Jodhaa Akbar - Ashutosh Gowariker's Magnum opus

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Just returned from Akbar's Court, Agra.

Amazing classic! I loved the every 202 minutes I spend this morning. Very grandly shot and attention to detail is good.

I don't think many would love this movie. If you're in a haste, it would be painfully slow. I loved Swades, but it didn't run well in Box Office. Same might happen with this movie. :(

Would you believe that the movie received standing ovation at the end and taliyan here and there!

Historians and people who say the movie historically incorrect - shut the **** up.

A must watch.

*ashwinr.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/soundtrack.jpg

My Review: Jodhaa Akbar - Ashutosh Gowariker’s Magnum Opus

8/10

Last edited:

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
Re: Jodha Akbar - Ashutosh Gowariker's Magnum opus

@ drgrudge - If you liked the movie... then its time I give it a watch. ;)

Waiting for your review. :)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit

@grudgy ..even swades is my fav movie..kal jaunga JA dekhne ....(office sucks :x )

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

My Review: Jodhaa Akbar - Ashutosh Gowariker’s Magnum Opus for those who are interested.

I hope Bal Thakeray and the babus of political parties watch this movie. AR Rahman should be awarded "Bharat Ratna" for songs like:
- Yeh jo desh hai tera..
- Tamilzha Tamilzha (dunno the hindi version) - won National award for the first film itself
- Maa tujhe salam
- Azadi (bose)
- Azeem-O-Shaan Shahenshah (see the lyrics, amazing!)
- Chale Chalo (Lagaan)

Last edited:

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!

Nice Review. :)
I was going to watch this movie neway and now that i have read ur review its Must Watch. The song Azeem-O-Shaan Shahenshah is absolutely brilliant, the instruments n lyrics and what not.

adi007

Youngling

That's strange..
many of my friends who have watched the movie said it's a crap...and moreover the movie reviews in some TV channels reviled the same thing...but ur review is entire different...ur review has made me to try it...lets see..

now one thing i must say that this film has raised several controversies regarding historians .. i have heard reports that the film has fully changed the history.....well this is not good..misleading the people about the history is certainly not a good thing.....we must respect the history.....

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

That's strange..
many of my friends who have watched the movie said it's a crap...and moreover the movie reviews in some TV channels reviled the same thing...but ur review is entire different...ur review has made me to try it...lets see..

But in this regard I actually like drgrudge's review. All said that OM SHANTI OM was great(nah not good, but great) but I found it a crap.............

Last edited:
OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

adi007 -
Did you read what I had to say on history?
I don’t really care about historical accuracy in movies and people who care about it should locked up in room with a TV running History Channel 24×7.
:lol:

It's just a movie why bother about history. Minor errors are ok and it's not right to fuss. IMO, Jalauddin married Jodha bhai and built Taj Mahal when she died.

And each one have their own taste. I didn't like movies like Dhoom 2, Welcome, Om Shanti Om, Priyadarshan movies of all kind, etc. but these movies did really well. Also I wrote that it might not blow you off..

iNFiNiTE, eggman -
Thanks. :D

sreevirus

Certified Nutz

Good review grudge... I was planning to go and watch this one on Sunday.
I don't exactly like Mayank Shekhar's reviews, but I read it in today's Mumbai Mirror (he awarded this one 4 stars out of 5). Somehow, I felt compelled to watch it after reading the article. :)

Oh grudge, its Jodhabai, not Jodhabhai. Bhai gives it altogether a different connotation. :p
Rectify it on your blog too...

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!

^^ Lol. yup its BAI not BHAI. :D

Anyway IMO all the protests are totally useless. Its just a movie and that too one in which the director is trying to show his impression of the past using a bit of imagination. After all its folklore that Akbar married Jodhabai.

Same was the case with Lagaan, It was abt a cricket match between the villagers and the Britishers. It doesnt meant that cricket in India is the gift of Bhuvan and this team. :rolleyes:

praka123

left this forum longback

from some sane reviews,it seems for ordinary viewers like me,this film is another Rassiya sultana,Aaga Khan type :twisted:

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Ahh sreevirus, that's a embarrassing error. Corrected it. Thanks for pointing out.

Anyone seen The Great Escape? It's one of my fav. movies and it also was at the receiving end for historical errors.

praka123 -
What do you mean by sane reviews? :(

hullap

Cyborg Agent

Yup i hav gr8 escape.
downloadedfrom mininova:twisted:
GR8 MOVIE

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

rajeev masand gives it 4 out of 5; mumbai mirror gives it 4 out of 5 and grudgy u can revel in the fact that rajeev masand too found the same areas as positives as u did

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz

its quite a big movie for me to sit and watch.
but will go and watch this one.

Yup i hav gr8 escape.
downloadedfrom mininova:twisted:
GR8 MOVIE
even i checked it at mininova.
but the movie is Superstar and not Jodha Akbar. :D
its just released and there can be a dvd rip so soon.

Last edited:
OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

rajeev masand gives it 4 out of 5; mumbai mirror gives it 4 out of 5 and grudgy u can revel in the fact that rajeev masand too found the same areas as positives as u did
It's a great movie. People who say it's not as good, can't appreciate quality movies.

**** the DVD rips, I'm going to the Cinemas again. It's not worth to see such a flick in TV/PC.

karnivore

in your face..
Hav'nt seen it (probably never do so), so can't comment on the technicalities. However when one makes a period movie, one has to be true to the facts, as far as possible.

"Jodha Bai" was never the wife of Akbar. She was the wife of Jahangir. Hence the movie becomes irrelevant in every sense of history. Factual distortions here and there are probably acceptable, but turning history on its head is probably not.

Another film i will mention is "Devdas", which of course is not a historical movie and probably out of context, but surely a symbol for bollywood's mediocrity. SLB, never quite understood the characters, just made a movie with is mediocre intellect.

Makes me wonder........is grandeur everything in movies ?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom