KDE 4.0 Release Schedule Finalised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
The KDE Community and the release team have put together a release plan for the long anticipated version 4.0, which is planned to be released in October 2007. KDE 4.0 will be a major milestone for the Free Desktop, as it offers a new foundation and set of frameworks that will shape the desktop user experience for years to come. Users will benefit from improved speed through Qt 4, integration of hardware through Solid, multimedia performance via Phonon, usability enhancements by close collaboration with OpenUsability, new real-time communication options with Decibel, spell-checking with Sonnet, comprehensive desktop search through Strigi and Nepomuk, a new desktop metaphor through Plasma and, last but not least, a completely new artwork experience called Oxygen.

Read on here : - *dot.kde.org/1174481326/

Sykora

I see right through you.
I can't wait. Although Gnome is more accessible, KDE is definitely the more advanced desktop.

eddie

El mooooo
Sykora said:
I can't wait. Although Gnome is more accessible, KDE is definitely the more advanced desktop.
Things will definitely change as KDE 4 matures to releases like 4.2 or even 4.3 may be. Association with OpenUsability and Nepomuk will not go down the drain just like that :)

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I read somthing like the KDE becomes more unstable with every release?
Is that true?:)

I definately agree that the programes of KDE are much more advanced and gudluking than those of GNOME.:-D

OP
M

mehulved

Coming to the windows port of kde, it seems to me, there might be a problem if it's compiled using gcc. See *www.trnicely.net/misc/vista.html
If they use some compiler that uses MS's win32 API then it won't be such a problem. I did hear that kdelibs were compiled using vc++, if I remember right, then it shouldn't be a problem.
As to the stability question, a person from kde-in team told me that 3.5 is the most stable version they've got till date and maybe 3.5.x will be the last version before kde 4 appears. So, the FUD about it's stability problems is unfounded.

knight17

In the zone
I recently read at /. that KDE can be ported to Windows WITHOUT any problems. However, I am not aware of the technical details.

mediator

Technomancer
Kewl....N I guess the experience will be more thrilling since I'll be upgrading straight to FC7 in June-July. So it will be having kde4 and all the latest goodies!

eddie

El mooooo
tech_your_future said:
Coming to the windows port of kde, it seems to me, there might be a problem if it's compiled using gcc.
There might be a problem if it is compiled using GCC 3.04. The guy is using ancient stuff. Someone tell him to come out of his cave. BTW Gaim, GIMP, Songbird etc. have been reported to work on Vista without any problems and they are bound to use more than 32MB at least.

OP
M

mehulved

Is mingw32 available for gcc4? It's possible to get it manually as I have heard yamaraj mention it, but I know nothing of it really.

eddie

El mooooo
This thread seems to be talking about it but in my little search I found that mingw people were waiting for GCC 4.1 to become stable. Now that it has (for long time infact), they might get it working officially
*forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108215

mediator said:
Kewl....N I guess the experience will be more thrilling since I'll be upgrading straight to FC7 in June-July. So it will be having kde4 and all the latest goodies!

FC7 is scheduled for may last week , so no chance of kde4 being included in it,hope it could be possible for open suse 10.3.

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm...din see that! Then I'll include it myself. I hope quad core comes by the time and at a cheap price!

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Oh sorry, it was written that KDE becomes more stable in every release.
Sorry for pointing the finger on K..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom