
2. Kewpie's Kitchen - Elgin Road
3. Nola - Lake Town/Lansdown/Baguiati/Keshtopur
4. Oh! Calcutta - Elgin Road
5. 6 Ballygunge Place - Ballygunge

Chinese:
=======
1. Mocambo - Park Street
2. Chung Wah - Central Avenue
3. Hong Kong Chinese - Kankurgachhi
4. Kowloon - New Alipore
5. Lord's - Ultadanga
6. Mainland China - Gurusaday Road
7. Mouline Rouge - Park Street
8. Red Hot Chilli Pepper - Salt Lake
9. Trincas - Park Street
10. Waldorf - Park Street

Indian/Continental/Mughlai:
=======================
1. Zeeshan - Park Circus
2. Sourav's - Park Street
3. Royal Orchid - Ultadanga
4. Shiraz - Salt Lake
5. Orkos - Salt Lake, City Center
6. Peter Cat - Park Street
7. Magnolia - Park Street
8. Haka - Salt Lake, City Center
9. Hatari - Deshopriyo Park
10. Honey Da Dhaba - Ultadanga
11. Grain of Salt - Camac Street
12. Dilli Darbar - Ultadanga

And some in salt lake:
====================
1. BB's Multicuisine - Sector V
2. Guchhi - JA Block
3. Mishra's - DG block
4. Red Hot Chilli Pepper - Sector V
5. Zest - BE Block

Let's keep this thread going. Dada, lege thakun! :)

P.S: I did not find a thread similar in nature. So I decided to create this. Let me know if you think otherwise.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
crap..nola is rubbish..me and my frnd had gone to have some food..there was not a single item below 100...had fried rice at cofee house then.. :D

dude..shiraz is not in salt lake..then to we have to write bangur avenue too..its in park street..and in salt lake add abcos food plaza..

Last edited:
OP
sourav123

sourav123

Thinking Different
Yes, I know Shiraj is actually all over the city. So, making a comprehensive list is difficult.

By the way Abcos is in which block?

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
its beside suraksha..dunno the block but the food is awesum...also add the restaurant at the top of charnock..its pricey but yummy..:)

praka123

left this forum longback
does kolkata and bengal get over with the economic stagnation?while other small cities in India like Banglore and all arises!

When I was a child(~1980's),I remember most products,be it health care products to almost everything came from Kolkata apart from bombay :) .Now,Calcutta under commie govt is slowly going the right way? with opening and promoting private investments like the one with TATA.
I also feel Bengal needs more employment oppurtunities generated via pvt corporations?
the one happened at nandigram is bad.but...with more companies,more employment,fight against poverty :)

communist party is slowly changing.they are awakening from a "labour party" to the one which cater to state's needs,be it bengal or kerala.
Just wanted to know what is happening in Bengal :D

do share your views :)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^^aah..u r rite..its goin the rite way...but still alot of difficulties..the opposition parties hardly get along well and strife among themselves..a tooth off the hook by the left parties results in a strike..the IT industry is booming great guns..but will need time to convert into a revelation...all in all..good progress..but much more to be done..

int86

You'r Born Free
Bengal was glorious until 1940.
I also would like to know what went wrong there.
But anyway I like calcutta much.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
its moving on guys..commercially many big names have joined hands and more industries will be coming up shortly..the entertainment sector has grown with lots and lots of malls and multiplexes churning up..real estate is at a boom with ambuja and dlf running overtime with their multimillion projects..and guess what..we have a very own BMW showroom for ourselvess..:D

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
^^yea....the cars are absolute droolmaal :)

@Sourav...good initiative dude....but put in places to visit too, and what is it about Kolkata that we Bongs cant stop blabbering about :) its not only the food

OP
sourav123

sourav123

Thinking Different
^^yea....the cars are absolute droolmaal :)

@Sourav...good initiative dude....but put in places to visit too, and what is it about Kolkata that we Bongs cant stop blabbering about :) its not only the food

I know Gaurav. I am a hardcore North Calcuttan. :)

More things coming your way.

@praka,

In my view, Kolkata today has progressed a lot. It was in the 90's that economic progress slowed down and lots of companies closed due to strikes and non co-operative govt. But soon left parties realised their mistake. The turning point was when Budhdhadeb was selected as the Chief Minister. Also now the whole party works towars economic growth.

Having said that, there are a lots of things to do, especially in the small towns and villages outside Kolkata. I think now Kolkata has reached the point where it can go on its own. Govt. should put more emphasis on villages and small towns.

Cheers to the beautiful and charming queen of cities, the City of Joy. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
^ what about unsolicited immigrants from Nepal and Bangladesh?are they flooding the city still? :evil:

well,if Bangladesh should be the part of India,Bengal is a big state with power!
BAD!Moslems want unity and made east pakistan aka bangladesh chasing poor hindus from their motherland :x
...and now allowing this bangaldeshi immigrants,it is simply not worth for India :rolleyes:

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
^^People will flock wherever there are better opportunities, so we have to live with that. Your comments remind me of one politician from Maharashtra (you may have guessed who).

Rahim

Married!
does kolkata and bengal get over with the economic stagnation?while other small cities in India like Banglore and all arises!
Its not easy to bring any change in this world. Recently the Govt is trying to "modernise" or portray themselves as "Industry freindly" but thats a myth.
Of course many big names have invested here but its sporadic and uneven. Just look at the Singur fiasco. Land grabbing in the name of SEZ are rampant all over the country. Even a bunch of road side roddents can call bandhs here :)
The development is slow, no doubt, but its rather late than never situation for Kolkattans.

As about the immigrants, tell me has the forces in J&K been able to stop Pak-sponsored terrorism coming from the Borders?
No govt can solve this problem of terrorism :p
Your comments on this part was a little insentitive :(

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
well..cross border immigration has been on a high recently...but theres little the government can do about it... a strife berween bangladesh may lead to suicide bombing and other dangerous repurcussions.but i m happy in a way for kolkata as it is..at least we dont ahve to worry bout al qaeda or laskar to blow us up..theres always delhi and mumbai for the purpose first..kidding.. :D

we have some of the best sporting facilities in india..the eden ardens,the salt lake stadium ane few of the best grounds in india...

someone said that the develpment is only in kolkata..well..as in the rest of india...u cant say that places outside the metros have devoloped much..districsts likee durgapur and bardhaman are seeing rapid growths..with huge housing projects taken up and given shape..the tata factories have resulted in more traffic in area like singur...kharagpur..well..where theres an iit.. a new sector coming up,named rajarhat, shall see some of the best brands coming up to shw their chraisma..a few of the largest hotels and malls would come up there adding to the brand value of kolkata...

on the other..if anyone had been to kolkata 5 years back.will find a radical change in the tansport facilities available now...sure..we still are the most notorious traffic system in thw world..and we still break rules and have accidents..but it more unlikely now..the govermnment however..has done its bit in transforming the roads of kolkata..now we have flyovers running like snakes all over the city...as a result..there are less jams..and flow is smoother...

night life is at its best when it comes to kolkata..unlike delhi or mumai where girls are subjected to harrasment more often than not..kolkata has held its had high as one of the safest places in india..a girl returning home alone is still a cakewalk when compared to the other metros..

be free to ask anything..

karnivore

in your face..
a strife berween bangladesh may lead to suicide bombing and other dangerous repurcussions.
Kolkata is the safe heaven for all extremists. This is their transit city, a city to R&R, store their deadly wares, plan and plot blasts. Only an insane will be trying to explode bombs here. No one pisses on the plate, one is eating from. And only a naive will be "happy in a way for kolkata as it is".

we have some of the best sporting facilities in india..the eden ardens,the salt lake stadium ane few of the best grounds in india...
Joking.......right.

someone said that the develpment is only in kolkata..
30 yrs of mock revolution and "alternative budgets" have reduced Kolkata to nothing more than a large TOWN, towns into mofusils, mofusils into village squares. As with best brands that are coming to Bengal, i have seen enough to be overjoyed. Let 'em come, start production, then i shall see. The eternal leech called UNIONS would be licking their lips right now.

on the other..if anyone had been to kolkata 5 years back.will find a radical change in the tansport facilities available now...has done its bit in transforming the roads of kolkata..now we have flyovers running like snakes all over the city...as a result..there are less jams..and flow is smoother...
Agree with flyovers. But transport system has changed ??????? Damn it. I must be living in another Kolkata on Planet Utopia.

night life is at its best when it comes to kolkata..
Not a nocturnal person, so don't care about night life.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^^umm..dont u think ur being a bit too harsh..cummon..eden gardens is the best ground in kolkata..just look at the turf.forget everything else.. :D

salt lake stadium is by far the largest stadium in asia with a seating capacity of more than a lakh..india hardly has any soccer stadiums to talk about..

trffic has greatly improved..earlier it was a pain to cross ajc bose..now with the flyovers is much easier..the vip-saltlake flyover was the turning stone to the city's renovation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom