Keyboard shortcuts for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,

I wish to know details about keyboard shortcuts for Linux... Specifically, I am looking to know if there is any way I can use the Windows key on the keyboard, and what is the shortcut to switch between the 4 desktops provided...

Arun

mediator

Technomancer
ctrl+alt+arrow_left/arrow_right
To use windows key
Gnome => System => prefernce => keyboard shortcuts! Use the win key!

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
sakumar79 said:
Hi,

I wish to know details about keyboard shortcuts for Linux... Specifically, I am looking to know if there is any way I can use the Windows key on the keyboard, and what is the shortcut to switch between the 4 desktops provided...

Arun
Can be configured but details depend on what window manager/desktop environment you are using.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am using Vector Linux... Using KDE and not gnome...
ctrl+alt+arrow_left/arrow_right doesnt seem to work at least in KDE for me...

Arun

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
sakumar79 said:
I am using Vector Linux... Using KDE and not gnome...
ctrl+alt+arrow_left/arrow_right doesnt seem to work at least in KDE for me...

Arun
The right shortcut for KDE is Ctrl + Fx (x = 1 to 12 depending on the desktop number you want to switch to)

So if I wanna go to Workspace #3, I'd press Ctrl + F3 button :)

Additional:
[For more than 12 desktops, upto a max of 16 desktops, use Shift + Ctrl + Fx (x = 1 to 4) for 13, 14, 15 and 16 respectively]

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Thanks for the info... How about getting the Win key to work in KDE? Also, is there any tool by which I can assign shortcuts to lauch programs, and modify existing shortcuts, etc?

Arun

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't have KDE so can't check but you should look around in KDE Control Panel, it should have some options to that effect, I believe.

Maybe you can get some answers here *developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/keys/shortcuts.html

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
There's an very easy thing you can do in KDE regarding shortcuts.

Go to KMenu > System Settings > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts Tab

Under Shortcut Schemes sub tab, choose the Scheme as Windows (With Windows Key)

Or alternatively, keep defining your new shortcuts there instead. I thought KDE was easy enough to navigate onto this nifty feature. It supports shifters the best.

(The entry for opening the Menu is 'Popup Launch Menu' under Panel categorization of Global Shortcuts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom