1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

KDE's serious vulnerabilities put Linux,Unix Systems on risk

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by praka123, Feb 1, 2006.

?

Do You shift to GNOME or other Window Managers ?

1. Yes.I am moving/already using to GNOME/other WMs

100.0%
  2. No.I never leave KDE is such a nice Desktop Environment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

Source
    patches are available at kde ftp mirrors..
    I think this is the time KDE Users should @tleast try to move toGNOME DE or anyother lightweight WM/DE.GNOME is based on pure OSS.As U know KDE's QT has got a confusing License terms resembling a propreitory License.

2. vignesh

vignesh New Member

I am using Gnome..even since.

3. infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude Wire muncher!

i wouldn't wanna let go of kde!

4. Satissh S

Satissh S New Member

Ah! Hope we dont split into kde n GNOMe guys. OSS communities are quite dynamic and rest assured prakash, Vulnerabilities wud be patched soon. I personally use neither.
    I use a personalised fluxbox with personalised menus. lots of keyboard shortcuts and dashboards etc., and my work wud be seriously hampered if switched to any other WM. So kinda addicted to it.
    I haven't read the 'trolltech qt' license fully but have seen first few lines of it in the 'qt designer' About dialog.. Something like 'qt' commercial license and 'qt' OSs license which does not allow the code developed to be used for commercial purposes and the like.. not sure. correct if wrong. :)

5. infra_red_dude

yeah you are right about the terms & conditions satish s. but seriously till a few years ago i was a bigtime fan of gnome + enlightenment. ever since i saw kde3, i switched over! well the kde vs gnome was is an old one!

6. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

I find KDE better than GNOME so I would go for KDE as my default DE. Haven't used any WM's so extensively so will be moving to them soon.

7. eddie

eddie El mooooo

Since it is about security it is imperative to mention here that the vulnerability was found by a KDE developer only (Maksim) and was patched without any delay.
    www.kde.org/info/security/advisory-20060119-1.txt

Also even if this vulnerability was ever exploited by an attacker, he could've taken control of your system "only if" you used konqueror as your web browser and that too as root. Otherwise the maximum that the attacker could've done was do something bad to the user's account. Agreed that is not a small thing either, but just wanted to clarify this thing.

If you have reasons other than security then I am all ears but if you are talking about security then the following links might be of interest to you.
    http://secunia.com/product/219/
    http://secunia.com/product/3277/

I am not saying that one product is better then another one. Just giving a view about security advisories, so please don't flame.

8. eddie

eddie El mooooo

The following links might interest you.

http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/topic/10
    http://www.terra.es/personal/diegocg/kde/

9. OP
    OP
    praka123

I dont want to flame.regarding security things,these are been fixed and if older versions of vulnerable software exists are pathched by the distro vendor.for eg;Debian.and searching for KDE/QT in secunia site will display a whopping number[Found: 216 Secunia Security Advisories, displaying 1-25]while GNOME shows smaller number of vulnerabilities[Found: 105 Secunia Security Advisories, displaying 1-25]but GNOME is the product coming from floss volunteers,when KDE started as propreitory.Because of the very existance of GNOME DE,QT announced KDE/QT as GPLed as U quote.As about GNOME's vulnerabilities,it is got fixed really fast..and i donknow why KDE's given an uphand though GNOME exists as a 100% free DE.Trolltech's ambitions with qt/kde are not that good looking for OSS.And i hate KDE's Wingdowish look if U mind it or not.Why should we hold the ghost of Wingdows in GNU/Linux as KDE?.Hope Linux will grow with GNOME and other open window managers.Happy GNU/Linuxing!

10. infra_red_dude

aaah...do i smell another kde vs gnome war????!!!!

11. eddie

eddie El mooooo

When it comes to vulnerabilities, its not the number but the severity that matters and GNOME clearly has more severe of them.

I don't think so. You should see the "Solution status" on the Secunia links I posted in my earlier post. You will find that out of the 5 vulnerabilities found in GNOME since 2003, none has been patched till date while out of 30 found in KDE, only one is still unpatched. Now you should decide yourself as to who is fixing the vulnerabilities faster.

So does KDE.

Please be kind enough to explain that statement.

Lets just stay with security issues, else this topic will become a flame war :)

12. niranjan_mcarenyold

niranjan_mcarenyold New Member

13. OP
    OP
    praka123

Aww..Yeah..Me waiting for Next GNOME release /\
    KDE [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.