Kindly help build the ultimate Apple iPhone FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)

Most of you know that I write for Macworld’s sister site MacUser. What you don’t know is that I’m also the Editorial Director (yeah, fancy title, I know :p) for an Indian Apple related website set to launch within a few days/weeks.

I’m working on a huge entry for it, hoping to address all questions and concerns related to the iPhone. This being a popular Indian forum, I’m hoping you guys can lend me a hand here.

Please post all possible questions you can think of about the iPhone in this thread—whatever they may be and whether you know the answer to them or don’t. Even if you think it’s a silly question or a pointless one, just post it. Think of any questions that your non-techie friends and relatives may have asked you about the iPhone and post them too. If you’re unsure whether it has been asked already or not, post it anyway and I’ll remove the duplicates myself.

Mind you, this is not a thread for discussion or anything. Just post the question and be done with it. I won’t be answering any questions here and hope no one else volunteers either. All questions will be comprehensively answered to the best of my ability, and with the help of a few other hardcore Apple loyalists, in the article I’m going to author.

Thank you!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Good one arya .. I have a few ..
Q: Will the iPhone work with my existing SIM/Service Provider?
Q: Can I import my contacts from outlook?
Q: Who will take care about the warranty? Apple or Airtel/Vodaphone.
Q: How can I install Opera mini? ( no im not asking this question.. my friend asked abt this) :D
Q: How can I transfer my contacts to the iPhone from my existing phone?

offtopic:
Q: Can it make Cold Coffee? :D

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
How much will the iPhone cost me, considering all the costs including the tariff plans?

Does the camera support video recording?

Can I send and recieve files/use it as a modem/use wireless stereo headset via bluetooth now?

Can it be used with operator apart from Vodafone and Airtel?

Will I be able to use 3G on it in India?

Can I send and recieve MMS?

Do I have to use iTunes for it?

Is the battery user replaceable?

Does the camera have auto-focus/flash?

Will I be able to carryforward my current Vodafone/Airtel number if I switch over to the iPhone?

Can I use any headphones with it now or do I still need an adaptor?

Would I be able to get my old, unofficially bought iPhone fixed in India if it goes kaput now that the iPhone is officially launched?

What about Softwares/games for it?

What about Java apps/games?

How durable is it to use as an everyday phone? Can it withstand some hard falls?

Will I be able to use stuff on it like Youtube or Google maps?

What audio/video formats does it support?

Does it have FM radio/voice recorder? Is there any accessory which can enable these?

How long does the battery last?

Will I be able to download stuff over Safari?

Does Safari support flash? Can I view youtube videos on Safari itself?

How is the sound quality of music?

How loud is the loudspeaker? Will I be able to hear my phone ringing in a crowded place? How about music?

How is the signal reception quality? Is there any problems with voice transmission? How does voice sound? (natural/metallic)

That's all I can think of now. Will add more later.

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Can i bring it to home and unlock it?

Can i buy unlocked iPhone3G?

where to buy unlocked iPhone?

Can i sell unlocked iPhones?

if i sell unlocked iphones at what price should i sell so as to gain maximum profit?

even if i fail to sell , will u buy some ?

what about setting up an auction for it?

in ebay?

Can we homebrew the new iPhone?

Can we run PSP games in the iPhones?

can i use VNC with my iPhone?

what is jailbreak?

can childrens buy iphones?

where would u think i should steal the iphone?

should i really steal?

if i get caught after stealing , will u take responsibility?

or even steave jobs?

what about thounds of mac fans ?

will they protest?

what about japanese chickz?

do they love iphone?

is iPhone cute?

is Jailbreaking worth it?

^^Stumbled that :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
^^^ Uh... why spam a thread like this? Makes it difficult for the rest of us who want to see what questions have already been posted.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Spamming : * It is a procedure of abusing the normal search engine ranking techniques, such as using hidden text, excessive repetition of a keyword, etc. ...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Can I exchange my iPhone (the one I purchased from some other country) from Vodafone/Airtel/Apple here and get the new 3G at a lesser cost?

goobimama

 Macboy
How strong is the iPhone? Will it get scratched if I put it in my pocket? Or will the screen crack if I drop it?

How do I clean my iPhone?

Is there any way to protect my data if the iPhone is stolen? Can I somehow track my iPhone if it is stolen?

What is the best and easiest (preferably free) way of converting my avi files to iPhone?

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
Only thing that comes to my mind is that 8 gb price is 199 dollars thats less than 10k here right so wat will be the price . . If its so then it ll be a huge demand and how much ll be the supply here . .
and is it the 3g model they are talking abt . . And there is no edge support right so its going to be of any good using it for any other thing but show off . . .

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I’m writing this article today and have already sorted out and removed the duplicate and useless questions from the list above. Thanks to all of you for the support, specially Charan, krazzy, iMav, FilledVoid and goobimama! If you could all PM me your full name and blog/website address (or any other web address you want linked to), I’ll be happy to credit you in the article. :)

If you have any last minute questions, now would be a good time to chime in. It hits the press on Monday.

[No credit for the questions asked from here on.]

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Credit? Sure! Why not? I'll like to be credited as krazyfrog. I'm known more by that name on the internet than my real name. In fact, I'm sure I'll forget my own real name one of these days.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Due to this unfortunate development, the reigns of this article have been handed over to Milind now. I’m sure he’ll do a much better job than I could have ever hoped to do.

He’ll let you guys know when it published.

Enjoy and goodbye! :)

goobimama

 Macboy
I've just watched a movie, where there is this sad part where the main leader of the group dies, and in his dying breath he gives the task of doing whatever to the guy who ends up becoming the hero of the film. And then I see this post... What am I to think! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom