Knoppix 5.0 never halts clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.xolve

Broken In
I have an Intel PC with 845GV chipset motherboard and P4 2.4 GHz processor. I installed Knoppix 5.0 to my hd formatting existing Knoppix 4.0 partition. The priblem is that no it doesn't halt cleanly. With every power on fsck checks the partition for the errors. I tried it with all kinds of hd formats available. Moreover, now Knoppis on my pc doesn't switches to console mode with ctrl+alt+Fn keys. Pls Help

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Knoppix is a live cd distro and works better though cd drive. i suggest u to install some disto like fedora core, ubuntu, etc

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Ravi, Even my PC configuration is same as yours. I have tried Knoppix as a Live DVD,
didn't install it on the HD. There may be bugs. Though I'm not very sure about this.
You can try Suse 10.1, Ubuntu 6.06, Fedora Core 5 ( any of these).

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
@gary......I disagree. Knoppix works awesome when installed on hdd! I have it installed on mah lappy!
@ravi......I never experienced such things for knoppix! But from mah past experiences of linux, I observed that these errors occur when the cd itself contains corrupt packages! PLease try to boot it from cd mode and then shut it down! If it works then I recommend to reinstall with default/recommended filesystem! Last 2 weeks earlier, I upgraded from knoppix 4 to 5 without any problems! If ur problems still occurs then only thing I can suggest is to download the knoppix distro again.

Neways @ravi,@Jguru....we share the same configurations :):)!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mediator said:
@gary......I disagree. Knoppix works awesome when installed on hdd! I have it installed on mah lappy!

well i never said that Knoppix will give errors but there is a great chance of bugs as its poorly tested b'cos they developers made is with a purpose od a live distro and not a normal distro.

if its working fine for u then maybe u may not agree with me. but suggest to try distro's as well. u will lose nothig & learn lots of news things.;)

mediator

Technomancer
What do u mean by purpose of live distro and normal distro? Even the suse and others are making a live distro now. Not to mention windows is following the path too! Live distro doesnt mean it has flaws or is inferior! The purpose of Live distro is to give the users a look on how the distro looks and feels before they can actually install it! It can be used even on diskless PCs. Knoppix is a normal distro. But I suare its the best for mah lappy! It got the look and feel. I installed suse 10 on mah lappy, but I was dissappointed by it and then reverted back to knoppix!
Bugs are found in all distros! Knoppix is no exception. No body will use any other distro if its perfect i.e without any bugs! Bugs are founded to make the OS perfect.

Neways yeah he can use any other distro as well! He asked for knoppix so I presented my thoughts. Asking to try other distros is the next thing I'll suggest him. :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
i meant that live distro are meant & tested to run from cd-rom drives and not from hard discs, there is a geat chance of bugs left in it as it is poorl tested for running on hdd.

iF its running fine for then its o.k,i use it

mediator

Technomancer
^^And who told u they are poorly tested for running on hardisks?? A live cd doesnt mean greater flaws in installation on hdd!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Come on guys stop fighting. @Gary, mediator is right! Live CD can be run as Live CD
or can be installed on the harddisk. Some times certain packages become corrupt
and it may cause problems.

OP
R

ravi.xolve

Broken In
@<everybody> ehat i like bout knoppix is that it gives me the speed. ubutu, fedora etc are though much easy to use but they are bloated with services and pkgs i don't use.

knopix is simple lean and fast.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Ubuntu is more leaner than Knoppix AFAIK. I can't remember ubuntu packing much more than what is required by a home user. In fact to an extent that it is many times criticised for being too minimal. And I haven't found any real speed difference in the two.
Both have the same debian background.

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Yea thats true, UBUNTU is more light weight! When I installed it, I saw it wasn't bundled appropriately for me. And then I saw knoppix! :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I have installed knoppix to the hard disk, that was quite a while back but seriously I don't find it anything different when it is installed. It looses the kind of uniqueness that Knoppix as a live cd has.

praka123

left this forum longback
^^
I agree to the view
Knoppix better be as a livecd...even windows users knows and uses knoppix livecd.

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Nops, u said its not properly tested for running on hdd! There's a difference between 2 statements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom