KDE Sets its Sights on Windows, Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
KDE isn't just for Linux anymore. With the recent release of KDE 4, the K Desktop team has set their focus on porting the core libraries that power KDE applications over to both Windows and OS X. Although still in the early stages, there are already builds available for both platforms that will enable you to compile and run popular KDE application like the Amarok Jukebox or KOffice suite on either Windows or Mac, and KDE's goal is to have production-ready versions out later this year.

KDE 4.0 recently came out of beta (see our previous coverage) and during a KDE event at Google’s headquarters on Jan. 18, Aaron Seigo, KDE project lead said that the plan to take KDE cross-platform is “potentially one of the game-changers” for KDE.

The goal is not so much to replace the desktop environments that already exist in Windows and Mac OS X (Explorer and Finder), but to enable applications which use the underlying elements of KDE to be easily ported to both OSes.

The KDE Windows packages are now available for developers and feature a number of components, though the effort is far from complete. The Mac OS X effort is also still in the early stages, but the important thing to keep in mind is that these are not part of an emulation layer, they are actual native apps for each platform.

The move to bring KDE to Mac and Windows is not without its detractors though. Some argue that bringing Linux applications to other platforms will hurt Linux adoption in the long run. There may be some merit to that argument, but it’s equally valid to say that it may well ease the transition to Linux for many users since they’ll be able try out applications on their current platform and see how they like them.

That KDE apps on Windows and Mac have come as far as they have in such a short time is a testament to the KDE community and will no doubt be welcomed by many on both platforms. The goal is to have both ports out of beta status by the time KDE 4.1 is launches later this year.

*blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/01/kde-sets-its-si.html

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hey, KDE was already present on Mac. On mac it requires X11 which is present on the installation DVD of Tiger OS. But I'm keen to see it on windows platform. Will they port AmaroK too, i love that software.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^Yes..I am sure they are considering that too...

Guys,what do you think ? From OSS point of view, Is this a good move ?

There are two schools of thought on this one..
a:> It will allow windoze users (and ppl who have not migrated to linux) to try and test a Desktop Environment and then, when they become comfy with that, move on to linux.

or

b:> As it will provide a DE with all good apps on windows, it will stop users (in terms of motivation) from thinking about moving to Linux.

I am more towards the "a" school of thought! What do you guys think ?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Me too in a. The people will see that how beautifully the apps of Linux run. Secondly they're less resource hogs as compared to the Closed Source or commercial ones. So people will definitely move to Linux.

@Mods, how about creating a Poll on this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom