KDE 4.0.1 Is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/4975/kmenu.jpgThe first bugfix edition of KDE4 was released out in the wild, yesterday, as the KDE Community announced.

KDE 4.0.1 brings you a lot of stability and performance improvements and many updated translations for most of its components. It is already translated into 48 languages and more are coming soon.

We all know the problems with the shared components used by the applications. Many of these issues got fixed, and your life will be much easier. You will notice that there are a lot of bugfixes in KHTML, Konqueror's HTML rendering engine.

The next edition from the KDE 4.0 branch, KDE 4.0.2, will be released at the beginning of March, including more updates and bugfixes. This summer, KDE 4.1 will be available and will be based on Qt 4.4 with all its performance and functionality improvements. Rawhide - the unstable version of Fedora - is one of the distributions that already have KDE 4.0.1.

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/5047/snapshot1.png​

In two weeks, on 19th February, you might update to KDE 3.5.9, if you prefer the more stable KDE 3.5 branch. One of its key updates will be an improved KDE-PIM, Kommander and Quanta Plus.

Here are some of the changes in KDE 4.0.1:

kdeui:
  • Fix crash in KAboutApplicationDialog when the constructor was called with aboutData == 0.
  • Open correct help pages from KConfigDialog.
  • Prevent crash in KBugReport.
khtml:
  • Fixed Ctrl-A in Konqueror location bar.
  • Fixed regression in key codes on keydown/keyup events.
  • Fixed improper exception raising in removeAttribute.
  • Support onload events on script elements; needed for jQuery.
  • If a frame is an IFrame, always embed its content, do not show a "save or embed dialog". Prevents multiple dialogs from popping up when visiting netvibes.com.
  • Multiple fixes to DOM2 traversal (TreeWalker, NodeIterator and NodeFilter). It is now advertised as a supported feature by hasFeature.
kdialog:
  • Add new entry at the end of the list and return the correct item.
  • Return 1 when textbox got closed with close button or ESC.
Download : KDE 4.01

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
yes and ubuntu provided me with some 130mb of updates.after seeing the first version so buggy i decided not to update:(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
yes and ubuntu provided me with some 130mb of updates.after seeing the first version so buggy i decided not to update:(
As KDE people have themselves said, if you want perfectly stable version then wait till KDE 4.1 release. You can't do both, use unstable version and complain about it. If you want to complain there's bug reports :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I updated it yesternight. There were some Kernel updates as well so mine went up to 142MB. Would try it today.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
As KDE people have themselves said, if you want perfectly stable version then wait till KDE 4.1 release. You can't do both, use unstable version and complain about it. If you want to complain there's bug reports :)

hey thats what i'am doing.waitin for the 4.1 to update to it.:mad:

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
The damn thing is slow even on a gig of RAM :(
Wasn't it supposed to have lesser memory footprint than KDE 3.5.?It sure looks good.I might try it on Sabayon.But can get it only after Feb. end.:( Hope they fix most of the bugs and release a new version by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom