Knoppix XSever problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

h4xbox

Journeyman
My knoppix live cd...says It doesnt have a suitable xserver for my pc.

I just upgraded to 512 mb of ram. :wink:

Will it make any problem if memory is increased/decreased :?::?:

I ran another live distro , it has a xserver for my pc...but it cant be
installed in hd .. :cry:

Can anybody help :?:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
xsrever means your display has to be configured.There are many live cds.Try mepis or ubuntu live cd

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Ok tell me what is the proper error.So we can help you.I don`t think it anything to do with ram

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Get the latest version of knoppix also please tell us your mobo / graphics card. Genrally knoppix has a very good hardware support record and does work with almost all new hardware. Any way lets see what you post.

OP
H

h4xbox

Journeyman
The exact error message
Code:
"Kernel Panic : VFS : Cant mount root on 48:05"

I Think u ppl can help me now ?

ujjwal

Padawan
It could be due to a fault CD, try using a fresh cd and see.

Although unlikely, it could be a problem with the RAM, as it will try and create the root partition on the RAM itself. Try booting with the "knoppix mem=512M" option, it just may work.

BTW, you mentioned a problem with XServer earlier, was a different error coming up then? If so it seems to indicate a faulty cd.

OP
H

h4xbox

Journeyman
Faulty CD was already suggested by gnurag and i already tried in a new cd rw ..then only i get
kernel panic error.
Previously i got Init:"X" respawning too fast and cloop errors(thats when gnurag suggested me abt the cd)

ujjwal

Padawan
I think it could still be the CD, or your CD drive, anyway did you try the mem=512M option? Just possible that knoppix didnt detect the RAM correctly.

OP
H

h4xbox

Journeyman
yep i did try the option knoppix mem=512m ..but still no use. I am gonna try unbuntu linux :D

But another live cd i have for another distro which is with me.

OP
H

h4xbox

Journeyman
Now im using a small light weight firewall distro... very good look and feel..it has my fav xmms so i can hear songs while learning ;)

aloysiustany

Broken In
h4xbox said:
Faulty CD was already suggested by gnurag and i already tried in a new cd rw ..then only i get
kernel panic error.
Previously i got Init:"X" respawning too fast and cloop errors(thats when gnurag suggested me abt the cd)
Sir, please tell me how you got a new knopix cd? is it available out there for free? and would anyone send me the CD without any shiping cost? Since i am very poor i cannot pay for the shipping cost too.

OP
H

h4xbox

Journeyman
@aloy: Why dont u ask ppl at the local lug-->linux user group in yo city.... they can provide for free...I also asked the same way , sometime ago in digit with a topic anybody in chennai can give knoppix for free :p

BTW dont call me / anybody sir unless your sure abt their age.im just 18...thank you sir :)

aloysiustany

Broken In
h4xbox said:
@aloy: Why dont u ask ppl at the local lug-->linux user group in yo city.... they can provide for free...I also asked the same way , sometime ago in digit with a topic anybody in chennai can give knoppix for free :p

BTW dont call me / anybody sir unless your sure abt their age.im just 18...thank you sir :)
please could u tell exactly how to get to the local lug-->linux user group in yo city. i am from coimbatore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom