Kaun Banega Game Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
hey all,

im starting this topic to spread the awareness about game development (gd). if u have any kinda info about gd then post it here...but plz dont post any game reviews n all...i think there r enough threads to take care of that.

i will b posting some gd stuff...so keep coming back n dont forget 2 contribute..thats d only way to learn

take care...bye

vandit

In the zone
some time ago one of the digit ( or chip) cds had game development software.... I tried but it could only make simple games like mario,arkanoid type...

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
hey man,

u r lucky 2 have created atleast some games...i know guyz who have tried very hard but failed to comeup with anything....how abt posting it over net..just a thought :) if u have some tutorialz, that wud b gr8

voops2k5

Broken In
Hey guys,

If you are really interested in programming games, check out this site: *nehe.gamedev.net/
It's really good for beginners. If you have any more questions go ahead and ask me cos i am an enthusiast too. I have already tried out a few of the tutorial programs in both windows and linux and they work great !!!

-Voops

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
i gotta a few book bout game programming...i ya need it, i can send it 2 u..if ya have anything..u can send me :)

voops2k5

Broken In
Well then,

I have :

1. Beginning OpenGL game programming
-Dave Astle, Kevin Hawkins
2. NeHeTutorials_A4_Book.pdf
3. OpenGL Programming Manual (Red Book).pdf
4. OpenGL Reference Manual (Blue Book).pdf
5. Programming Linux Games.pdf

Which books do you possess?

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
i got following
1. who wants to be a game developer (very old book)
2. learn directx in 21 days (forget it mate)
3. opengl book (dont rem the name)
4. game development programming guru
5. lots of tutorials

actually i dont rem the names...i will give u the details after i get back home...im in office right now

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
i guess u are a programer most of the games are devolped with coppration ie a team either at coperate level if any one wants to be in game devolpment first he need to get his knowledge up to date if progmerr learn c and c+ thouroughly and if a artist he has to be proficent in software like max maya etc and photshop the best starting points is to make a mod for games like halflife i not seen trends of making mods in indians somehow sadly this is how one can devlop a game on exp bases

voops2k5

Broken In
Hey,

ASH18MARCH wrote:
"a artist he has to be proficent in software like max maya etc and photshop the best starting points is to make a mod for games like halflife"

Very true, but do not loose heart. You can make mods , models and 3d worlds. Some time back Digit had issued a copy of the GMAX software. This is an excellent software for 3D artists. I had used this along with 2 other s/ws "q3pointrelease_132.exe" and "tempestinstall.exe". Now, I did not create any major new mods. But by simply following the tutorials i could create a 3D world which I could hook up with Quake 3 (and play in it too!!). These tutorials are very simple to understand.

Another good software for 3D modelling would be Blender.

All these software are free (or u would just need to signup, like in case of GMAX).

What i am trying to say is that we need not learn GD with the intention of going commercial or becoming gurus. We could make it a hobby, Like I have :wink:

Regards

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
voops weell said i agree with ur software of choice blender is good and yes gmax right it is good too but if u want tonsaty competitive right now and in par with technology source engine is the way to go so make ing use of the software devolpment kit of halflife 2 is the way to go . also an artist needs to downloade the maya learning edtion from www.alias .com
its a need blender is powerfull but its workflow is difreent from a lot of 3d software so if u choose 3d as a criier u will have to learn maya ,lightway softimage,zbrush , max some of this zbrush especailly is a great tool to learn .

for progmmers the way intially is easy as the material to start of like compilers are easy to get but programming for game development is a diifernt thing all to gather unlike conventional programiing the challages are huge especailly if u want to take it as a profession its easier to find artist but realy tough to find a coder

actually i prtty suprised that in such a game forum this is a first topic started on game devlopment i think this is the right step ahead and thisthread should be made sticky so gamers can add thier game devoper views here for evrone to share and inspire people in this dream profession

hey voppps i also have a same hoody o game devolpment would be joing a mod soon would love to know more about u can personal messge me if u want to

voops2k5

Broken In
Hi all,

I did not know there was a "Maya 6 Personal Learning Edition" !!! This is soooo cooool, do you gys think Digit can include it in the next issue ??? I cannot afford to d/w it over the internet. U C i have a modem connection.

BTW like ASH18MARCH said: "its easier to find artist but realy tough to find a coder". True again !! There are many good institutions for 3D artists in our country. Like Arena Multimedia or Animaster (<-this one is more into animation, Arena is basically multimedia oriented). But they are quite costly. I am not trying to advertise anyone here. I myself am basically an embedded design engineer (Animation business is still my second choice ;-) though). Last year after finishing college (BE in CS) i had given a serious thought to career in animation.

Oh well !!!, anyways if any teens (or post-teens like ourselves) have some time (during summer holidays or so) we could join for some good course.

Coming back to coding games, the website that i earlier mentioned is excellent for starters. Games like Q3 HL2 are openGL based ie why they could be ported to linux without much sweat. Using a source engine would be a great idea !! What i believe is a lot of games from IDsoftware are openGL based so u can include "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" with other 2 also. The source engine for these games is avaliable. Just google for it !!

Seeya :)whew:)

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
well vopps i dont think digit can get a personal editon of maya learning edtion of maya but u will have to ask i it is possible very unlikely as alias want to be in control of it regarding animation true it esay to find artist but to find good artist it is difficult and also institute like arena macc are just pice of scarp if u want to realy learn 3d animation u will have to go otuside india institute like macc arena just teach u the softwre part but the real thing is how to creat decent art using this software in which they miss out as none ofthier trainer are qulified artist they have just learned the software and staretd teaching intsitue like gnomone etc are the real the one which will make one into a accomplished artist also u have to have love and devolpe some skills for the field

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
hi all,

maac n arena r the only institute who knows a thing or two about 3d software but learning a s/w and using it to build something special are two tottally different thing. in india everybody is going after 3ds max but at international level it holds the last place in term of popularity. true 3d modelers works on xsi and maya........as far as game programming goes...i dont think there r any institute in india...if u know then post it.

newayz...all u game geeks, if u have developed any game or tutorial then post it somewhere on the net......or we can build a homepage dedicated to this thread....sharing knowledge with others is the only way to learn gd

more later....bye

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
painkiller i agree partly and partly i disagree with u in software of choice
3d max is not a choice of software for a lot of people outside true but there is a catch

what application one choose is the type of cg u are making and for what purpose
say u are making a movie animation or model like say the tripods for war of the world then one choice of application is maya since nurbs modelling ie curve moddeling is highly used for movies as this is one great way of making high poly models ie models over 2 millon polygon

were as for games u reqire low poly models which are modeled iby a method called polygon modelling say 10 thousand poly like that this is a strong point of max yes 3d studio max so max is the choice of application for games max ihas efficent toolset for games

lightwave is lossing base and it wont be long before the company loosee the battle

xsi is coming up and futre batlle will be maya vs xsi xsi is the only 3d software used in making halflife 2
max was used for unreal 2004

for games learn max but yes maya is the futre with polygon limits becoing higher and higher as a 3d artist u need to know atleast 2 software well for u to surive in the industry phtoshop being the third

voops2k5

Broken In
Hi,

I have never got to try out maya or 3dsmax. But 3dsmax and gmax are from the same company (Autodesk). I do not know which all features are different between 3dsMax and Gmax. If some has worked on both of them, please take some time and point them out (differences ie). As far as i know both should have quite a few similarities. And thus it should be good enough to start with Gmax (being free). At least for learning/fun purpose.

BTW It has always surprised me that, GD and animation being truly into artistic domain, there is still dominance of more males than females in this industry. If there are any females reading this I would like to ask them if they had ever given any serious thought to be major players in this industry. The best part abt this industry is that u may work from home !!

I have seen aunties take up cooking lessons and embroidery. Just imagine what they could create with knowledge of 3d modelling/animation?? Especially our country is so rich in culture.

Hope i am notdrifting away from the topic too much :D

PS: Guys check out *opengl.org/applications/ for some cool OpenGL games (free, share, comm, etc.) some even provide source code and run in linux.

ciao :wink:

G

gxsaurav

Maya is basically made for animating & modeling non-parametric objects, water or sea made in maya rendered in mental ray will be better then 3D Max but a Pawn or say a tank made in 3D Max will be a lot better then Maya

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
hi all,

thanks 4 ur excellent posts...i think we have enough discussion bout 3d part of gd...lets move into gd programming...plz post useful links regarding gd programming...from beginner 2 advance

@ASH18MARCH
i completly agree with u...the choice of 3d s/w depends upon the art 4 r goin 2 create

one of my friend has done a 3d course frm vfs...u can checkout his work at:
*forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258432
he makes some killer 3d art....take a good look at his robot :shock:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
TESTER

I would like to increase the scope of this thread=> Can anyone tell what qulaifiaction one needs to be a GAME TESTER? I am asking in this thread as it is related to jobs in gaming department, and i am interested in it, as many in this forum. :lol: Also if it has been already discussed please do direct me toward that thread :p :arrow:

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
@wizrulz

nice que mate...u dont need to do any formal trainning to be a game tester [GT] except playin lots n lots of games...but the fact is there r hardly any game studios in india....so may not find any work in india but in us/canada/uk every single game company r having 100s on GT, if u r goin abroad then try ur luck there...best of luck frm me...and dont forget to send me game titles when u got the job :lol: if u got any work in india as a GT then contact me...i wud join as well :wink:
bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom