Joining IBM Daksh on 20th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Hey, friends, this is the first time I am posting a new thread in chit chat. I attended an interview last week at candor services in Malviya nagar in Delhi and got an offer for ibm, gurgaon for techsupport. I join on 20 june. I am just a wee bit worried on what all i can expect in a bpo, since i have worked for over 3.5 years in non-profit organizations. I am quite capable of holding my own and am looking forward to the work, but i know zilch about ibm's work atmosphere and stuff. Anyone working in ibm and specifically in gurgaon? maybe we could swap numbers and get in touch.
Any other advice also would be good.
I have noone else to talk to about this, since my present employers are not too happy and most of my friends are not too knowledgeable about bpos. I am also feeling a bit lonely, discouraged and nervous. (man, i haven't even updated my blog since the interview) Some words of encouragement would be nice.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
hey, don't worry. changes are always fir the best. and u're moving to IBM man, what more could u want!

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
thanks xbonez. I would still like to get to know someone who works in ibm so I can have a talk. I think most would be on duty right now. Maybe someone will reply in the morning.
By the way, is IBM that good?

Pathik

Google Bot
well IBM DAKSH is one of the best bpo and kpo centres.. Btw wat post do u hold there?? And congrats.. :)

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i think kpo means knowledge process outsourcing?
I don't know anything about bpos. I am not even sure if ibm has outbound processes. I assumed during the interview that all processes are inbound. My designation is executive - operations. I don't know what that means.
I have my fingers crossed. Lets wait and see.
It was a quick decision I had to make and so i didn't do sufficient research.

Pathik

Google Bot
well from ur designation it seems that u wont hav to take calls and stuff.. But instead manage the operations and the staff.. Do u hav night shifts?? Did u sign any bond binding u to the company?? Also take care abt the pay they offer u.. Generally its ctc(cost to company) and not the actual pay u get in hand

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Generally its ctc(cost to company) and not the actual pay u get in hand

@pathinks, can you please clarify it a little bit more.... :-?

Congrats @ilugd for getting a job in such a company....BTW I am also trying to get something similar here in Kolkata...Can you please tell us how much they are offering you (if you don't mind)...

Regards

Subrata Bera.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
pathiks said:
well from ur designation it seems that u wont hav to take calls and stuff.. But instead manage the operations and the staff..

He says he is recruited for tech support, and Executive - Operations is an L1 calling job alright (Mine was the same). He will be taking calls.

@ilgud

I had been selected in IBM DAKSH, I worked for some time like a month. You are going in from Candor, which is a consultant, I am sure its gonna be tech support, incoming calls - (Never heard of non calling recruitment from a consultant), well for the first week when you have the induction, which will be a lot of paperwork, and it will be time consuming say 10-12 hours a day. Then they will throw you in training and after training you get to work means call.

One word of advise, if you are joining in calling Do read One Night @ the call center before you go any further.

As for the work env - I cant tell you much considering I ran off in a month but a friend of mine who is an assistant mgr in IBM DAKSH says its cool enuf. I am in delhi and am pming you my cell number. call me if you want.

PS - I ran off in a day from GE (Sorry):)

Last edited:
OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
hey thanks everyone. Thank you very much for all the encouraging words. It does put my mind at rest. I will respond to the posts one by one.
I didn't sign a bond. We are on probation for 6 months and then the offer will be finalized. I don't know if there will be night shift or day shift, but since they were interested in accent interviews, i presume that it will be for serving the west and is voice based, so it has got to be the night shift. I didn't enquire all these stuff during the interview. I regret it now. But i assume that i will be getting inbound technical support queires from the us or uk and i will be responding and solving those queries.
I don't mind telling how much they are offering me but their document says that i am supposed to keep that confidential. It wouldnt do me any good if any one trolling this forum finds that out. Maybe i will pm you, ok?
Basically I was selected because of my technical skills and my english was above average. My accent sort of sucks.
The HR Head mentioned something about Band III executive or something, I now remember. Wonder what that means too.
I have my induction on 20th June. Training is for one month. I don't know the work load and stuff. By the way, what paperwork is there to do? Do they teach how to enter reports and stuff or is it working out the HR papers and stuff?
I am also concerned about whether the training will be tough and if it is difficult to "hit the floor" as my friends call it. I think i can make it easily but i would like some inputs on what all they teach in the training and how they evaluate.

I have already read one night @ the call center quite a few times over a year ago and I think it is just a glossed up version of something the author has heard. He has not really done much research into the industry. It is too innocent. But nice reading anyway. :)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
If you really wanna go into call center ilugd..then only go ..i will here list some pros and cons

Pros

- Big bucks and good salary
- Free dinner etc .

Cons

- Your social life ..like everybody sleeping at night ..u working at night..whole biological clock of body changes.

- Erring customers ..even sometimes some videsi people give u gaalis etc..racist etc .. :x :x :x

- difficulty in switching to software industry after BPO

I have heard and read this all abt call centres..

so just give a thought before joining ...

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Yes third one is true until unless you are able to give strong reasons why in the first place u joined BPO and wanna switch to IT ..

kumarmohit

Technomancer
There is a better way, since you are doing MCA and wont continue with bpo once its done, the software company need not know you worked for BPO, the continuity gap will be patched by MCA.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
thats right, kumar mohit, i can be quite frank about my present needs and why i needed to switch from an ngo to a bpo. Most people understand, once i explain.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
thanks man. But I am damn nervous.

and in this nervousness, am not a bit interested in checking my mail, visiting any forum or even updating my blogs. Waiting with fingers crossed for 20th.

Last edited:
OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
sorry for digging up this thread again, but just figured that I should let everyone know how it turned out. IBM sucks man, for all its name. They kept postponing the triaining and it seems they have not held one till now. In any case I was lucky since the company I worked for (and still work) gave me an excellent counter offer. As they say, it is only at the funeral that everyone remembers how nice the deceased man was. At the last moment they seemed to think I was irreplacable. In any case I am now the third most paid person in the office. But they are patching up now according to designations. Lot of hard feelings over here now. You should understand that I work in a church.
In any case, I gave the IBM Daksh offer a pass.
And thanks kumarMohit for your nice advice during the phone. Could you pm me your number again? I cleaned up my inbox and deleted the mail by mistake.

By the way, kumar mohit, do you change girlfriends like you change your job? :-D

prateek_san

Phenom II X4 920 Owner
@kumarmohit

why did ya ran off from GE ???? what did they do to u ???

well im still working in GE capital past 2 mnths ..hasmt faced any problems till now .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom