jpeg virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Is there something called a JPEG virus? I am confused. Today, in my mailbox, I found an anonymous email which said some christmas greetings and then that monika also misses me. Now I know a monika and I thought I'd donwload the 230k attachment which was there. When I scanned it with norton, I it said no threats found. But when I unzipped the file, I found that the file was named greetings.scr.jpg. Hearing that there isn't anything like a jpeg virus, I opened it to find that it wasn't a valid image file....

So, am I infected? Cause norton says no.

Milind

Tech&ME

Banned
which operating system you are running on your comp ? if windows xp go to the microsoft website and download GDI+ scanning tool to see if you comp is really infected if so download the patch from the same website.

swatkat

Technomancer
goobimama said:
Is there something called a JPEG virus? I am confused. Today, in my mailbox, I found an anonymous email which said some christmas greetings and then that monika also misses me. Now I know a monika and I thought I'd donwload the 230k attachment which was there. When I scanned it with norton, I it said no threats found. But when I unzipped the file, I found that the file was named greetings.scr.jpg. Hearing that there isn't anything like a jpeg virus, I opened it to find that it wasn't a valid image file....

Milind
The file has two extensions (one fake) and this makes it suspecious.Get any other updated AV and scan ur computer.Also scan fo Trojans using SpyBot SnD,AdAware,SwatIt.
*swatit.org/download.html

There's a virus called W32/Perrun (which is mainly an exe file) which when run,drops an 'infector' which infects the jpg files by attaching the viral code the image file.But reports say that the infected jpg file cannot do any harm to a 'new' computer in which the 'infector' is not present.So,even if it is an infected jpg file, u dont have to worry unless u have the 'infector' with it (exe file of Perrun virus).

bravefart

Broken In
lamrinnirmal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:00 am Post subject:
ask monika ! Wink

Hahahahah :lol: :lol: That was a good one .

Milind

First think Jpeg file cannot have a virus ; rather no image file can have a virus; Virus do not work that way. Secondly file with extension .scr.jpg is not a jpg file or image file.
Many Windows screen savers come with a .SCR extension by default. Usually these will be found in the Windows main directory. Use caution if you receive a screen saver file via E-mail. These files can contain executable code and can be worms or viruses. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension. (DOS DEBUG Input File)

Just visit www.sophos.com for more detail on latest virus ; their details and also Virus hoaxes.

Peace V

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
bravefart said:
First think Jpeg file cannot have a virus ; rather no image file can have a virus; Virus do not work that way. Secondly file with extension .scr.jpg is not a jpg file or image file.

You are mistaken .. There was a recent JPEG exploit that allowed remote code execution through JPEG files that would crash your browser ..

See the results of the query for more...

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
yeah .. you are right batty ..
links from microsoft for the same
September 2004 Security Update for JPEG Processing (GDI+)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-028
@goobymama .. if you are not using WinXP .. then i dont think you need to worry abt this exploit !! ( correct me if im wrong ! )

-----
alibi

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I am using windows xp and I have tried norton, adaware and that gdi thing, but to no avail. Anyway, I don't think I have any problems so why worry!

Anyway, to one of those guys who said some stuff about "two extensions" .scr.jpg, doesn't it clearly state that it is a jpeg file? cause the last extension is a jpeg. (I had to turn off "hide known extensions" to see the .jpg)

Anyway, I asked monika about it (I was hoping it would be her, she is such a hot girl, I would have liked her to resend the pic......but she had no idea. (thanks for the tip)

Milind

theraven

Technomancer
the extenstion can be changed
just like u did "Show file extension"
now when u rename the file u can rename the extension as well
thats what whoever changed the extension did too !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom