Status
Not open for further replies.

neeravkothari

Broken In
i just got knoppix 3.6 and booted my pc from the cd. as expected linux ran fine without having to install it on my hdd. but for speed issue i want o intall knoppix on my winxp (like dual boot) and then run it. how do i install knoppix 3.6 on my pc?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
NOTE: to get root prompt on knoppix type this on konsole
$ su ( it should not ask you any password)

Follow these steps:
1) Ensure that you have an existing free ext3 partition... if not then create one using # qtparted , or # cfdisk

2) type these on konsole
$ su
# knx2hd

that should allow you to configure your installation and copy CD onto your ext3 partition...

tuxfan

Technomancer
Here's GNUrag helping you out. Trust me, he knows what is talking. He has installed Knoppix 3.4 on my HD. :D

BTW, from where did you get 3.6?

JAK

What the Heck !
GNUrag said:
NOTE: to get root prompt on knoppix type this on konsole
$ su ( it should not ask you any password)

Follow these steps:
1) Ensure that you have an existing free ext3 partition... if not then create one using # qtparted , or # cfdisk

2) type these on konsole
$ su
# knx2hd

that should allow you to configure your installation and copy CD onto your ext3 partition...

hey thankx GNUrag..I will try this too.. :wink:

tuxfan

Technomancer
Confusing OS? In what way? Are you new to Linux?

And if it is confusing, why do you want to install it to your hard disk? Try some other distribution that you feel is not confusing.

adhavan

Broken In
Knoppix on hard drive tutorial

check out *www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html
to know how to intall knoppix on har drive. It contains a step-by-step tutorial.

Also see *www.knoppix.net/docs/ for documentation of knoppix

allajunaki

Journeyman
OfCourse its confusing!
Its a altogether diff. OS. No matter how easy it is, its still be confusing to a newbie. But trust me mate, keep using it, once u get ur barings staraight, u will love it, Otherwise u can always switch back to ur M$ OS.

The least confusing and powerful OS is MAC OS X. But works only on Apple Computers... If Only Some got hold of its Source....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
allajunaki said:
But works only on Apple Computers... If Only Some got hold of its Source....
Just getting hold of its source code is not enough,... you need to have an appropriate FREE licence to make full use of it and to redistribute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom