k750i - Memory Card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raja manuel

In the zone
I need to transfer large files from work and other places (not official stuff of course, mpgs, stuff like that), so decided to buy a large memory card for my phone, as I could also use it to store music, shoot long videos etc. As drivers need to be installed, I also decided to buy a memory card reader so I can transfer without installing anything.

I had a 2 GB (or larger) card in mind. When I went to the dealer, he told me that a k750i does not support large memory cards like 4GB. It will support 2GB but the phone will be very sluggish, to the point of being unusable, will support 1GB but the phone will still be very very slow. So I now have a whole slew of questions:

1. What is the maximum memory card size k750i will support, even if very sluggish.

2. What is meant by the phone being very sluggish? Will it only be accessing files that will be slow, or will all uses, like reading or writing sms also be slow with a large memory card?

3. Will the phone be sluggish only when there is a lot of stuff stored on the memory card, or will it be slow even when the card is empty?

4. If the phone will indeed be very slow, what is the largest practical memory card size the phone will support?

5. Who would be a good dealer in Chennai (perhaps Ritchie street) to buy memory cards/card reader/pen drives from? I asked in a few of the larger stores, prices quoted were 800 bucks for a card reader! I don't want to spend more on the memory card than an iPod.

6. Most important question of all, is it possible to use the memory card in the phone for transfering files - zip, mpg, jpg, etc., and (shudder) even work related DOC, XLS, PPT files? Note: I will not be transferring copyright files like mp3s. Is this asking too much of the phone, or will I have to go for a pen drive?

I don't want to buy a pen drive as my pockets are not deep enough to buy a seperate phone, mp3 player and pen drive. More to the point, they are not large enough to carry all that :) so I thought I would go for a one-size-fits-all solution. I don't browse the net or play games on my phone. I use it as a camera, alarm clock, task scheduler, occasional music player and large doses of sms. Sometimes I make or receive calls :) so will a sluggish phone really be an issue for me?

My apologies for the long question. And thanks for all the help.

K

krazyfrog

K750i can support upto 2gb card without any problems. And this is official info that can be found on Sony Ericsson's website. The phone will not be 'sluggish', or anything to that effect. You can buy it without any concerns. As for the dealer who told you all this (the phone being sluggish and all), the less said about his knowledge the better.
Since you're going to use a card reader, you can of course transfer any kind of file on the card. If the files are not supported by the phone, it'll happily ignore them. No need to spend extra on flash drive. But you'll have to carry your card reader everywhere.
Since i live in mumbai, i've no idea of shops in chennai.
I hope i've answered all of your queries. And thank you @dinesh_mettur for my recommendation.

karthik55859

Broken In
i own k750i and indeed i use 2 GB card...........for past 6 months no question of hanging,sluggish,....slow response.....
the card is fully loaded [1.6gb]......

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
theoratically it supports 2gb max. but the architecture is same, so unless sony dumps the pro duo standard i believe k750i can support upto 4gb or even 8gb cards that may come out.

also, unlike other phones (mostly which are based on symbian), these firmware based os phones do not slow down wid large storage cards. 1gb memory will definitely NOT slow down ur phone. my fren uses it. another fren uses the 2 gb stick on w700i and its as fast as ever!
one more thing abt using it as a flash drive. yes, you can use it as a flash drive widout any problems. i suggest, u copy the drivers of a mini cd (8cm disk) and carry the data cable. this way u can manage ur phone on the move and also use it as a pen drive. i'm not sure but xp sp2 may not even need drivers. just confirm from some k750i user.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
1. 2GB

2. Accessing files ll be slower...

3. Only wen the card is filled

4. 1GB works perfect

5. Dunno

6. yup

the k750i is a very fast fone... it ve never seen it lag...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
K750i as said has a firmware based OS, they do not get slow with big memory cards like Symbian OS phones from other vendors & Sony. This is a plus factor SE phones have over Symbian

1) It supports 2 GB max, right now

2) All phones use "phone memory" as RAM, so u should make sure it's as free as possible. Even if the card is 90% full it won't affect phone performance

3) When u copy something to K750i which is not mp3, jpg, 3gp, mp4....or anything like that which can be played on K750i, it goes in the "Others" folder in File manager.

Best bet it to zip everything. Now if u send it via bluetooth it will automatically go in "Others" folder. If u use a card reader or the bundled USB Cable, then u can copy the files anywhere in the card. It's just a card like any other card. However, u will see the copied files in the Phone only if copied to the provided folder, like 3gp in movies folder, or mp3 in music folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom